New Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deaner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Wiggins, MS
I am going to change receivers and the ones I would like to purchase do not control the servo motor and the actuator. I need something that will be hard wired to take over the present set up. What I have looked at do not fill my needs unless I am not understanding the discription. The g box 4000 would fill my needs but I do not believe they are being manufactured yet. Maybe you can correct me or point me in the right direction.

you could use your analog receiver or 4dtv to move the dish & control the polarity and slave the dvb receiver off of it. ( at least until a g-box type mover hits the market )

some of the pansats can control the polarity ( but without a v-box or gbox can't move the big dish)

My present receivers are lacking in a few areas so I would like to not use them. I have had them repaired only to have more problems so I thought it was better to move on . My new Fortec star is not working proper and will need to be checked out. You could say my luck with receivers is not worth talking about. I am not sure what is involved with doing away with the servo motor and changing the lmbf. I am not sure if this is possible or not???

What kind of issues are you having with receivers? Curious if you are having issues with surges or other electrical problems.
As far as changing out the feedhorn, if your current feedhorn has an adjustable scaler ring, it wouldn't take much to change it out (providing the new feedhorn fits ok in your existing scaler)
If you don't have an adjustable scaler, then you will have to change out the scaler ring which means it will have to be retuned and that can be a pain - I'm dealing with that right now myself.

I have not found any of the v-boxes that can control and remember the positions of my dish better than my old ORB-7500 analog receiver.

I have a V-box 4 and it is quite awful at keeping the positions in sync.
I know its not the wiring or the motor since the analog box is connected to the same dish and does not seem to ever lose positions and need re-sync ing.

I liked the function of the stand along dish positioners like the v-boxes with the seemless operation of one fta receiver remote and the receiver would send diseqc commands to the v-box telling it to move the dish. It was just too much trouble constantly re-syncing.

My 922 remains frozen in the dish setting numbers so it will not move the dish, the 920 I have not tried to repair and it will not pullup the menu. I have a 480i that is out of whack the last owner stated. I have Fortec Star that is not receiving the signal so it will not function. It is new and never used so I will get it repaired. The Fortec will not help on moving my dish.

You can find analog receivers on ebay sometimes, for little money, I've even seen a few brand new ones for sale. With analog subscriptions ending soon there should be plenty of them hitting
the sales and thrift stores.

If you're willing to consider switching to a voltage controlled lnbf, then this would work quite well:

Moteck Digipower V-Box II DisEqC 1.2 POSITIONER VBOX VBOXII

I've been using it for over a year now and have had no issues with losing satellite positions. I use a PC card and have channels from several satellites programmed in. I even have the PC card connected to Sage TV using a network encoder and several favorites that record automatically each week. C-band with a guide and high quality DVR is pretty cool!

Last edited:
I sent the Fortec Star to one of our sponsors for repair. Satellite AV is who I sent the receiver to for repair. I should be looking to them more for what I need in free to air.

G-box

I have basically given up on using the G-Box in an automatic USALS mode.

I like to rename my satellites for longitude and band, so the c-band satellite at 99w is "Galaxy 99/C" and the PBS satellite now at 125 w is "Galaxy 125-Ku" .
I don't think the G-box likes it when you rename the satellites.

In the automatic USALS mode, sometimes when you change birds, the thing goes off on a frolic in the opposite direction. Since I need to keep the G-box remote out anyway, I finally disconnected it from my receiver and just use it as a stand alone positioner. It works fine that way.

Lone Cloud
maybe i'm missunderstanding you, my v-box III is a stand alond positioner or can receive DiSEqC 1.2 motor commands from the receiver. my v-box III can't do USALS.

so i don't know if the g-box 3000 can do automatic USALS mode.

I am going to change receivers and the ones I would like to purchase do not control the servo motor and the actuator. I need something that will be hard wired to take over the present set up. What I have looked at do not fill my needs unless I am not understanding the discription. The g box 4000 would fill my needs but I do not believe they are being manufactured yet. Maybe you can correct me or point me in the right direction.

There are some oddballs that will control the positioner and servo, but they can be difficult to get your hands on. The Satcuiser I have does both DVB and analog. Unfortunately it won't do AC-3 audio. I previously used a Manhattan plaza, which didn't have analog and also would not do AC-3. Supposedly the Topfield TF5000Cip will do AC-3 although it lacks analog, but I haven't found anyone that will ship one to the US yet.

There was one cheap limited function reciever I saw in Telesat awhile ago that had a built in 36V positionor control. I'll try and find which copy.

It is the Venus Millennium II EP receiver and it controls a motor ,but not the skew.
The report is on page 52 of the 0811 issue found here: http://www.tele-satellite.com/eng/

Maybe one of these days somebody will come out with a good receiver that can control a 36V motor, skew, DVB-S2, 4:2:2, PVR, AC-3 decoder and dual tuner. Anyone else got any suggestions for this dream receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts