New Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tx_Reb

Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Texas
Looking for some advice. I've been a DirectTV subscriber for a little over two years now. When I initially signed up, I was sold on the "DirectTV protection plan". For $8/mo, you get an upgrade every two years plus protection for your entire DIRECTV System. So now my 2yrs is up, I was looking to go ahead and upgrade my equipment for "free" to the latest offerings. However, looking at the current models, appears they've only added a 4K receiver and the changes from my existing HR44-700 are not all that significant.

So I've been pondering if the $8/mo for the last two years was really worth it. I've put in $200 at this point over the period and a new receiver is $300, but if they don't rev them faster, I'm wondering if it's really worth it. Thoughts?

Anyone heard of when the next series of receivers will be out? When I called DirectTV, I was told on the phone that I had a "limited time" to upgrade my equipment for free, which I think is total BS. As long as I'm paying, I should be able to upgrade at least once every two years.

We have never paid for such plans because we've been patient enough to wait long enough for DirecTV to upgrade us for next to nothing.

You can see my signature for what we have and had. But I can say that we initially upgraded to HD only after a couple years after DirecTV went lease-only on their receivers (in the meantime, we used an OTA antenna to get HD channels while awaiting an upgrade path). That was for no charge but reup on contract.

Then, we waited about 3 years (maybe slightly longer) and researched the Genie DVR. When the HR44 came out, that's what we went after an upgrade (because it included wifi). We got it for $95, because DirecTV required pro install of the wireless video bridge (wireless minis are fantastic, BTW) and contract reup.

Now, we're contract-free but won't be going 4K anytime soon because hardware and protocol standards aren't completely finalized.

I say save the extra money and simply plan ahead for what you need in terms of receivers and wait until DirecTV lets you get a fantastic deal. Also, since the receivers are leased, we know that we don't need extra insurance; when they fail, DirecTV replaces them for cost of shipping (since we have normal wear and tear).

I say save the extra money and simply plan ahead for what you need in terms of receivers and wait until DirecTV lets you get a fantastic deal. Also, since the receivers are leased, we know that we don't need extra insurance; when they fail, DirecTV replaces them for cost of shipping (since we have normal wear and tear).

Totally agree that it's a waste of $$$; you'd get more out of that $8 using it on a nice dinner. :DI'll also add that if you ask nicely, & particularly if you've been a good, long-term customer, they'll even waive the S&H on replacement receivers...I tell all my clients this & I couldn't tell you the last one that didn't get it waived.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)