new Samsung 8 series TV issue with AppleTV box

tcpuccio1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Lancaster, NY
Hello long time Samsung TV owner first time I have posted. I have multiple Samsung tv's I just upgraded my Mancave TV from a 39" 5 series tv to a 43" Au8000 series tv. Tame hook up that I have had for a few years just took one TV off the wall and put on the new one. I have dish network connected to the tv as well as an apple TV box. the new TV apple TV is unwatchable. I have it in HDMI2 just like the other TV when I watch it doesn't matter what app I'm using on the Apple box the screen blacks out and come right back on again it's cyclical it happens every 10 to 20 seconds it makes it unwatchable. it only blacks out for maybe a half second. It's like the Box pauses and then starts back up on its own. I have the apple box set to match frame rate in the settings. When I first hooked up the box to the TV and turned it on the tv said it was matching the settings or something like that. I have 2 apple TV boxes and they both do the same thing. the second box I have hooked up to a 65" 8 series TV that is maybe 3 years old not an issue. the 5 series TV no issues this new TV it's impossible to watch anything on the TV using the apple box. the HDMI input for Dish works flawlessly. Not sure if it's a TV issue, settings issue or compatibility issue. Frustrated. Thank you in advance.

Could you more specifically define "unwatchable"?

Is all content "unwatchable" or just the 4K content?

The new ATV was designed with a definite nod towards Samsung TVs (it added support for HDR10+).

Hello long time Samsung TV owner first time I have posted. I have multiple Samsung tv's I just upgraded my Mancave TV from a 39" 5 series tv to a 43" Au8000 series tv. Tame hook up that I have had for a few years just took one TV off the wall and put on the new one. I have dish network connected to the tv as well as an apple TV box. the new TV apple TV is unwatchable. I have it in HDMI2 just like the other TV when I watch it doesn't matter what app I'm using on the Apple box the screen blacks out and come right back on again it's cyclical it happens every 10 to 20 seconds it makes it unwatchable. it only blacks out for maybe a half second. It's like the Box pauses and then starts back up on its own. I have the apple box set to match frame rate in the settings. When I first hooked up the box to the TV and turned it on the tv said it was matching the settings or something like that. I have 2 apple TV boxes and they both do the same thing. the second box I have hooked up to a 65" 8 series TV that is maybe 3 years old not an issue. the 5 series TV no issues this new TV it's impossible to watch anything on the TV using the apple box. the HDMI input for Dish works flawlessly. Not sure if it's a TV issue, settings issue or compatibility issue. Frustrated. Thank you in advance.
You need THIS Hdmi cable. You don't need to buy it straight from Apple, BUT, it must be this one, or equal to all the specs in able to work right, otherwise you'll get the flashing:

You also need to do this: In the Apple TV 4k, change your video settings to: Format - 4K SDR, HDMI Output: YCbCr, Chroma 4:4:4:4, Match Content: dynamic range and frame rate ON.

Leave "Dolby Vision" setting alone. IF you use my settings above, it'll automatically turn that setting ON when a video that has Dolby Vision needs it. Otherwise, the Apple Tv will ALWAYS be in Dolby Vision mode, and you do NOT want that!

Reactions: Foxbat
Leave "Dolby Vision" setting alone. IF you use my settings above, it'll automatically turn that setting ON when a video that has Dolby Vision needs it. Otherwise, the Apple Tv will ALWAYS be in Dolby Vision mode, and you do NOT want that!
With a Samsung TV, you should leave/turn off DV, they only do HDR ( and newer TVs HDR 10).

10-20 seconds often implies that the ATV is having trouble negotiating an HDMI/HDCP handshake with the TV. That's not usually a high-speed cable problem however the existing cable could be bad.

Your TV is fairly old school in terms of HDMI features. It doesn't support HDMI 2.1 so an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable isn't needed.

I would try would turning off the frame rate matching feature of the ATV.

Check to see if the TV has the latest firmware (v2111.1 dated November 22, 2022) installed. I would note that there's currently a thread on the Apple Community site that sounds very similar to the problem you're having. Maybe this latest firmware either fixes or created the problem.

With a Samsung TV, you should leave/turn off DV, they only do HDR ( and newer TVs HDR 10).
A Samsung TV wouldn't negotiate a Dolby Vision connection as Samsung is categorically opposed to supporting DV. Some other HDR version would be selected automatically by the ATV (if available).

Both the TV and the latest ATV support HDR10+ which would theoretically be preferred over HDR10. Prior to the latest ATV, the Apple TV did NOT support HDR10+.

What is in that cable that isn't present in an $12 cable from Monoprice?
I don't know, but Apple recommends that one. I also had the flashing he's getting, and it stopped when I got that specific cable. Also, my tv set can do Dolbyvision OR HDR10. There's posts (or was when I originally searched months ago) of others that also had the flashing issue that stopped when they used that cable.

Also, my tv set can do Dolbyvision OR HDR10.
The TS's TV supports HLG, HDR10, HDR10+ but doesn't support Dolby Vision. HDR10+ is Samsung's alternative to Dolby Vision.

Both the Belden and Monoprice cables are identically certified by the HDMI Alliance and both are overkill for the TV in question. I do not dispute your choice to use the Apple-recommended product; only that is the best choice given the circumstances.

I got it sorted out. it's not a cable issue. It's the HDMI port I tied port 1 and 2 did the same thing. I didn't realize there was a 3'rd port on the back of the TV 1 and 2 are on the left side of the TV. I plugged the apple box into that and the Tv did it's self set up it asked me if it was a PC or not I selected no and it worked right away! not sure if the resolution of that port is different or not. regardless it worked and I can't tell the difference in picture quality. It's way better than the 5 series TV I had prior so I'm happy. thank you for the replies.

I followed Mike’s link over to AVSforum and my email inbox has been getting Spammed ever since. Surprised my Foxbat account was still working. Sadly, though, this simple link follow let the bots know that the email account I used to enroll in AVSforum was still active. I’ve learned since then to use a sacrificial account to register for forums, but back then, I hadn’t learned my lesson.

I followed Mike’s link over to AVSforum and my email inbox has been getting Spammed ever since. Surprised my Foxbat account was still working. Sadly, though, this simple link follow let the bots know that the email account I used to enroll in AVSforum was still active. I’ve learned since then to use a sacrificial account to register for forums, but back then, I hadn’t learned my lesson.
AVSForum doesn't spam me. I visit there at least twice a week. I suspect there may be some switch that you haven't turned off regarding "partner e-mails".

I could tell if I was being spammed as I use accounts on a server that I manage and nothing is shunted.

When was the last time you ran a malware scan using a trustworthy anti-malware application?

Reactions: primestar31
I visited using my iPad, so just the normal iPadOS protections on anti-tracking. I believe you have the more reasonable explanation about Partner emails since the last time I used their site was before the sale a few years back. The new owners probably added that to help monetize the site. Thanks for the suggestion, harshness, I’ll see what I can remove.

edit: I tweaked my settings so we will see how that goes. It looks like my last activity there was mid-2000s…

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31