New Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Player?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
New Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Player?

While checking out the Blu-ray players on Bestbuy.com, we noticed a new Samsung Blu-ray player listed. The new model is the Samsung BD-P2550, and is priced at $499.
It looks like Samsung decided to release the 2500 series model after all. The player seems to be the same as the BD-P1500, but with the Silicon Optix HQV Reon video scaling chip and 7.1 analog audio outputs.
We’re positive this is a not a Best Buy typo of the recently rumored BD-P2500.
We will post more info as it comes in.

Hmmm. HQV. Mighta found my Christmas present because I wouldnt mind having the chip.

Hmmm. HQV. Mighta found my Christmas present because I wouldnt mind having the chip.

But it's a Samsung;) They still haven't proven to me that they can make a player worth the while. How can you not put a fan in a player. 10-1 says that's what cuased satinzko's problems. Others are experiencing it, too.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but nowhere on the BB site does it say it has the Reon chipset for scaling.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8901227&type=product&id=1217634016243

S~

But it's a Samsung;) They still haven't proven to me that they can make a player worth the while. How can you not put a fan in a player. 10-1 says that's what cuased satinzko's problems. Others are experiencing it, too.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but nowhere on the BB site does it say it has the Reon chipset for scaling.

S~

Oh, dont worry Im not buying till its been out a bit and tested :).

Why in the world can you buy it and not see it on their Corp. website.

Teachsac, I was just going to comment on it being the same design I gotta believe there's a chance that it would do what my 1500 did.

Well, basically, it was fine until I watched Dewey Cox, had horrible True-HD dropouts and just long periods of no sound. Had to pause/play to get sound back. Then it started going crazy with SD discs in general. Then after the firmware update, no true-hd discs would work at all, well no sound anyways.

Unit was always incredibly hot, not warm, but hot to the point it was uncomforable to put my finger/hand on for any length of time.

I tried to contact Samsung on a warranty repair but they wanted to charge me a deposit and I pay shipping both ways so I just took it back to the retailier. We had the unit about 60 days and we played the heck out of it. It was on on the top shelf of an open-air stand, plenty of airflow etc.

I ended up with the Sony S350 for now, it's pretty nice, loads nice and doesn't have the loud drive in it the 1500 did. My 1500 sounded like a rock tumbler when it was loading discs or doing seeks.

Samsung makes great displays, but as Joe and others have said their optical disc players always leave something (usually a lot) to be desired.

Samsung makes great displays, but as Joe and others have said their optical disc players always leave something (usually a lot) to be desired.

I agree 100%. I was really impressed with their 32" 720p LCD I got for my bedroom recently, but their upconverting DVD I got as part of half-price promo at Best Buy at the same time is underwhelming at best. I think my PS3 upconverts better. :(

I have received good customer service from Samsung. I purchased the 4081LNT LED LCD for my wife as a birthday present this year. It is in the bedroom and is still one of the best HDTV's that I have ever laid eyes on. I could not get my PS3 to produce all the sound channels thru the LCD when trying to play a BD movie for my wife. I do not have a HT setup in the bedroom.

Well I finally called Samsung on Saturday! I got ahold of a tech who knew exactly what I was going thru but did not know how to solve the problem. He put me on hold for about 10 minutes then came back and told me that there was a special bulliten out for the PS3 and that he did not have it and asked if I would hold for a little longer so that he could find it. After another 15 minutes he came on and told me how to get it to work. I would never have been able to figure this out because it is not in the manuel anywhere. You have to disconnect the PS3, tune to an OTA station, go into the menu (it the allows you access to menu items you normally cannot access) turn on a few things then hook the PS3 back up and allow the PS3 to set the audio automatically. The 5.1 now played thru my Samsung perfectly and sounded great!

I thought that this was great service as he could of just said that he did not know how to help (which would of been true at the beginning) and could of just taken my name and passed me on to someone else or had them call me back. I think this kind of service is top notch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)