New Satellite TV and Radio Stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Im In

Hey Gordy,
I’m in, I waste 22 bucks a month on HBO. I can drop them and it can go for the project as you outlined. I will be willing to help if I can, I did 40 years in the telecommunications (Phone company tech and manager).

My first suggestion is to start a punch list of items that would be needed to see if the project would fly and then see if any of the sat-guys can help out with a particular item.
Mike Lib

Gordy, I agree with your idea in concept. And I would really like to see it succeed. I work for the I.T. department at a university campus, and have been here for the last 12 years. So I have established relationships with many of the department chairs and college deans, including the college of Arts & Communications. I would be willing to float the idea past them to see if there is any interest. I know one thing that would probably interest them is national broadcast of their sports programs. We have had a number of NCAA division III championships the last several years. We are a fairly large campus and there are alumni all over the country who like to follow the programs.
Just a few of my initial thoughts on the subject.

Excellent! Everyone so far has been most positive and this is very good - meaning that I would believe the support would be out there across the public masses as well.

I was doing some browsing via Google today just to gather some information. I wasn't very successful. I thought that there would be at least some information out there to help guide the foundation of such an endeavor. Maybe I am using the wrong key words, I don't know. But, there just didn't seem to be a lot of information readily available on Google.

I did find some ancient information regarding TP lease prices. This was from 1990, so quite outdated. It listed an annual lease for an entire transponder via the Intelsat fleet at $2.8M.

That would probably be unreasonable. We wouldn't require an entire TP all to ourselves. However, maybe there could be some benefit to sharing an entire TP with several other entities. Possibly like DougBrown mentioned - a college or University with a sports program that would benefit from it and possibly their science, journalism and broadcasting programs as well.

Lot's of things to consider, so this is going to be a lengthy project if it ever really does launch at all. I sure would like to see it happen, though. Man, this would be great! Really great!

I like the GratiStar name, that has a good ring to it.

Gordy

Gordy, I agree with your idea in concept. And I would really like to see it succeed. I work for the I.T. department at a university campus, and have been here for the last 12 years. So I have established relationships with many of the department chairs and college deans, including the college of Arts & Communications. I would be willing to float the idea past them to see if there is any interest. I know one thing that would probably interest them is national broadcast of their sports programs. We have had a number of NCAA division III championships the last several years. We are a fairly large campus and there are alumni all over the country who like to follow the programs.
Just a few of my initial thoughts on the subject.

Doug,

If you have a few moments to query some of the people you know in the broadcasting department, please inquire of them as to any information and guidance sources that we can access for research on how to do this from the technical side as well as the legal side and monetary side.

I expect that there must be some government or FCC guides and literature that will assist in this matter. Finding them through Google is probably not going to prove to be successful as I doubt there are that many people using Google to research this avenue, hence very few hits or topics will be displayed.

If you or anyone here who also has contacts regarding this, please don't hesitate to pick their brains for any ideas that will help.

Victor Ives from WSTV might be willing to assist in this project. If not as a consultant and advisor, but maybe just to provide some initial guidance.

Gordy

Now let's see... We have to dream about this a bit, too.

Hmmm? What TV channels would we offer and what content on each?

How about:

"The Detective Network"

Dragnet
FBI
Diagnosis MURDER
Hawaii 5-0
Quincy M. E.
The Rockford Files
Columbo
Hart to Hart
Simon and Simon
Baretta
Perry Mason
Hunter
Magnum P.I.
Mannix
Ironsides
Mission Impossible
The Avengers
Charlies Angels
CHIPs
The Untouchables
McCloud
McMillan and Wife
Ellery Queen
Adam 12
Moonlighting
Hawk
The Saint
The Adventures of Fu Manchu
Sherlock Holmes
Banacek
Police Story
Remington Steele
Barnaby Jones
Cannon
The Mod Squad
Cagney and Lacey
Crime Story
The Fugitive
Hardcastle and McCormick
Have Gun Will Travel
Kojak
Kolchack: The Night Stalker
The Magician
Matlock
nightly or at least weekly specialty movies related to the channel content

"Nostalgia Comedy Network"

Father Knows Best
My Three Son's
I Love Lucy
The Honeymooners
Leave it to Beaver
The Addams Family
The Andy Griffith Show
The Beverly Hillbillies
B. J. and the Bear
Bewitched
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Hogan's Heroes
I Dream of Jeanie
The Munsters
All In the Family
Bob Newhart
Brady Bunch
Happy Days
The Jeffersons
Mary Tyler Moore
TAXI
WKRP in Cincinnatti
The Odd Couple
Sanford and Son
Three's Company
Welcome Back Kotter
MASH
Mr. Ed
Petticoat Junction
Carole Burnette Show
The Real McCoys
Dennis the Menace
Get Smart
Gilligan's Island
McHales Navy
The Monkees
Three Stooges
Ma and Pa Kettle
Sgt. Bilko
F-Troop
Laurel and Hardy
Hee Haw
Laugh-In
occasional special shows, or clasic comedy movies and Dean Martin Roasts

"WILD WEST"

The Rifleman
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Maverick
Rawhide
Wagon Train
Daniel Boone
Lone Ranger
The Cisco Kid
Hoppalong Cassidy
Cheyenne
The High Chaparral
Kung Fu
Alias Smith and Jones
The Wild Wild West
The Big Valley
The Virginian
Texas Rangers
Have Gun Will Travel
F-Troop
Branded
Little House on the Prairie
Sky King
Wagon Train
Laramie
Wanted Dead or Alive
Shanendoa
Bat Masterson
Nightly or at least weekely movies of western content and genre

"SCIENCE FICTION THEATER"

Star Trek (the original of course)
The Twilight Zone
Night Gallery
Lost in Space
X-Files
Sliders
Land of the Lost
The Lost World
The Outer Limits
ALF
Star Hustler with Dr. Jack Horkheimer (filler)
The Jetsons
Alfred Hitchcock
Andromeda
Night Rider
Dr. Who
Sanctuary
The Prisoner
Quantum Leap
Kolchack the Night Stalker
Buck Rogers
Superman
The Avengers
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
My Favorite Martian
The Incredible Hulk
Logan's Run
Star Trek spinoffs
Nightly or weekly sci-fi movies.

"Kid's Saturday Morning Corner"

Bugs Bunny and Road Runner
Yogi Bear
Flinstones
Woody Woodpecker
Popeye
Mighty Mouse
Tom an Jerry
Pixie, Dixie and Jinks
Huckleberry Hound
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Mr. McGoo
Speed Buggy
Scooby Doo
Fat Albert
Snagle Puss
Quick-Draw McGraw
SchoolHouse Rock
Etc.

Then a continuous movie channel and an educational DIY channel, too. The movie channel would air commercial free movies, uncut and unedited.
Movies would be mostly classics, not too old, but very good quality. New stuff might prove to be too expensive for the budget, but wahtever can be managed will be aired.

How about this for starting show lineups?

Gordy

Last edited:
DN will consider this and all FTA as a threat to revenue. Do you really want to draw attention to FTA?

Good point.

Well, the only thing that an entity such as DN could possibly do in response to such a "threat" would be to lower their prices, add al-a-cart programming and widdle the info-mercials off of their premium channels. Oh, and get rid of the crappy reality shows! LOL

So.... I guess it could be a win-win situation regardless. As, they cannot squelch FTA in any other way.

:D

Also, note that the majority of the shows that I listed as suggested content are what DN is wanting to steer away from since their programmers want to sell the new stuff. Their notion that most people like their programming is going to hurt them in the long run. At least I perceive this to be mostly true.

Awesome list of shows and expensive!

The largest cost of operation will be the purchase of programming. Strip programming (typically daily shows with multiple weeks of programming) is usually sold in syndication packages. Packages call be purchased for cash, barter or a combination. Barter involves the inclusion of advertising by the syndication company and can result in reduced or no cost programming.

It will be difficult to determine and negotiate licensing fees for FTA as there are limited methods to measure your audience. Much of the negotiating for the cost of a program involves potential number of viewers. Without a measurement of the audience by an accepted method such as Nielson, the purchase of the programming becomes complicated. If no barter is involved, the cash purchase could include the potential number of viewers, but is less important.

Free or inexpensive web based distribution of classic programming ala carte is becoming a challenge to the television's linear delivery format. You will want to consider the impact of services such as Hulu on this business proposal.

To financially support a free FTA service or as a twist on the linear delivery proposal might be to build an advertising or small fee based, one way satellite delivery of on demand media files in conjunction with a Hulu type provider. Orders could be placed by standard RJ-45 landline connection, internet or touch tone telephone. Download of your programming to a STB or computer solution would occur over a time frame dependent on your acceptance of advertising, membership or donation. This could overcome the usage caps on satellite Internet providers and allow access to media by folks who are outside broadband / DSL service areas.

All of this is a great idea, but the legal and financial issues might nip it in the bud before it becomes a reality. Rather than having to deal directly with many syndicators for their product, you might consider partnerships with some existing startup networks that have classic TV, and are now looking for national distribution via digital subchannels or any other way that makes financial sense.
RFD-TV is back on C-band, but perhaps it would make sense to re-uplink it on Ku. Also consider Retro TV Network and the Weigel Broadcasting's THIS TV, ME TV and ME TOO. The Me TV franchise is just taking off in Chicago, and a national organization to provide it for free / and make money from ad support might make sense.

Networks: a huge hurdle, but perhaps you could make agreement with a group of local affiliates in one market to go on satellite in the clear. If Equity Broadcasting could feed all of their stations without encryption, there might be a precedent. What exactly does the existing framework that protects local stations from competition from outside subscription delivery of other markets say about the delivery of same without charge. You cannot track heads and numbers if there is no subscription, but whether it could be allowed for all major networks in a single market is a good question. There's probably a clause in a contract with major networks preventing this, or at least asking for compensation to the network. I believe this will be the messiest issue to deal with, other than $$$.

I would suggest Ku-band rather than DBS, simply for the reduced costs per transponder. While it would be nice to use 18 inch dishes, the reality of greatly reduced costs per month for satellite time would justify asking users to spend a few more dollars for a 30 or 36 inch dish. You might also talk to Globecast, who already puts up many channels (some free, some subscription) for networks from around the world. They have larger resources for space segment than most of the competition, and might be easier to deal with than a direct connection with a satellite owner.
Don't forget about their uplink abilities from multiple locations around the country.

Well, the only thing that an entity such as DN could possibly do in response to such a "threat" would be to lower their prices, add al-a-cart programming and widdle the info-mercials off of their premium channels. Oh, and get rid of the crappy reality shows! LOL

So.... I guess it could be a win-win situation regardless. As, they cannot squelch FTA in any other way.

Well... all we need is for them (DN) to continue to sue receiver manufacturers into non-existence (alleging conspiracy to facilitate signal theft or some such thing...). But perhaps a package using a DVB PC card would be cool add-on for the HTPC owners too.

Anyway, I have (1) 24/7 ethnic music webcaster in mind that presently uses Shoutcast and operates on a very tight financial basis and other cash-strapped programmers surely exist that would like to broaden their listener base, but I'd think we could (with the appropriate IT support) also assemble a multitude of audio channels using nothing but PODCASTS that could be farmed from the 'net on a weekly basis on common topics (food/cooking, political commentary, education, State/municipal news, financial, technology, etc).

BTW ~ I know of a SERIOUS uplink capable dish that a University is likely looking to unload and could be had for the price of removal - but I think that price may even be excessive unless a team could be assembled with appropriate "rigger" experience. I'll have to snap a few pics the next time I get in it's location.

I would fully support such a venture. With the vast knowledge base existing on this site alone
seems it would be an almost off-the-shelf startup and a promising future. Kind of like what
open source Linux or similar efforts have accomplished. Great idea!!!

Here are some pix of the microwave repeater tower and equiment building that my nephew's HAM radio club is leasing.

Not sure if this would be anything that could be used for a satellite uplink station, but it would be inexpensive. The building is heated/cooled and has its own generator (in one of the pix). Would need to buy the uplink equipment. I think there is sufficient area around the building for the external equipment.

I would say an excellent location in regards to open terrain and clear LOS.

Gordy

Attachments

• 0802143903.jpg
    0802143903.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 0802144024.jpg
    0802144024.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 0802144538.jpg
    0802144538.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 0802144901.jpg
    0802144901.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 0802145737.jpg
    0802145737.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 0802145754.jpg
    0802145754.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 0802145957.jpg
    0802145957.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 0802150033.jpg
    0802150033.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 131
  • 0802150100.jpg
    0802150100.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 0802150422.jpg
    0802150422.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 0802155206.jpg
    0802155206.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 129
  • 0802155700.jpg
    0802155700.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 139
I agree with Brian and Mike (Posts 29 & 30) the costs of what is proposed will swallow the concept before it could even get started. I think the idea is great - just to late. When you can get Hulu and You Tube for free - a subscription fee is very problematical. If advertisers can't know how many viewers are seeing their ads, then it is very difficult to convince them of the value to be had.

You must have ongoing revenue to survive - "Sky Angel" is a prime example, they sold "lifetime" memberships for startup capital and expenses, the monthly $10 (or more) paid by the remaining subscribers couldn't support the enterprise. In addition, Sky Angel didn't pay for content as it was provided by the various broadcasters for free.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I think this idea must figure out a business model that will insure ongoing revenue. As mentioned before, IP companies such as Hulu are a definite threat to this proposal.
IMHO
Bob

I agree with Brian and Mike (Posts 29 & 30) the costs of what is proposed will swallow the concept before it could even get started. I think the idea is great - just to late. When you can get Hulu and You Tube for free - a subscription fee is very problematical. If advertisers can't know how many viewers are seeing their ads, then it is very difficult to convince them of the value to be had.

You must have ongoing revenue to survive - "Sky Angel" is a prime example, they sold "lifetime" memberships for startup capital and expenses, the monthly $10 (or more) paid by the remaining subscribers couldn't support the enterprise. In addition, Sky Angel didn't pay for content as it was provided by the various broadcasters for free.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I think this idea must figure out a business model that will insure ongoing revenue. As mentioned before, IP companies such as Hulu are a definite threat to this proposal.
IMHO
Bob

Well,

It is fun to dream a little and do a little research to find out new things.

Gordy

If they perceive a threat, they'd try lawsuits, strong-arming the content providers, and legislation.
How many congressmen can YOU afford? - :rolleyes:

For all of those channels, I believe the operative word is dream
Yea, that content list was a bit aggressive.
How 'bout an hour or block of detective/comedy/etc shows every day?
Look at the programming for ThisTV. It's a pretty good model.

And what about repeating the one 8-hour programming block all day long?
My local Japanese station shared time on channel 18 with other language programming.
Now, they've got their own sub-channel (18.2?) and not enough content.
So, if you miss a good show, you can tune in later to catch it.
Actually, a very good idea!
Especially if you don't have a PVR, or if you are up nights.

If they perceive a threat, they'd try lawsuits, strong-arming the content providers, and legislation.
How many congressmen can YOU afford? - :rolleyes:

Yea, that content list was a bit aggressive.
How 'bout an hour or block of detective/comedy/etc shows every day?
Look at the programming for ThisTV. It's a pretty good model.

And what about repeating the one 8-hour programming block all day long?
My local Japanese station shared time on channel 18 with other language programming.
Now, they've got their own sub-channel (18.2?) and not enough content.
So, if you miss a good show, you can tune in later to catch it.
Actually, a very good idea!
Especially if you don't have a PVR, or if you are up nights.

Anole,

I agree, the content I listed was quite dreamy and having multiple channels is probably not feasible - budgetwise. But, I was feeling really giddy about discussing all the great old programs with the guys at work and as we rattled them off, I was writing them down. It might be a list just to work from.

What do you think of the microwave tower in the pix? It is only approximately 6 miles from my house. If you would like to see it from an arial perspective, you can view it through Google Earth at 41d 37'30.18" N / 96d 25'07.52 W. It shows up pretty good, but with a shadow from the tower to the north.

With the tower being 199 feet in height, and that close to my house, I could transmit low power signals to it (possibly) and control some of the operations direct from home.

I could also link to local stations (esp. University stations) and rebroadcast their stuff, provided it adheres to the FCC rules and other legalities.

The generator is for backup power and is in working order, as far as I was informed. Therefore, the station uplink could be maintained in the event of a power outage. However, I imagine that the power supply to this site was quite protected since it was originally a major link in the east to west coast telephone connections during the 70's and early 80's.

One thing that might also be neat and interesting to do, if anything ever flies here, is a camera could be set up to provide a few minutes of viewing of the local weather at the uplink station. That video could be uplinked between movies or programs occasionally so that the end user could actually see what the current weather conditions were at the site. During night or foggy conditions, the video could be turned off or switched to some other content with a scrolling info bar of the local weather conditions at the uplink station. Just kind of a cool idea.

Of course, if the weather is so bad that the uplink signal is killed, no one will see it anyways, but when it is only weakened, you would be able to see why first hand.

Oh, and one special note. I would think that this signal would have to be maintained as a Ku band DVB-S/QPSK signal only (as opposed to DVB-S2/8PSK) so that everyone involved in FTA could capture it with just about any existing digital equipment they already own.

I sure wish I could win a big pot in the PowerBall! I would definitely be jumping on this really hard, if I did. That would at least allow me to purchase the equipment myself, directly and personally. I do have a good start with this, I won $4 Wednesday! :D

Gordy

Donate

First ever post. I'll donate 500.00 dollars when you get started. My health isn't to good, so you best get started. Dreams can be reached if you are willing to work at it and have a little luck. Money Helps!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)