New satellites for Directv HDTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kenweb

Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I am trying to upgrade to HDTV with Directv and have an issue with trees not allowing signal from all 3 satellites. I heard a rumor that new satellites will be launched over the US and therefore be higher in the sky than the current ones. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, any idea of a timeframe? This would allow me to aim above the trees. I can pick up all 3 now but only by placing the dish almost in the road in front of my house.
Any information about this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

There are no broadcast satellites "over the US", they are all over the equator. Search for "spaceway". And they are going in the pretty much the same spots as the current ones.

SpySatellite said:
5 LNBs?? How big will this dish be? Yikes!

1 Meter I've read somewhere. it like a 24x36 but a smaller one is due out later. The reason behind the smaller on later is that with the new MPG-4 stuff you will not need to see 110 and 119 any more.

Just what I herd!

chewwy420 said:
1 Meter I've read somewhere. it like a 24x36 but a smaller one is due out later. The reason behind the smaller on later is that with the new MPG-4 stuff you will not need to see 110 and 119 any more.

Just what I herd!

You will if your locals come from 119.

Chip

Maybe they're going to sell the 110* one to the Dept. of Defense for target practice. Sat C (whichever that one is) is the one I can't get anyway due to line of sight issues. Hopefully my siuation will improve once this all gets implemented.

raoul5788 said:
You will if your locals come from 119.

Chip
It might be another year or two, but once the new HD locals become available, I don't think 119 will be needed. :confused:

mcbeevee said:
It might be another year or two, but once the new HD locals become available, I don't think 119 will be needed. :confused:

That's correct. Once they move all the HD channels to MPEG-4 and get everyone swapped out they will have room on the other sats. and will be able to move everything off 119 and eventually off 110 as well.

Note. This is just what I have herd else where!

chewwy420 said:
That's correct. Once they move all the HD channels to MPEG-4 and get everyone swapped out they will have room on the other sats. and will be able to move everything off 119 and eventually off 110 as well.

Note. This is just what I have herd else where!

Those specific satellites may not be needed, but D* will still own the orbital slots. I wouldn't be surprised if future D* satellites are eventually placed in those slots.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)