New SD and WealthTV VVV Only Channels:

I'd like to see them in the basic package, at least to begin with. If all subscribers were able to see the channels now, and Voom announced that they would move to VVV or to a plus pak of some sort, then everybody will have had the chance to watch them and evaluate whether or not they would pay extra to continue seeing them.

Perhaps they should allow a free preview period. I think that Wealth HD is aimed at people who are in the VaVaVoom price point, though.

Mr.Poindexter said:
Perhaps they should allow a free preview period. I think that Wealth HD is aimed at people who are in the VaVaVoom price point, though.
I watched it a little bit this morning. They had a show on about a corporate jet that was for sale. Top of the line everything in that baby. Asking price was 29 million. I'm not sure who Wealth HD is actually aimed at, but a 29 million dollar jet aircraft is way out of my reach. However, I would find it difficult to watch the "Na na, na nana HD channel" if they aimed at the VVV subs.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of a tier that doesn't have all SD and HD. Every other provider (Cable and Satellite) has that. Don't expect that you will get all in a 'basic' package. But in addition, they should bring in an extra tier that has all SD and HD, except for the 'real' premium ones, like Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime. I think Voom didn't have enough content to do this, only the 5 discoveries, but now with those additions a second tier start to make sense. I would love to get all in the standard Voom tier, but realistic, that's wishing. Voom has to pay the content providers. And for 39.90/49.90, depending on when you joined, I think Voom is a fair value compared with their competitors. Just my 0.02

Middle Tier Package Looking more Feasible...

I think it’s becoming more apparent that Voom IS gearing up to create another tier with all of the channels that were recently added to the VaVaVoom package. Looking at the ten new channels, they do seem to fit well together and with a few more, voom could have a package worth subscribing to. IMO

288 - Fox Movie Channel
527 - Fine Living
531 - Wealth TV HD
614 - History International
617 - Do it Yourself
619 - Military Channel
620 - Discovery Times
621 - Discovery Home
622 - Science Channel
623 - Discovery Kids

MarcelV said:
I would love to get all in the standard Voom tier, but realistic, that's wishing. Voom has to pay the content providers. And for 39.90/49.90, depending on when you joined, I think Voom is a fair value compared with their competitors. Just my 0.02

I think so too, now they are adding even more channels, another tier package is in order, VVV price hasn't changed so I'm assuming the added VVV people profits is "covering" the cost of the new channels. I'm sure the new Discovery/DIY etc licenses are not anywhere near as expensive as HBO/Showtime, these channels still have commercials, but it does cost something.

Wouldn't $5-9 extra for a "Marquee Plus" pack that included new channels seem more logical than having to go to VVV for them?

Oh good lord. First, I pay $79.99 for Va Va Voom. Yes, I'm grandfathered, but it's still far less than the $120 figure you seem to want to toss around. Second, it's pretty obvious at soem point (assuming they survive) there WILL be a mid teir package. Right now it would be a serious PITA for them to set up (especially since it might be a severely wasted effort) so why not put them in VVV? I'm sorry that you people didn't get DIY, or Wealth, or whatever annoys you. Constantly expecting free channels is likely to run this company into the ground though. Oh wait... it is the 22nd ins't it...

madpoet said:
Oh good lord. First, I pay $79.99 for Va Va Voom. Yes, I'm grandfathered, but it's still far less than the $120 figure you seem to want to toss around.
Hopefully they won't mess with the grandfathered rates, but I expect they will. I wouldn't be surprised if those grandfathered in at $39.90 basic see that go up if they decide to add a mid-tier in the future. But as long as it doesn't affect you... :D
madpoet said:
Second, it's pretty obvious at soem point (assuming they survive) there WILL be a mid teir package. Right now it would be a serious PITA for them to set up (especially since it might be a severely wasted effort) so why not put them in VVV?
Because it severely limits how many people can see these new channels. If offered as a temporary free preview until the mid-tier is set up it may lure some of the basic subs to upgrade once they get to spend some time with WealthHD, etc. Putting them in VaVa does little if anything to draw in new subs and next to nothing in terms of getting basic subs to upgrade.
madpoet said:
I'm sorry that you people didn't get DIY, or Wealth, or whatever annoys you. Constantly expecting free channels is likely to run this company into the ground though. Oh wait... it is the 22nd ins't it...
Actually the only channel that interests me much is WealthHD (and that's only because it's HD). And I think very few people are "constantly expecting free channels". Look at the poll results. Read a few posts. Most people seem to think that a mid-tier pack is in order. I'm sure most of us are indeed hoping for free channels (why not?), but at this point I doubt if many are "expecting" them -- and certainly not "constantly". And how can expectations run a company into the ground? I'm sorry that it bothers you that not everyone agrees with you that there's no problem with these non-premium channels being available only on VaVaVoom.

To me it would be dangerous to simply put all on Basic as a preview without proper warning.

Could you imagine the uproar here if suddenly 10-15 channels were removed for another tier?? The mods would have to award 100 vacations an hour :D

Interesting perspective dlm10541. The forum has 19,000 members according to latest figures. At last count, it was rumored that Voom had over 40K subscribers, so a major portion of existing subs appear to NOT frequent this forum. Voom is using the front page of the program guide to make announcements about added channels, and website updates come a little later.

If Voom announced in the guide that Blah-Blah HD would be available for a short time beginning Month,Date--and then the channel went away, it might cause subs to call to inquire about "Hey I used to have this, but now I don't". Seems like a good opportunity for CSR's to sell a package upgrade.

It could also turn out quite differently, and as you say, turn Satelliteguys.us into vacationland.

Timm, I fully expect my rates to go up sooner or later (they were supposed to in January, so I'm living on borrowed time!)

madpoet said:
Oh good lord. First, I pay $79.99 for Va Va Voom. Yes, I'm grandfathered, but it's still far less than the $120 figure you seem to want to toss around. Second, it's pretty obvious at soem point (assuming they survive) there WILL be a mid teir package. Right now it would be a serious PITA for them to set up (especially since it might be a severely wasted effort) so why not put them in VVV? I'm sorry that you people didn't get DIY, or Wealth, or whatever annoys you. Constantly expecting free channels is likely to run this company into the ground though. Oh wait... it is the 22nd ins't it...
I'm with you.

Ask and you shall receive…

TheTimm said:
Because it severely limits how many people can see these new channels. If offered as a temporary free preview until the mid-tier is set up it may lure some of the basic subs to upgrade once they get to spend some time with WealthHD, etc. Putting them in VaVa does little if anything to draw in new subs and next to nothing in terms of getting basic subs to upgrade.

Hey TheTimm, I just read in another post, as well as seen a few people mention this before; it seems that Voom “is” giving us the “free preview” and not just of the new channels, but of the entire VaVaVoom lineup for a whole two months. All you have to do is call and request the free preview and then cancel before the two months are up, with no further commitments required. :D

Voom4Me said:
Hey TheTimm, I just read in another post, as well as seen a few people mention this before; it seems that Voom “is” giving us the “free preview” and not just of the new channels, but of the entire VaVaVoom lineup for a whole two months. All you have to do is call and request the free preview and then cancel before the two months are up, with no further commitments required. :D
"All you have to do is call and request...and then cancel..." . Therein lies the rub. I, like others, am grandfathered in to the old pricing. If I call and request an upgrade -- even a temporary free one -- I have a sneaky suspicion they would consider it the change in programming that would trigger my rate increase. I suspect this is why they require you to call in and request it and then cancel it. If they were truly interested in everyone being able to evaluate these channels, they would simply flip the VaVa switch for everyone for a couple months with no phone calls necessary -- or just put the new channels on basic for an introductory period. So while I agree that it's nice of them to do that for those on the new pricing, it likely would cost us grandfathers $10/month for the "free" preview if it's set up that way.

The plot thickens…

TheTimm said:
Therein lies the rub. I, like others, am grandfathered in to the old pricing. If I call and request an upgrade -- even a temporary free one -- I have a sneaky suspicion they would consider it the change in programming that would trigger my rate increase.

TheTimm,

Your suspicions were correct. I just called to get the details of the "free preview" and the CSR informed me that the trail period does require you to upgrade, then if you cancel the VaVa package you will be at the new $49.90 price level for basic Voom. Pretty Sneaky... :(

However, he did mention that we would NOT be locked into the six-month commitment like new installs currently are, but that during the free preview period you will loose the ability to request a credit for any outages in service regardless of reason. (A bit unfair. :no)

I'm not sure if I'm considered a grandfather? (I pay $39.90 for service and then $9.50 for the STB) So I would actually end up paying $5 more if I took this offer and then dropped the VaVa package.

My new dilemma now becomes; if I pass up this opportunity to get the free preview for two months, will Voom force me into that new pricing structure some other way? Perhaps when adding the DVR or upgrading to a new package, if they become available? I would ultimately end up paying the new higher price, but not get my two months free... :mad:

Decisions, decisions… :confused:

As a new VOOMER, I am somewhat disappointed at where all the new channels are going--to VaVa VOOM. However, I also have C-band and, as a matter of fact, the Wealth TV is FREE to us having C-band digital, so I can subscribe to most of those new channels being added to the $89.90 ($95 with box rental) on my C-band, including Wealth TV for around $10/month.

I hope they might reconsider their pricing tiers for some of the channels that Voomers (vs VaVaVoomers) won't see in their basic package.

I love VOOM of course and love all the program content and great (grate) ful for the choice it gives us in programming -- HD primarily.

Voom4Me said:
TheTimm,

Your suspicions were correct. I just called to get the details of the "free preview" and the CSR informed me that the trail period does require you to upgrade, then if you cancel the VaVa package you will be at the new $49.90 price level for basic Voom. Pretty Sneaky... :(

I'm not sure if I'm considered a grandfather? (I pay $39.90 for service and then $9.50 for the STB) So I would actually end up paying $5 more if I took this offer and then dropped the VaVa package.

My new dilemma now becomes; if I pass up this opportunity to get the free preview for two months, will Voom force me into that new pricing structure some other way? Perhaps when adding the DVR or upgrading to a new package, if they become available? I would ultimately end up paying the new higher price, but not get my two months free... :mad:
Sooner or later we'll all have to wave a goodbye to the old pricing. I'm holding out as long as they'll let me! :D
BTW, I think your math is off a bit -- I think it'll go up $10/month : $49.90 for service + $9.50 for the box = ten bucks more.