New Series only record first episode/Transcoding issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This happened to me with Humans this week on AMC-254. Monday's episode (episode 2) didn't record. The guide for next Monday didn't show it as scheduled to be recorded. I deleted the series and reset it to record. Now it shows up next Monday as a scheduled recording. We'll see.

This happened to me with Humans this week on AMC-254. Monday's episode (episode 2) didn't record. The guide for next Monday didn't show it as scheduled to be recorded. I deleted the series and reset it to record. Now it shows up next Monday as a scheduled recording. We'll see.

Yeah, if I delete the Series and then re-create it, like with Planet Earth II, it will record the first one, but then fail to record the rest.

Yeah, if I delete the Series and then re-create it, like with Planet Earth II, it will record the first one, but then fail to record the rest.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen with Humans. I'm just glad it doesn't happen with anything else I'm recording. I hope you find a solution.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen with Humans. I'm just glad it doesn't happen with anything else I'm recording. I hope you find a solution.

Looks like it suffers from the same air date issue as the programs I am struggling with. It airs in the UK first, so that is what goes into the guide data. I suspect you will continue to have the same issue with that. Please share your results.

It was APB on FOX Monday night. I was able to find it On Demand so my "Family Advisor" could watch it. This is the first time it's ever happened and I came across this subject.

Seems like it should still record episodes flagged as "new" even if the original air date is in the past.

This is the same problem I posted. series 2 has already completed in the UK so the original air dates are way past. The episodes therefore are not "first run" as far as the DVR is concerned. This is embedded in the metadata which AMC is not changing, there is no such thing as "new".
Set to record all episodes including repeats and you will get them all.

If you have this set as first run then they won't show up. This is because of a known and very annoying guide data error. Where programs have previously been shown in a different country (usually the UK or Canada) the channel often provides guide data with the "first run date" being the one when the program was first shown in the UK (say) instead of the US first run date. The DVR sees a first run date of (lets say) a couple of weeks ago, says therefore the program is NOT first run and does not record it. The only way to get over this is to record these programs with "all episodes" set instead of first run. There is nothing wrong with your DVR, it's behaving exactlly as designed. You'll see the same issue posted with other providers.

Doesn't happen with TWC. I first noticed it a few years ago when Reelz aired XIII. I believe that was originally a Canadian series that aired a few years earlier on Showcase. On DirecTV, I had to change the recording to All instead of New for it to record. Samething with Broadchurch on BBC America, which originally aired on ITV in the UK before it came to the US. I didn’t record Humans on DirecTV last year, but Season 2 has not been recording for me this season on DirecTV, but it does on my TWC DVR with it set to record New Episodes only. The original air date on the TWC guide is the date it originally aired in the UK. For example this weeks episode shows 11/13/16.

No, TWC seems to use a different set of parameters, and different guide data. DirecTV (and TiVo, and Dish) get their guide data from Gracenote (used to be Tribune data services). Looks like TWC does not use the same original air date from the metadata.

No, TWC seems to use a different set of parameters, and different guide data. DirecTV (and TiVo, and Dish) get their guide data from Gracenote (used to be Tribune data services). Looks like TWC does not use the same original air date from the metadata.

Just an FYI: Tivo switched to Rovi for guide data after being bought by Rovi. Dish is also apparently switching to Rovi. I am not saying that either of those things are good, just stating the facts.

It would be interesting to see whether TiVo has the same issue having switched guide data suppliers.

just FYI, I went over to the TiVo forum and there are so many complaints about problems caused by the new guide data from Rovi it's difficult to tell one problem from another.

Someone posted they should have a way to compare gracenote with Rovi and then te;ll each of them everything that is wrong with the data!!

I did not realise things were so bad with TiVo/Rovi. People are posting they will never again buy another TiVo product..!!

Yeah, I switched to DirecTV for a reason. Rovi buying Tivo was part of it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)