New Set-up with multiple DVRs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JennJenn

Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Ohio
We are current D*TV subscribers with a Genie and two mini genies. We are moving into a new house with an in-law suite for the parents. They will have two additional tvs. I think sharing one DVR will lead to WWIII, so additional mini genies are out. Can we get separate DVRs without needing an additional dish and/or account? What are my options?

Also, any tips on getting installation and new equipment for the house without paying an arm and a leg?

You do not need an additional dish, or account. However if you will all be sharing one internet service, you will need to block their "whole home" otherwise they will see your playlist and be able to delete your recordings (and vice versa).
Least expensive solution? It depends. If it's available to you, use the DirecTV Movers Connection. They will install the new dish, you just take your receivers with you, and they will install your receivers free of charge if you qualify. They will probably offer you another genie mini- client, but you don't want that. See if you can get an additional DVR from them at a reasonable price, and put that one in the in-law suite.

I actually have two dishes on my property, one account.

An hd dvr is going to be about 199. A second genie is out of the question unless they have a separate account. You will also need to turn off sharing on both dvrs in order to block the playlists. But even if they share recording to the combo will be limited to that device you won't steal tuners like the minis do. And both playlists would share

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, I should have said a second Genie won't be allowed. And you are correct, another DVR will normally be $199. Just worth a try to negotiate since he will be using Movers' Connection.

Reactions: harmlesslyfatal
just a thought, if they would like the whole home feature but dont care about the on demand feature, you can seperate their recievers by connecting them to a two-way splitter, and then put a band-stop filter between the two-way and whatever other splitter you have. this lets their two recievers share data, but wont let them talk to the genie or vice versa. however if they connected the recievers to the same router then they would again see the playlist from the genie. pretty sure that'll work anyway.

of couse... if your handy with the router you may be able to seperate your internet network as well :D

Reactions: harmlesslyfatal
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)