Alternating between basic and premium DIRECTV packages

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpoltermann

Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Richmond, VA
Does anyone have any experience alternating between different TV packages in a second home? I know you have the option to suspend service up to 6 months in one year, but I don't want to do that. I want my TV service to stay on all year long, but I want to be able to switch between basic and premium packages depending on whether or not I am present at the house. It is a vacation home, and I am only there about once a month.

Well, you either go online & change your package/premiums accordingly, or you call up & tell the CSR what you want to change...not much else to it...

What they said, but if you choose premium packaging (HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, Sports Pack) or Premier, then keep it on your account for a minimum of 30 days, otherwise you can be charged a $10 early cancellation fee.

Why not just get twice the number of receivers you need installed at one address then take the extras to your other address. Double paying is just stupid especially with f* AT&T owning it now.

Why not just get twice the number of receivers you need installed at one address then take the extras to your other address. Double paying is just stupid especially with f* AT&T owning it now.

this gets tedious, having to call to deactivate/reactivate receivers. not everyone wants to do that. can't speak for the TS, but I have talked to a lot of people that just go back and forth, not minding changing packages online since it's easier for them.

Gotta love it ..

Now Tha att owns it, it's suddenly crap.

I wish everyone would just relax and watch TV ....
att has owned it for less that 2 months and according to many here, it now sux ...
att has done nothing b to the company known as Directv as of yet, but it's suddenly bad.

You guys didn't think D* was all that great before att took over, but suddenly they were great.

Some of you guys are really interesting.

None of you have ANY knowledge of what's going on inside the company, even the employees only know what we hear in the company mail and videos.
That said.

Oh never mind, just get tired of the same BS slanted to whatever way suits you at the moment.

Fwiw, this is not d I rected at anyone in particular, you al, know who you are.

Reactions: AZ.
Responding to the original question, if you are watching DTV only at one place at a time and have the same setup at both your homes, you might consider just disconnecting a receiver at one location and hand carry between the two homes. It's another story to watch simultaneously at both locations although people probably do it. I believe it violates your service agreement.
I only have a single receiver and routinely hand carry it with us when we go to our cabin. My cabin is in the same footprint of the Phoenix local stations so I have the same service at both locations. If your second home is not in the reception footprint of your locals you'd miss out on them.

Responding to the original question, if you are watching DTV only at one place at a time and have the same setup at both your homes, you might consider just disconnecting a receiver at one location and hand carry between the two homes. It's another story to watch simultaneously at both locations although people probably do it. I believe it violates your service agreement.
I only have a single receiver and routinely hand carry it with us when we go to our cabin. My cabin is in the same footprint of the Phoenix local stations so I have the same service at both locations. If your second home is not in the reception footprint of your locals you'd miss out on them.
Even moving a receiver to a different location is a technical violation of the terms of service.

Gotta love it ..

Now Tha att owns it, it's suddenly crap.

I wish everyone would just relax and watch TV ....
att has owned it for less that 2 months and according to many here, it now sux ...
att has done nothing b to the company known as Directv as of yet, but it's suddenly bad.

You guys didn't think D* was all that great before att took over, but suddenly they were great.

this. I get this all the time, and nothing has changed from a business perspective. rates haven't increased, packaging hasn't changed, yet everything that goes bad is AT&T's fault.

So many times when someone has called in and needed a service call and are informed they have to pay for it if they don't have the Protection Plan, they get upset and complain that it's AT&T's fault. I honestly think people are just looking for someone to blame since they don't want to read their own agreement.

Even moving a receiver to a different location is a technical violation of the terms of service.
I'm sure you are correct. I haven't read the fine details of the TOS but really don't feel I'm "cheating" since we only have a single receiver and can use it only at one place at a time. In fact a couple years ago our receiver stopped working while at the cabin and DTV actually sent a technician up from the Phoenix area, approx. 150 miles, to replace it. On another occasion DTV sent a new receiver to our cabin address plus mailed the return equipment box to there also. When I called support I didn't hide the fact we were at another location than our service address.
The other comment on change of address.... we migrate back and forth every couple weeks... not sure how practical it would be to notify DTV each time we moved the receiver.
Any case just my personal experience and may not be an appropriate solution to the original question.
It doesn't appear there's been any further comments from the original posting so maybe he/she's question was resolved.

It's not a problem, I was just pointing out the specifics of the contract.

I'm sure you are correct. I haven't read the fine details of the TOS but really don't feel I'm "cheating" since we only have a single receiver and can use it only at one place at a time.
while I share your feelings, keep in mind that this is a by- product of satellite, if you had cable service you most likely be required two accounts and it should not be different with DirecTV but since DirecTV signals covers All of USA unlike cable, it is something you can get away with.

yep. it's a very tedious process for the customers in this case. this is a lot people that have vacation homes have multiple accounts.
And they are expected to PAY DOUBLE ?

Thats hardly an incentive to sign up and let them know your using a recvr at your second location.

Btw, there are MANY people that let D* know they have a second home and are putting a dish and recvr up there and D* says Great, no problems, no addl fees.

I have a friend of mine that did just that, D* told them all was well not to worry about it.

And they are expected to PAY DOUBLE ?

Thats hardly an incentive to sign up and let them know your using a recvr at your second location.

Btw, there are MANY people that let D* know they have a second home and are putting a dish and recvr up there and D* says Great, no problems, no addl fees.

I have a friend of mine that did just that, D* told them all was well not to worry about it.

Expected to? No, of course not. But if they want active receivers at multiple locations, it's required.

If they move back and forth to multiple DMAs, then it's tedious and not everyone wants to do that.

There's nothing against putting up a dish at a second home. We have a department that specializes in setting those installations up. What I'm saying is that people that don't want to call in every weekend that keep multiple accounts and gladly pay for both accounts.

Or if they have receivers at multiple locations that are active at the same time, it's a requirement to have multiple accounts, and yes, they are expected to pay double.

Status
Please reply by conversation.