New Slab Installation

Greg Whitehurst

Original poster
Dec 12, 2019
NC
Hello, I am in the process of planning a new home with a slab foundation. My question is. Has anyone heard of someone pre-installing a conduit from the attic down to and in the slab to the outside for the purpose of running the coax to the attic for distribution to the rooms.

It’s common practice to run pex through pvc pipe in a foundation. I don’t see why you couldn’t do it for coax and cat6. I’d make sure you pre-run all the cabling you’ll initially need and some some extra runs to future proof the install. Additional pulls in the future won’t be as easy due to the existing cabling and the 90° transition from the slab up to the attic.

I suppose you could do two runs of pvc, one with the cabling and a parallel run of empty pvc (or with pull strings already threaded) for future pulls.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hello, I am in the process of planning a new home with a slab foundation. My question is. Has anyone heard of someone pre-installing a conduit from the attic down to and in the slab to the outside for the purpose of running the coax to the attic for distribution to the rooms.
Yes all the time....A poured parking garage has the electrical all throughout it....And we also put sleeves in for sprinklers and control wiring...Use PVC pipe.

I am assuming to protect it from damage and allow a easy replacement if for some reason it is necessary. (like to replace it with copper :biggrin )
I don't recall having the Pex in a PVC pipe when we did our kitchen addition 10 years ago. But looking back, I think it would have been a good idea (no, not for replacing it with copper :D).

Just finished a slab house in Texas. Only piping in the concrete was the drain pipes and one PVC run for a floor receptacle (wall to floor place). The fiber comes in through a box on the outside wall and then though flex conduit to the distribution box. Water and gas comes into the wall structure above the concrete and is routed through the attic.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)