New Software: Hopper Duo (U990), Hopper 1 (....), Hopper 2 (....), Hopper 3 (....), Wally (....)

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
This is the new sticky thread for discussing any changes made by the newest software release. Moderators: Please change the thread title to add the latest software versions for the other Hopper / Wally models as that information becomes available. The new Application Software version is AN453a.

Available Joey Software versions (which should be the same, regardless of Hopper model) are listed below:

W152
W206
U961
U766
U864
U669
U582

Reactions: Howard Simmons
crodrules I just upgraded software on one of my Hopper 3s to U936. My other Hopper 3 is upgrading now. Is this where you want this post? Let me know. I can delete it if you wish. I will check the 40.0 remote control color buttons later today.

crodrules I just upgraded software on one of my Hopper 3s to U936. My other Hopper 3 is upgrading now. Is this where you want this post? Let me know. I can delete it if you wish. I will check the 40.0 remote control color buttons later today.
Yes, this is the correct place. Unlike my other sticky thread, this is not a "No Discussion" thread. :) In fact, discussion is encouraged. The idea is to have one combined thread to discuss the new software changes, since the changes usually affect more than one model of Hopper. Since none of us have every model of Hopper in our setup, it would be impossible for any one member to start a thread listing all of the available software versions. So, I started the thread with the versions that I knew about. I ask that members with the other Hopper models please post here to list your current software version. Now, the only thing that needs to happen is for a moderator to adjust the thread title, to add those versions to that list.

So far, the new versions posted here since I started the thread are:

Hopper 3 (U936)
Wally (U825)

We still need to hear from Hopper 2 and original-model Hopper users, so please post here.

H-3 U 935
4KJ U668
4KJ U669

I tried to download U936, didn't take it. I'll try later.

The two Joeys have different versions. When the H3 downloads a new version shouldn't the Joeys update as well?

Reactions: charlesrshell
H-3 U 935
4KJ U668
4KJ U669

The two Joeys have different versions. When the H3 downloads a new version shouldn't the Joeys update as well?
LQQK sometimes the Joeys update when the Hopper 3 updates and sometimes they don't. For this Hopper 3 U936 10/30/2020 update my Wireless Joeys and 4K Joeys also updated. The new versions are: WJ U766 10/30/2020 and 4KJ U699 10/30/2020.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I watched my Hopper Duo take the download, early this morning. (I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the progress bar on the screen.) Without me touching anything (or even being anywhere near the remote) the Hopper Duo suddenly stopped in the middle of the download and went to Live TV. (There were no timers set for this time period, either.) I immediately went to Diagnostics > Tools and selected the option to Upgrade Software. That time, the download went all the way through without a hitch. So, this download may take more than one attempt to get it to actually take.

H-3 U 935
4KJ U668
4KJ U669

As a general rule, whenever the Hopper software version changes, the Joey versions will change also. It is rare, but Dish does sometimes do Joey-only updates, without changing the Hopper software version. To make sure your Joeys get the latest version, make sure your Hopper and all Joeys are placed in standby after the Hopper completes its software download. (All software is downloaded to the Hopper first, and then the Hopper sends the update through to the Joeys.) If the entire system is in standby for at least a half-hour, with no timers scheduled during that time, then the Joeys will be updated to the latest version.

For what it's worth, I watched my Hopper Duo take the download, early this morning. (I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the progress bar on the screen.) Without me touching anything (or even being anywhere near the remote) the Hopper Duo suddenly stopped in the middle of the download and went to Live TV. (There were no timers set for this time period, either.) I immediately went to Diagnostics > Tools and selected the option to Upgrade Software. That time, the download went all the way through without a hitch. So, this download may take more than one attempt to get it to actually take.

As a general rule, whenever the Hopper software version changes, the Joey versions will change also. It is rare, but Dish does sometimes do Joey-only updates, without changing the Hopper software version. To make sure your Joeys get the latest version, make sure your Hopper and all Joeys are placed in standby after the Hopper completes its software download. (All software is downloaded to the Hopper first, and then the Hopper sends the update through to the Joeys.) If the entire system is in standby for at least a half-hour, with no timers scheduled during that time, then the Joeys will be updated to the latest version.

I thought it would take the 1st time because I saw step 5 (061) ran all the way on the progress gauge then it went through to step 7. I returned to the TV working but not updated. I'll be doing it soon as the wife leaves.

I was able to trigger the upgrade on my H3. My 1.5TB EHD has not shown up, though my 6TB disk remains. (No change there.)

I haven't looked on a Joey as yet, but the trick play on the J3's have been driving me nuts for months. I hope this update fixes that nonsense, along with the Joey pixelization problem.

Maybe one of the Tech's can post the release notes. They were supposed to fix the Joey pixelation problem.
They kind of stopped releasing those (at least to the public). That is sort of the purpose of this thread, so we can generate our own Release Notes, based on our observations.

(Now, having said that, one of the Techs probably will immediately jump on here with the full Release Details.) :biggrin

I tried doing an update this morning on one of my H2's and it went to U740 dated today...
Thank you for checking. I will go ahead and let the moderators know to update the thread title with the following software versions:

Hopper 2 (U740)
Hopper 3 (U936)
Wally (U825)

We rarely hear from Hopper 1 users in these software threads anymore. So, if there are any Hopper 1 users reading this, please report your software version here. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)