New software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Craig Henrikson said:
Hasn't it always been that way? Sure was for me.

Craig

When the guide is displayed, then yes it has always worked that way.

But when just viewing a channel in whatever list, and going (for example) to some Sirius channel by directly keying in that channel, it now goes to the last channel (or closest channel) in whatever list you are in. It didn't use to do that until 269 (at least for me).

I concur that 49% is much better. I had fairly bad multipath issues on a strong VHF station. It locks no problem now, after 49%'ing for < a second. Anyone who thinks this doesn't work - keep in mind how persnickity OTA tends to be.

KyDave said:
When the guide is displayed, then yes it has always worked that way.

But when just viewing a channel in whatever list, and going (for example) to some Sirius channel by directly keying in that channel, it now goes to the last channel (or closest channel) in whatever list you are in. It didn't use to do that until 269 (at least for me).
Then it was broken before and they fixed it. The reason for a favorites list is you want ONLY the channels you put in the list, it shouldn't go to a channel that is not in the current list.

Recall works in mine too.

DVI got obnoxiously bright. Can't find a sweet spot any more ... going to have to get up to recalibrate with the HDNet patterns. Some stations (HD) seem to have obnoxious color shift too ... like Color was ramped up on some, Tint on others ... never saw anything like this before. (I was afraid if they "fixed" the "dark video" problem it would f*** things up for those of us who had NO problem.)

Weird bug occurred. Was poking around the menus to see if anything new was added. Went to the Installation screen (where you see signal strength) ... I always mute the tv when I go there bec. the tone is so much louder than normal audio. Didn't see anything interesting, so backed out to the channel I was watching. Un-muted the tv, and the audio was stuck on the signal strength tone. Had to do a simple power cycle to the box to get normal audio back.

Didn't even try Ch. 100 last night, but if you guys have it I'm sure I will too. I'll check that out tonight.

Compair both my 811s (one with update and one without), the SD output are definitly improved. I also like the "partial zoom" function witch makes the picture much natual looking proportionally. It is the similar function on most of Sharp widescreen LCD TVs called "Smart strech". Since I only have OTA connected with one 811 (the one without update), so, I can not tell if the 49% was fixed. Audio level has not been changed, at least from my initial impression. I will pay more attention later.

AcuraCL said:
Didn't even try Ch. 100 last night, but if you guys have it I'm sure I will too. I'll check that out tonight.

CH100 does work. But most of the stuff in there doesn't work. Games etc..
When you select it, it just says this application will be available soon or something like that..

(not that I play games :)

n0qcu said:
Then it was broken before and they fixed it. The reason for a favorites list is you want ONLY the channels you put in the list, it shouldn't go to a channel that is not in the current list.

WRONG! The reason for the favorites list is to make finding your "favorites" in the EPG easier. If you can no longer go directly to a channel by entering its number directly with the numerical keyboard, then THEY BROKE IT.

GaryPen said:
They've always had "partial zoom". (Or, at least had it for many sw versions now.) Have they improved it? I didn't really notice.

I believe the poster is referring to the new zoom modes on the baseband composite and s-video outputs. The zoom modes on component and DVI are unchanged.

Keith.

GaryPen said:
WRONG! The reason for the favorites list is to make finding your "favorites" in the EPG easier. If you can no longer go directly to a channel by entering its number directly with the numerical keyboard, then THEY BROKE IT.

Agreed. I find this really annoying. Why should you have to change your favorites list to go to a manually entered channel? Neither my 508 or 501 exhibit this stupid behavior. Now on the other hand if they could apply this "feature(?)" solely to the search function on the 5xx and 7xx series receivers I would be a happy camper.

NightRyder

keith said:
I believe the poster is referring to the new zoom modes on the baseband composite and s-video outputs. The zoom modes on component and DVI are unchanged.

Keith.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see. (said the blind man.)

The addition of SD Output zoom modes is great. OTOH, that dialog box that pops up when you hit the * key is majorly annoying. If they want to add SD format functionality to the page down key, great. But, why F up the * function with that annoying box in the middle of the screen for those changing format on an HD output? That's just plain stupid.

GaryPen said:

Well, I still have 268 - so I decided to check on this issue. I was in a personalized favorites list, not in EPG but watching a channel, and punched a channel number that isn't in my list. It went to the channel right above the one I puched in (which IS in my favorites list). So at least for me, the issue being discussed is already like that for me (w/o the 269 update).

The dark S-video problem is improved to where I can use the same brightness settings for S-video, component, my VCR via composite and DVD player without switching between different setup menus. Luckily My DVD player has individual brightness settings. However my brightness settings are still about 5 notches above where they where for when I had my 6000, so the fix is not totally perfect but I'll take it. As long as I can keep the same settings for all imputs and not switch every time is a major relief.

GaryPen said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see. (said the blind man.)

The addition of SD Output zoom modes is great. OTOH, that dialog box that pops up when you hit the * key is majorly annoying. If they want to add SD format functionality to the page down key, great. But, why F up the * function with that annoying box in the middle of the screen for those changing format on an HD output? That's just plain stupid.

Did you try Page Up yet? I didn't hook up component or DVI yet (because I swapped in a 6000/VGA until the 811 was fixed) but I believe that will toggle through the HD zoom modes without a popup.

Keith.

That's there way of teaching you how to use the page up/page down buttons instead of the * button. Perhaps they could've released a manual on line or something, but this is much easier to get the message out. I suppose they can remove the message in the next software update ;)

I got what you mean for the favorites now, I thought that's how it was, because I could never enter a channel not in my favorites on my 322, but now it works, so i guess it is something they changed.

And that recall button still doenst work for me, so I don't know what's going on there

keith said:
Did you try Page Up yet? I didn't hook up component or DVI yet (because I swapped in a 6000/VGA until the 811 was fixed) but I believe that will toggle through the HD zoom modes without a popup.

Keith.

I think Gary's point was that they should not have added the annoying pop up and had both work the way they did. My take is that they felt the change would be beneficial in the long run. Easier to remember. Page Up HD, Page Down SD. My guess is they added the dialog box to help in train the current 811 users. Point us in the right direction.

I see with the new additional functionality added for SD this change makes sense. Takes a little retraining for current 811 users, but having two buttons do the same thing usually is not a good thing in usability.

Guys this sounds silly, but are we all referring to the same button on the 811 remote. The 811 has a "Recall" button which is blue and a "R" buton which is green. The green button, at least for me does not fuction. The blue does work within the stated problems.

AndyMon said:
Any change in the low audio output levels? I almost blew my brains out the other day when switching from a Dish music channel to another input on my audio receiver.
As you can see, my ears are very sensitive to sound <G>

I, without a doubt, have the same problem.
When I switch between my 811 and 522, my house shakes.

WJMorales said:
Guys this sounds silly, but are we all referring to the same button on the 811 remote. The 811 has a "Recall" button which is blue and a "R" buton which is green. The green button, at least for me does not fuction. The blue does work within the stated problems.

The green "R" is the dish for dummies button, usedon analog tvs to get the tv to go back to the correct source the receiver is plugged into

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)