New Software!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got home tonight and found some new software on the 922 with an nice new look. :) The new software version is APF1.

Yes my recordings were gone so there was some type of format of the drive, however all my settings were retained, so it was not a full system format.

So far very nice update!

Looks a lot nicer.

It's able to see the media servers I have in the house, but doesn't look like it's loading the content yet. That would be nice once they get that feature working.

Still doesn't see the EHD I have connected.

Overall it looks really good.

Looks a lot nicer.

It's able to see the media servers I have in the house, but doesn't look like it's loading the content yet. That would be nice once they get that feature working.

Still doesn't see the EHD I have connected.

Overall it looks really good.

That would be awesome! I'd love to browse content on my home PC from the 922.

That would be awesome! I'd love to browse content on my home PC from the 922.

My son set up a media server in another room and we use his PS3 to watch movies and series in HD that we can't get locally. It'll be nice to have that function built into the Dish receiver.

I'm still not thrilled with the remote though.

You can use a regular Dish Network remote control, right? After seeing that remote in action, I would not be thrilled with using it either butone might be able to get used to it after using it for a while. It is like a computer platform.

No you can not use a regular Dish Network remote.

In this revision they added a numeric keypad to the remote (press the KEYPAD button twice to activate it.)

Yes the new Media Center function added DLNA functionality. I can even browse stuff off my DirecTV DVR's as well. :)

Nice upgrade.

No you can not use a regular Dish Network remote.

In this revision they added a numeric keypad to the remote (press the KEYPAD button twice to activate it.)

Yes the new Media Center function added DLNA functionality. I can even browse stuff off my DirecTV DVR's as well. :)

Nice upgrade.

Although you can't use a regular remote you can use a mouse and keyboard. The menu system is pretty easy to navigate with just a mouse.

Scott were you able to see content on the 922? I selected a couple of different media servers, but it just acted like it was loading and I eventually exited out.

Yes I am able to listen to music and look at pictures. Sometimes the music locks up after playing for about two seconds, other times it just plays.

To get it to play anything from my PC I have Orb installed on it. I might pay with it and see if I can watch live TV from my Windows Media Center PC on the 922. I am also trying to stream live audio on the 922 as well. :) I need to figure out what formats this thing plays.

They need to at least add a shuffle feature. Its a pain selecting a song one by one.

Nice upgrade.

I'm really looking forward to this. It will be nice to be able to stream from one DVR to another or even from netflix/hulu to the DVR via the PC and PlayOn Media Server which I currently use and stream to my PS3.

I got the update, and it looks much better however I feel it still has a long way to go before it is released. I have found myself using the red reset button a lot since the new software came yesterday.

I also do not like it that it appears the only way you will be able to watch your 922's Slingbox is via dish.sling.com when I try watching it on my mac I get a message saying "This device is not supported by Slingplayer. Please go to dish.sling.com to watch this device.

I go to dish.sling.com and while I can access my 922 I can no longer watch it on my mac. When I try watching anything my only selection is "watch on TV." However this might be do to the MAC os update I installed yesterday.

Looking at the release notes for this software it looks as though they are going to rush this 922 out the door when it is still unstable. I noticed this in the release notes.

"MAJOR FEATURES MADE AVAILABLE AFTER CUSTOMER LAUNCH:
• USB connectivity (e.g., external hard drive, ARCHOS)
• System Wizard and Recover"

I found the "numeric keypad" feature Scott talked about earlier, actually its kind of a smart idea. The buttons on it are laid out like this

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

But it looks like they are hearing a lot of comments on the ned for IR remote support as I noticed this feature listed as coming soon.

First Look ViP922 Software & Hardware Features
IR discrete On/Off - NOTE Planned for future.

These remotes EAT BATTERIES, I have already replaced my batteries 3 times in each remote. I store my remotes on top of the 922 when I am not using them. There is no reason why the batteries should die this quick.

Please Dish don't rush this out the door, it is NOT ready for Prime Time. While you will make folks happy by getting it out there, you will aggravate your customers when they go to watch TV and their unit don't work, causing just more service calls for me, and also in turn you will cause lots of complaints on forums like this one with unhappy customers.

I agree as well, this is Dish Networks "Crown Jewel", it should go out polished and bug free, anything less then that and they are doing a disservice to not only their customers but to themselves.

Not the best quality, but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• Picture 118.jpg
    Picture 118.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 302
I hope they dont wait too long as in more than a Month.

My DirecTV contract is up. As soon as this is out to the public and I can watch free Video from the web (like Youtube, CBS, Hulu, ect) and view News, Weather, and Sports Web pages, I will switch back to Dish.

Even if the product is a little buggy I would switch.

I think Dish knows there are others like me and they are in a rush to get this out to gain customers.

Its all about the features. I cant find anything else that will even come close on a provider with this many HD channels and a HD DVR with these proposed features.

If DishNetwork wanted to they could hire many more Temp Contractor Programmers and Temp QA testers and get this done in One Month if they wanted to. Timelines can be about the money and the return on investment.

P.S. I ALREADY HATE THE REMOTE- bring back the normal IR remote please.

I agree as well, this is Dish Networks "Crown Jewel", it should go out polished and bug free, anything less then that and they are doing a disservice to not only their customers but to themselves.

Did Charlie ever learn that TIME IS MONEY?

Dish REALLY needs to get a NORMAL remote to become compatable with this receiver. This could kill this receiver's popularity with many people.

Got another new software update. This one being APG1.

Dont notice much different although the Sling setup button that was added the other day is now gone and the channel logos are missing from the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts