New Speakers!

Ok, here they are. Man, these suckers are huge. I ended up around 7 feet apart, and they are pretty even with the front of the center (Audyssey had them all measure within inches of each other from the center listening position). I also chose to use the floor spikes.

Audyssey set the 82's at Full Band and the 62 at small and 40hz. Made em both small and 80hz for now. I tried toeing them in, but with their size, they just looked goofy IMO. I tightened them up distance wise between each other, and left them straight firing. Everything seemed to go fine with audyssey, and when they were firing the test tones, you could really tell the 82's have some decent thump.

Installed pads and spikes
IMG_2372.jpg

Front
IMG_2373.jpg

Rear
IMG_2374.jpg

New vs old :)
IMG_2375.jpg

New view
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Definitely a lot more thump now, watching nighttime dramas so not much action, but music and things like doors shutting really sounds good. Also, when crossed at 80, the sound is much more full, doesnt feel like Im missing some grunt where the sub dropped off and the promonitors took over the front channel.

I still don't get the whole "Klipsch horns are fatiguing" thing, different strokes I guess. The RC-62 hangs in there better than any center Ive owned, regardless of volume and whats going on, voices are easily made out.

elway:

Audyssey definitely makes some "interesting" choices for what it considers to be a large, i.e. full range speaker.

If you want your mind blown, toggle in and out the EQ and see if you can hear a difference... A great scene for this in movies is any of the rain scenes in Open Range.

These damn things sound great. Very enveloping, full, thumpy, and between the 3 front speakers they are all loud and clear. The RF82 II is damn fine, but the RC62 flat destroys the ProCenter 2000 as a center channel. Sounds are so much more clear, and voices are very easy to distinguish. With the center being a vital part to each show/movie, it really stands out as an improvement.

At times the ProCenter voices sometimes seemed overwhelmed by other speakers, or maybe even sounds coming from it's channel, and they also sounded nasally at times. These 3 speakers seem so well balanced to each other, nothing stands out as too much or too little, and they just mesh. Sounds are clean and loud, but do not drown anything out and sound like they are too loud. It's quite amazing, and this comes from someone who does not claim to be an audiophile by any means.

New question. If I chose to use these as my rear surround in a 5.2 system:

x2_fd0b297a71f9a0b8348785effad654a4.jpg

x5_fd0b297a71f9a0b8348785effad654a4.jpg

And have two rows planned (3x3 chairs with a riser for the second row. Should this type of speaker be mounted even with the area between the each row, to disperse equally to both rows, or even with the back row?

Klipsch shows mounting them up on the wall to each side of the listening position, but then says back wall mounting is OK. I was guessing 3 feet above ear level, side wall, even with area between first and second row was right...

Attachments

• x5_fd0b297a71f9a0b8348785effad654a4.jpg
    x5_fd0b297a71f9a0b8348785effad654a4.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 144
This layout has them to each side of the room, kinda how I was thinking. I guess you could add one more to the back wall, firing forward, for 6.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, thats the diagrams I keep seeing.

Still loving the reference speakers. Those two fronts really even out the bass, and add to it. Before, the sub was too easy to pick out because when I had all speakers crossed at 80hz, the 5.25" pro monitors really did not add any and there seemed to be a gap, when I crossed them at 100hz per the Def Tech recommendation, it sounded better but was real easy to pick out direction of the sub. Now, with the RF-82II's crossed at 80hz, bassy scenes seem more even across the whole front and the sub is less detected. They 8" woofers also seem to add very tight bass that sounds great.

Gonna watch Friends with Benefits tonight, and Jurassic Park tomorrow night, cant wait.

you have to be careful where you place them. ideally they are to the side and behind the listener in a 5.1 system.

if we consider a line from front to back at dead center of the room as 0 degrees you want the surrounds from 135 to 150 degrees for both rows.

Do the best you can based on that guideline.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I was able, after a lot of reading, to hit most of the recommendations for front speaker placement. I have them 7.5 feet apart, toed in at close to 22 degrees from center, and close to forming the perfect triangle with the center.

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

The distance setting for the speakers is supposed to resolve that by delaying signals to the closer speakers appropriately.

Of course in a perfect world you have all 3 speakers equidistant but how many of us have that type of room.

Nice look though :)

Man, spreading these puppies out really worked nicely, and I have them about 5" off the wall, must be helping the bass too. Instead of being able to pick out the sub with the Def Tech's, it's like bass is coming from all around both sides of the tv man, I love it. Like a freaking bass wall.

Ok, here are the new additions to the family. I was able to listen to some Klipsch Reference, and got some friendly advice from teachsac. I started figuring, why not enjoy them now, why wait for the house build :)

Will get the surrounds at a later date.

My two fronts:

Klipsch RB-81 II
x2_7b64c75124c8bdc27b980f55bd15984a.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM: 2010
  • DEPTH: 12.3" (31.2cm) with grille
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing port
  • FINISHES: Black Ash & Cherry woodgrain vinyl
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 44Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
  • HEIGHT: 19" (48.4cm)
  • HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1400Hz
  • HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn
  • INPUTS: Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp
  • LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: 8" (20.3cm) Cerametallic cone woofer
  • MOUNTING: Dual bottom mount 1/4"-20 threaded inserts
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
  • POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak
  • SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
  • WEIGHT: 27.5lbs (12.5kg)
  • WIDTH: 9.3" (23.5cm)

My center:

Klipsch RC-62 II
x2_20dc2baed9fc5a32c938884bb291d997.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

• DEPTH: 12.8" (32.4cm) with grille
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via dual front-firing ports
  • FINISHES: Black Ash & Cherry woodgrain vinyl
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 57Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
  • HEIGHT: 8" (20.3cm)
  • HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1500Hz
  • HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn
  • INPUTS: Single binding posts
  • LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers
  • MOUNTING: Uptilt and Downtilt feet
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
  • SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
  • WEIGHT: 30.4lbs (13.8kg)
  • WIDTH: 23.5" (59.7cm)

My rears (to be ordered when the room is constructed):

Klipsch RC-62 II
fd0b297a71f9a0b8348785effad654a4.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

• DEPTH: 9.2" (23.4cm)
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via quad side-firing ports
  • FINISH: Matte Black vinyl
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
  • HEIGHT: 15" (38.1cm)
  • HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 1300Hz
  • HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression drivers mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horns
  • INPUTS: Single binding posts
  • LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers
  • MOUNTING: Keyhole bracket and quad 1/4"-20 threaded inserts
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms compatible
  • SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
  • WEIGHT: 22.7lbs (10.3kg)
  • WIDTH: 16.3" (41.5cm)

I stuck with bookshelfs, but they do have 8" woofers :)

i love the sound of vintage klipschs. i have a klipsch center speaker which is only a few years old. but i'm thinking about upgrading to b&w's and using my jbl studio speakers as rears!

i love the sound of vintage klipschs. i have a klipsch center speaker which is only a few years old. but i'm thinking about upgrading to b&w's and using my jbl studio speakers as rears!

Or you can watch craigslist for vintage Klipsch. If you are patient, it will turn up. I have seen everything from KG series up to Klipschorns in the Milwaukee craigslist.

Man, spreading these puppies out really worked nicely, and I have them about 5" off the wall, must be helping the bass too. Instead of being able to pick out the sub with the Def Tech's, it's like bass is coming from all around both sides of the tv man, I love it. Like a freaking bass wall.

Well, to follow up one more time, I love these things. I don't find myself wishing something more was there anymore when watching movies, pretty awesome.

actually a pair of heresays just popped up on craigslist here. may go check them out! :)

i forgot a pair of la scallas showed up about 10 days ago. they didn't look too good in the pics but they were sold before i had a chance to check out.

i do have a pair (not sure about the model number but they have like 12 inch passive radiators on the back of the speaker) that i'm using in my current home theater system. looks like they are kg 4's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)