Titanium Satellite New to C-band Micro bud suggestions

teflonman

Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
montreal
Hi

I have been using a 36 inch ku band dish now for a year now and its been great. Its ponted at 87 west. along with my OTA antennas Im getting about 30 channels and very happy with this. I use tvheadend and kodi for viewing.

Reccently I have lost the Univision KTEL signal and by reading some of the post its not comming back. Therefore Im scambling to bring back some spanish tv in my houseshold.

Looking at Lynsat all the good spanish channels are on C-band

I would like to start small with modest equipement to see if it works.

here is my equipement list :

> 1.2 meter dish roof mount
> titanium C band lnb double output with scaller.
> cable I will use dual rg6
> rg6 connectors
> Tbs 6902 (tv capture card)
> no motor for now.

here are the channels I would like to have (Im not sure which ones are easy to get using a 1.2 meter dish)

118.8 w Anik F3 univision (3) DVB-S SD
> clear channels as per Lynsat.
> 91.0 W Galaxy 17 DVB-S univision clear as per lynsat
> 99.0 w Galaxy 16 SD DVB-STV3 /Bajio tv.
> clear as per Lynsat.

Latitude:
45.5 Longitude: -73.583333 (Montreal)

Before I start on this c-band adventure I would like to have a idea a) if this has any chance of working b) which channels are a better choice than others (weaker vs stronger) C) can this equipent list be improved while keeping the cost down.

I already aware that rain and snow my affect my viewing needs.

Any suggestion are welcomed and thanks in advance.

I did the microbud experiment as well with a 1.2 meter dish. I was able to get a handful of the strongest stations but really not a heck of a lot worth watching. You won't get any channel coded 8-psk and probably none that are DVB S2. About all you can do is to give it a try and see what works. You can get a new 6' mesh dish for less than $300 now and an 8' dish for $350. That would be the route to go. Anything else is just playing around. I did it before I got a real dish and others have as well so it's worth experimenting. The easiest channels are going to be straight DVB and they need a lot of FEC either 1/2 or 3/4.

Reactions: danristheman
To go with what Arion said, frankly you REALLY are defeating yourself if you don't install at least an 6ft dish minimum, 8ft is better, 10ft is really a no-brainer. These signals are meant for cable operators, who have 15ft dishes minimum to keep threshold signals!

FREE usable c-band dishes are available for the asking. All you need to do is focus on any you see at peoples houses, carry some tools, and start knocking on doors and asking if you can have it. If they are close enough to your property (within 30~ miles) and you lift them right off the pole, mount and all, you can plant a pole at your place, plop the whole deal on that pole, and probably will only have to make very slight adjustments to get it up and running.

Try to go for metal mesh, or spun aluminum (the holy grail of dishes!). Stay away from old fiberglass dishes. Some are very good admittedly, BUT, most are 250-300 lbs, need 36" actuators, and look ugly as Hell.

Only time you go with a mini bud is when you have can't have a big dish like in a HOA, a rental or anything on that line. I like my minibud I love to have a big dish. I know you can get some channels on 116w c band I picked up azteca and some others your mileage may vary.

Bigger dish is better.

primestar31 is saying what I have done. I have picked up 3 C band dishes, 2 eight footers and 1 ten footer.
I cost way less to drive around looking and you have something faster then buying new.

Really my 7.5 footer picks most up.

Reactions: danristheman
My mini-bud is an 8-footer... even that's too small much of the interesting "stuff". It might be big enough to pick up one or two of the channels mentioned in the opening post, but not with a lot of headroom signal-wise. Pic below is my mini-bud. To the lower left you can see the 1.2m channel master Ku dish for 103w.

. IMG_4039 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: RimaNTSS
You might want to try Hispasat @ 30W. There are 2 channels from Spain (sometimes in Castilian Spanish, sometimes respectively in Basque or Galician), a bunch of Cuban channels and 4 Argentinian channels, plus TV Marti. Plus many radio stations in Spanish.

From Connecticut, the Cuban and Spanish channels are easy to receive on a 90 cm dish or even on a Slimline. The Argentinian channels are a bit lower power but still mostly ok.

I believe Montreal is a bit further out of the footprint, so might be a bit borderline on a 36" but certainly worth a try...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts