New to D*, question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

psternklar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Albany, NY area
Hi, Just got D* installed yesterday, Slimline, 1 HR-20-100, 3 standard, and I am happy!. The installer talked with me about the protection plan. I said no, but would think about it. Is it worth it? Will D* send out new boxes if I do not have the plan? If all it covers is the dish and wiring I do not think it is worth it. But, if it covers the receivers as well it may be. Thanks.

I dont find the protection plan worth it. Anyone that I have talked to that has a dish problem or receiver dead, they fix it despite not being on a the plan. Especially since the receivers are leased, if they stop working, you get another one. Even when I purchased my first HR10-250, it died after 6 months and they sent me a new one no problem. I think the protection plan is just another way of getting monthly fees.

I dont find the protection plan worth it. Anyone that I have talked to that has a dish problem or receiver dead, they fix it despite not being on a the plan. Especially since the receivers are leased, if they stop working, you get another one. Even when I purchased my first HR10-250, it died after 6 months and they sent me a new one no problem. I think the protection plan is just another way of getting monthly fees.
If thats true ,Someone here better get a Directv rep. here Right NOW and explain this!!!! Because I want my money back!!:mad:

Hi, Just got D* installed yesterday, Slimline, 1 HR-20-100, 3 standard, and I am happy!. The installer talked with me about the protection plan. I said no, but would think about it. Is it worth it? Will D* send out new boxes if I do not have the plan? If all it covers is the dish and wiring I do not think it is worth it. But, if it covers the receivers as well it may be. Thanks.

Without the protection plan D* can charge you $19.95 S&H to replace your receiver.Plus you left out the most important part the LNB/switches are also covered under the protection plan along with alignments,coax,labor plus if you own your receiver it covers that also.But if you have an extra $70+ bucks around all the time.I don't think the protection plan is for you.:rolleyes:

P.S. When you sign up for the protection plan it does not go active until 31 days after.Of course D* does not charge you until then either.That's for procrastinators
who think I'll just wait until something goes out then sign up and get it fixed.;)

Last edited:
Thats the trade off. Sometimes S&H will be thrown in free sometimes not. I look at it like the cost of the plan. Sometimes it washes but not always. I feel better to pay when you absolutely have to or do the protection plan if you have an issue if you can wait a month. Insurance policies are always that toss up and usually based on your level of comfort. Some people sleep better at night knowing they are protected. I am usually upgrading so many times that I dont keep receivers more than 2-3 years.

Generally, and IMHO only, the protection plan is a good idea if you have more than one receiver. If you have only one receiver, you really should think twice about it.

The protection plan will cost you approx. $72 per year, or the cost of one service call per year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)