New to D*, question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

psternklar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Albany, NY area
Hi, Just got D* installed yesterday, Slimline, 1 HR-20-100, 3 standard, and I am happy!. The installer talked with me about the protection plan. I said no, but would think about it. Is it worth it? Will D* send out new boxes if I do not have the plan? If all it covers is the dish and wiring I do not think it is worth it. But, if it covers the receivers as well it may be. Thanks.

I dont find the protection plan worth it. Anyone that I have talked to that has a dish problem or receiver dead, they fix it despite not being on a the plan. Especially since the receivers are leased, if they stop working, you get another one. Even when I purchased my first HR10-250, it died after 6 months and they sent me a new one no problem. I think the protection plan is just another way of getting monthly fees.

I dont find the protection plan worth it. Anyone that I have talked to that has a dish problem or receiver dead, they fix it despite not being on a the plan. Especially since the receivers are leased, if they stop working, you get another one. Even when I purchased my first HR10-250, it died after 6 months and they sent me a new one no problem. I think the protection plan is just another way of getting monthly fees.
If thats true ,Someone here better get a Directv rep. here Right NOW and explain this!!!! Because I want my money back!!:mad:

Hi, Just got D* installed yesterday, Slimline, 1 HR-20-100, 3 standard, and I am happy!. The installer talked with me about the protection plan. I said no, but would think about it. Is it worth it? Will D* send out new boxes if I do not have the plan? If all it covers is the dish and wiring I do not think it is worth it. But, if it covers the receivers as well it may be. Thanks.

Without the protection plan D* can charge you $19.95 S&H to replace your receiver.Plus you left out the most important part the LNB/switches are also covered under the protection plan along with alignments,coax,labor plus if you own your receiver it covers that also.But if you have an extra $70+ bucks around all the time.I don't think the protection plan is for you.:rolleyes:

P.S. When you sign up for the protection plan it does not go active until 31 days after.Of course D* does not charge you until then either.That's for procrastinators
who think I'll just wait until something goes out then sign up and get it fixed.;)

Last edited:
Thats the trade off. Sometimes S&H will be thrown in free sometimes not. I look at it like the cost of the plan. Sometimes it washes but not always. I feel better to pay when you absolutely have to or do the protection plan if you have an issue if you can wait a month. Insurance policies are always that toss up and usually based on your level of comfort. Some people sleep better at night knowing they are protected. I am usually upgrading so many times that I dont keep receivers more than 2-3 years.

Generally, and IMHO only, the protection plan is a good idea if you have more than one receiver. If you have only one receiver, you really should think twice about it.

The protection plan will cost you approx. $72 per year, or the cost of one service call per year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)