New to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gfs

Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hi All,
It looks that we'll be joining the DirecTV subscribers. I've got a couple of questions.

What is the resolution of the normal HD channels? 720i/p or 1080i/p ?

DirecTV is talking about adding more HD channels--is it a good guess that these will be paid or prmium channels.

What is the resolution of the local channels?

Our primary TV where the HD DVR will be is in the basement. We'd like to have a second signal in the masterbed on the second floor. The simple solution is to get another HD tuner. BUT I'm wondering if one can put a splitter on the output of the HDDVR and just send the signal to the second floor? The next question would be if there is a controller that would control the channel selection on the HD DVR in the basement from the second floor. (I know that Dish has this capability-but I have rejected them as a provider so I'm looking at options for DirecTV.)

I know Don't be cheap--just get an extra tuner!!!!

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated, TIA George

Your question on the HD resolution all depends on the channel. Some are 720P and others are 1080i.

Since JAG72 answered your resolution quesiton, I'll answer the other part.

Yes you can send the signal from the box to the upstairs tv. If you want to send it up there using coax, you would need an rf modulator to do that. There are no RF coax outputs on the DirecTV HD DVR receivers. You could also send it up there with one of the other outputs, s-video, composite or component. All outputs run simultaneously. The big problem is you have to watch the exact same channel as what is on downstairs.

The best solution is a seperate box upstairs. It will cost you an extra $5 a month....and....with MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) soon to be released, you could watch what is recorded downstairs on the upstairs receiver if you have your boxes networked....

A CSR told me (I wouldnt believe it as fact) that about 30 of the new HD channels will be premium channels (HBO HD's, Cinemax HD's etc).

As I said though Ill believe it when I see it, they put out a press release in 2007 saying they were about to launch all the HBO's in HD, never happened.

I will say that WE do not know which HD channels are comming there are some are a few that are marked as comming soon such as BBC America and a few others but nothing about HBO Cinemax ... But The corporate hype is they are going to cram 70 channels of HD on D12. Because it has the room for up to 70 with a little room left over according to them and there commerical propganda

Thank you JAG and others.

I'll just get a second HD receiver---I don't want to get into a situation where I have to fiddle around to make things work---wife acceptance factor is BIG here--if you know what I mean!

George

Thank you JAG and others.

I'll just get a second HD receiver---I don't want to get into a situation where I have to fiddle around to make things work---wife acceptance factor is BIG here--if you know what I mean!

George

congrats and welcome to Directv!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)