New to Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Just installed yesterday (Genie and 2 clients). Came from Comcast X1 DVR, left because of CRAZY price hike (was with Dish years ago when HD first came out). I have to say that compared to the X1, the Genie user interface is some what of a mess and very outdated. Hopefully since AT&T now owns it, they will update it sooner than later, maybe wishful thinking.

On another note, is there a site to manage the DVR on a computer over the internet? Seems to not be a good place to do that.

Had very hard rain last night, lost the signal for about 30 seconds. All in all, not bad.

Just installed yesterday (Genie and 2 clients). Came from Comcast X1 DVR, left because of CRAZY price hike (was with Dish years ago when HD first came out). I have to say that compared to the X1, the Genie user interface is some what of a mess and very outdated. Hopefully since AT&T now owns it, they will update it sooner than later, maybe wishful thinking.

On another note, is there a site to manage the DVR on a computer over the internet? Seems to not be a good place to do that.

Had very hard rain last night, lost the signal for about 30 seconds. All in all, not bad.
Welcome to DirecTV. Even though we've been with DirecTV for a very long time, when we had the Xfinity tech come out to install our cable Internet, even he said to stay away from the video side, as there's much more negotiation room with DirecTV than with Comcast.

Regarding the UI, this is a constantly changing thing. Perhaps if there was such a thing as the "perfect" or "ideal" UI, then someone would already be sporting it, and even it would never need changing. Therefore, that's always going to change based on UX (user experience) as well as hardware/software at hand.

Secondly, regarding managing a DVR on a computer over the Internet, you're kind of putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. There's no need to manage the DVR remotely, as it is its own server. Basically, all that you're really doing is storing programming on the DVR for eventual consumption either via a TV or some other device. The DVR, per se, is designed to be managed while sitting in front of it via a TV. I'm not sure that any other provider provides such functionality; if you're thinking Plex or some other similar multimedia PC-based environment, then you're talking about a totally different beast to begin with.

As far as rain fade is concerned, we, too, have very little issue with that. And in the event that the fade becomes severe (because we have a severe t-storm or such in the area), then we're usually prepping for bad weather, which means we tend to switch to mobile devices using either Xfinity or LTE to get local stations anyway.

I hope the above helps!

With DirecTV DVRs, you can setup a recording remotely via the website or mobile app, but you cannot manage the box in the same way you can with a Tivo or Dish DVR. It is a one-way configuration model only. Not sure what X1 allowed you to do.

Welcome to the family and soon you will know that Directv is better than X1, in general. My parents have the X1 system. That guide might be flashy and pretty, but it is not user-intuitive. Although I just spent 3 days with Fios and their guide is a complete disaster. There is a old-time feel to the D* guide, but that is better than a bunch of options and flashy pictures and extra clutter that doesn't need to be there. Could it show more than 90 minutes? Yes. Could it have 2-rows for each channel? Yes. Does the font need to be so huge? No. I would like to see the channel logos on the guide, with the channel name, because I think it looks better with some color, but X1 and Fios take it WAY overboard. Comcast needs that stupid voice remote because the channel order and general design of the X1 make it hard to find things. I have a very old Comcast STB and the guide on that thing hasn't changed since the mid 1990s!

It's relatively new, but you can stream anything on Directv anywhere and watch things from the DVR but, like others have said, there is no official online/app DVR management system. You can record and watch from other devices but not much else. Set up your mobile DVR when you're on your home Internet and it seems to work better. Some people have having problems with certain channels not showing up, but I am no longer having that issue.

Good luck with the clients/mini genies...

Secondly, regarding managing a DVR on a computer over the Internet, you're kind of putting the cart before the horse, so to speak. There's no need to manage the DVR remotely, as it is its own server. Basically, all that you're really doing is storing programming on the DVR for eventual consumption either via a TV or some other device. The DVR, per se, is designed to be managed while sitting in front of it via a TV. I'm not sure that any other provider provides such functionality; if you're thinking Plex or some other similar multimedia PC-based environment, then you're talking about a totally different beast to begin with.!

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I"m looking to do to be able manage (add or delete) scheduled recordings, etc. Both Comcast and Dish have this functiona

Thanks for the responses. I guess what I"m looking to do to be able manage (add or delete) scheduled recordings, etc. Both Comcast and Dish have this functiona
DVR scheduling can be done via the AT&T app.

As far as deleting certain schedules, I do believe that still has to be done on the actual DVR itself.

Can somebody explain the Protection Plan please. I understand the basics regarding service calls etc but I heard that AT&T has changed the program a bit. Will I be charged a penalty if I cancel say 6 months from now?

Can somebody explain the Protection Plan please. I understand the basics regarding service calls etc but I heard that AT&T has changed the program a bit. Will I be charged a penalty if I cancel say 6 months from now?

When I was a tech it was free to cancel in the first 30 days. After that it was a $10 charge to cancel it. Not sure if it's changed or not

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think they may have a 6 month requirement if you get the protection plan in exchange for a free service call, or perhaps that was Dish, I can't recall. As a new customer I highly doubt there is any min requirement, and it is often free for a while after signup (thought that may have changed).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts