New To Dish Network - Reciever Questions

koojoe

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm switching from DirecTv to Dish Network and had a question about recievers. Since I'll be a new member I was offered the 522 dvr. I have researched and found SEVERAL instances of problems with the unit. Therefore I have decided to keep my ReplayTv unit. Which has worked flawless and has native lan support for file transfers.

My question is which units are available as recievers to new members currently? Do you feel my decision was right? It only amounts to 8 dollars more a month to use replaytv than Dish Networks problematic DVR.

Anyone else have a similiar setup that can give tips? Ex. - Did you use the serial cable for the Dish units?

All I can say is, as an installer if the 522 was as bad as you read on this site I would have alot more trouble calls than what I do. I install several a week an have less than 1 service call a month on that unit.

The following units can be had for new customers

If you order a four room system and don't want a 522 you will get two 322's. Unless you want HD. Then you would get a 811+301 or 311+322.

It really depends on what you want..

Well I guess my question is more of a DVR inquiry.

I've heard about a screensaver problem with the 322 and the replaytv units. I was possibly looking into getting a 301 or 311 but I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the two.

I just need a basic reciever that gets along with the replaytv and has one LNB usage. I don't need dual outputs ATM.

Also the local guy says there is a 1 year agreement on hardware but the ads from Dish say there are no commitments. Would a 'standard' unit, such as the 301, qualify for someone and not require a commitment?

There are NO E* receivers that will work with the serial cable, so I think you are going to be disappointed when you start dealing with this anyway. (since you are now accustomed to reliable channel changes w/your D* receiver) ;) ;)

Just curious, but why ARE you wanting to switch to E*???

kojoe said:
Also the local guy says there is a 1 year agreement on hardware but the ads from Dish say there are no commitments. Would a 'standard' unit, such as the 301, qualify for someone and not require a commitment?
The reason for the local committment is to avoid being screwed by E* (chargeback) if you disconnect before a year is up. It's the retailer's money on the line for that first year. :(

Dish is about 10-15 a month cheaper.. and does have the local channels not available with Direct Tv. I have been using an IR blaster with my old DTV unit so that really isn't an issue. It can be tweaked.

Koojoe watch out for the 3rd party contracts. You should'nt sign them. I understand the reason for them I just don't believe in them. I agrre with you using a local retailer but third party contracts should not be part of the deal. You're signing up for service with Dish Network not the retailer. What state are you in??

I'm in Texas. Should I get the no contract without the insurance on the unit or go for the one year contract with insurance for free?

I called the Dish 800 line and they set things up for next week.

Depends on the equipment you are getting. Remember it is a leae. If the installer is a quality guy you should not have any issues with the install. The recievers may act up, depending on which one you get. If at all possible be there when the install is done and ask questions, lots of questions if you're not familiar with satellites. If the installer cannot answer your questions, ask him to call a supervisor. If your getting single tuners DO NOT let him leave with anything below a signal strength of 95 - 100 on both satellites 110 and 119 transponders 11 and 12. Dual tuners will be abit lower as far as the signal strenght. As far as the protection plan. You can sign the 1 year commitment and not have to pay for it, but keep in mind you get a standard 90 day warranty on the install and you may want to ask Dish, but I believe you get a 1 year warranty on the equipment. Good luck and keep us posted. I know if the install is at top quality you will enjoy the system.

Thanks for the tip. I am getting a single 311 unit installed on Friday the 11th.

I only get a signal of 80-85 with my directv setup. I did install that one by myself without any tools except for a ladder and a drill. I was so tired I said to myself. "Heck it works and I'm dead tired, forget about improving the strength". I just aimed it in a general direction.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Well I also called DirecTV to cancel on the date my dish network should be installed. They were very curious as to why I was cancelling.. I explained the money saved and local channels available. The responded by telling me that they CAN knock of 5 bucks off my bill if that would help. I politely declined. They then proceeded to tell me to keep my equipment because a lot of dish users go back to directv after been 'unimpressed' by the dish service.

funny eh.

koojoe said:
They then proceeded to tell me to keep my equipment because a lot of dish users go back to directv after been 'unimpressed' by the dish service.
funny eh.

Actually, if you just read these boards, you might find it to NOT be too funny, as well as you OWN experience may dictate... ;) ;)

Enjoy leasing the DISH Network equipment and recalculate your savings on DISH. Directv in most cases has lower programming prices than DISH Network and much more reliable equipment. Your choice of the 311 will give you the most reliable of DISH Networks receivers. Unless you have very old Directv equipment you will find features lacking on the 311.

Will a replaytv and 522 get along? Since I'm going to be locked into a 1 year contract I'm thinking of getting the pvr anyway. I've heard it has problems but it varies customer to customer. The problems are always in the recordings. So if I use my Replaytv to record. I could still use the other pvr as a backup and dual tuner.

What do you think?

My Dtv reciever is 3 1/2 years old. But I rarely use the functionality of the 'reciever' just replaytv.

Is it possible to use a 522 with the replaytv, or should I just use a 322 with it?

It should work, but you might have issues with the screensavers that pop in when the receiver stays on overnight. (I've heard that people have to set a manual timer on these units to get around that)

Also, you ARE aware that you will get hit with an additional mandatory $4.98 DVR fee on the 522, whether you want the DVR features or not. The only way to avoid this fee is to take the everything pak, or NOT get a DVR unit.

As a fellow Replayer... 3 , I had 2 hd receivers connected one being the 921 to my replays as well as an sd D* none with serial, 2 with blasters , manual record from 921 to Replay or set timers...beware of the screen saver effect as stated above .. I had a 501 hooked to my Replay for a bit, pq really suffered...and since you are getting a non dvr no worries...:) and you get to keep poopli:)

Does Dish charge for a dual lnb unit the extra 5 bucks like the dvr?

ProSat2 said:
Not if you have the phone line installed.

LM

Um. No. He's asking about a dual LNB, not a dual-tuner receiver. There is no fee regardless of what type of LNB you have and the phone line has NOTHING to do with the LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)