New to FTA, looking for some pointers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cc17926

Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey guys,
I figure I could use some Monday morning humor.. So far, I would like to believe that I am extremely successful with how much progress I have made in setting up my 6' dish, despite the cold temps in my area. I own a polar mount dish, that I am temporarly setting up to to be stationary for the first go around (still gotta buy the actuator controller).
What I am trying to do is receive signal from AMC-11 at 131, the closest thing I am able to receive is Galaxy 15 at 133's TP 3720 H. So I figured to have the dish and LNB tweaked to peak, I made some adjustments, and then head back over to AMC-11 but to no avail, I do not receive it. So for laughs and giggles, I jumped back over to Galaxy 15 and did a blind scan, and I receive TP 3720 both as H and V, and pretty strong too! I do not receive any other TP's from that satellite either, so I am left a little confused on what I should do.
Thanks for any humor!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Logging the same transponder in Horizontal or Vertical could be the result of the type of equipment that you are using or the LNB(f) adjustment is incorrect.

You have a great group of Satellite Guys who will provide a ton of assistance if we know what equipment makes up your system. Brands and models would be great!

A lot of the channels on AMC11 C-Band are Digicipher channels, not DVB channels. Are you trying to tune in a DVB signal, or are you possibly trying to tune in a Digicipher channels? DVB receivers can't tune Digicipher signals. (Just something to check..)

My dish is Sadoun's 6' Polar Mount dish, I also use their DMX741 LNB which has capabilities for C and Ku, however for now, I am only using the C-band jack on it. My receiver is a Pansat 2500, with a newer (but not the newest) firmware, and I also have an old analog receiver that I wonder if it still works. My goal is to try and receive QVC in digital and C-SPAN in analog (if possible), then hopefully next week I could put some movement into dish by taking advantage of the actuator!
Thanks!

You don't mention how your receiver(s) are connected. Ie you mentioned a desire to receive analog channels. If, by chance, you have both receivers connected via a splitter, and are not using a DC-block, then the analog receiver will keep the LNB voltage at 18V, which will keep your lnbf in horizontal polarity, which will mean that your digital receiver will be scanning horizontal twice, since it can't drop the voltage to scan vertical channels.

If you just have the digital receiver connected, then I don't know.

You don't mention how your receiver(s) are connected. Ie you mentioned a desire to receive analog channels. If, by chance, you have both receivers connected via a splitter, and are not using a DC-block, then the analog receiver will keep the LNB voltage at 18V, which will keep your lnbf in horizontal polarity, which will mean that your digital receiver will be scanning horizontal twice, since it can't drop the voltage to scan vertical channels.

If you just have the digital receiver connected, then I don't know.

I have not connected the analog receiver, it will be connected using the IF out port on the pansat. when i want to watch something in H polarity, i will tune to a station on the pansat that is using H, same with V.

I wonder if my situation is coming from the skew on the lnb or the FD I currently have it set at..

Ok Well let me give this a shot....I'm not familiar with your receiver but if you know how to manually enter a TP (transponder) then lets try this. On 133w try 3817 H 3000 this is Classic Arts channel. Manually enter the transponder. Then scan that transponder or do another blind scan. Usually a good signal here in Ohio. Thats about it for 133w. If you get that one then try moving the dish to the east a very small amount---less than 1/4" probably, and raise the elevation about 2 degrees. If you have an inclinometer that will help with the elevation measurement. Then manually enter 3928 V 14320 as a TP on 131W. Scan that Transponder and hopefully that will get you QVC. QVC comes in strong here in Ohio as well. I had the same dish as a fixed dish until this past fall and I motorized it. For future reference....It took some effort to get it perfectly on the arc. My true south is roughly 87W. I was on 87W but moving the dish one way or the other on the pole 1/8" made a world of difference getting the upper sats. Best of luck and when you get the accuator on it and run into problems let us know. Blind:)
Welcome to Satellite Guys!

Hey Blind, Thanks for your suggestion, however I seem to still have little luck. I did notice through some LNB turning, I was able to receive the transponder for the Classic Arts Channel, and also I still receive the noted transponder in my first post. I do notice if I have the LNB connected to the receiver the current way, the TP on Galaxy 15 3720 will show up as H and V, however if i use the other port, it will only use the H, so I am not clear which way is accurately correct for this particular LNB.

I attempted to move the dish to receive the QVC feed on AMC11 and ended up moving way too far and picking up LCN on Galaxy 13 (TP 4076 H). I also picked up less than a handfull of TP's too.

Maybe if there was a strong TP on AMC11 I could use for alignment, that insight *may* help, but still, all in all, when i am aligned with a satellite, i only receive a few TP's.

I seem to be shooting in the dark here unfortunatly, so i figured taking a few pics of my setup to give a better idea of whats going.

If anything helps as far as alignment is concerned, im near Philly, PA.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• DSC00380.JPG
    DSC00380.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC00382.JPG
    DSC00382.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC00383.JPG
    DSC00383.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 193
Alright, an interesting method which i read and figured i would try is using the analog receiver to align the dish. Since CSPAN is on that satellite, i was able to align it in such a way that I am able to receive that channel, although, its i would say its quality is around (roughly) 80% with some snow in the picture. are there any tips on cleaning up the signal some more so the channel is 100% and receive all the digital transponders as well ?

I beleive if you manage to get an analog signal without sparkles (therefore obviously without snow) then the digital ones would be perfect. But do not quote me on it since I have never played with an analog receiver.

Now the V and H issue , a wild guess, make sure in the LNB or Antenna settings , LNB Power is in Auto or V/H or 13/18V instead of being fixed on just 18V or H polarity. Since you do not have another receiver connected like B.J said I can not think of something else.

Also looking at your LNB picture , it appears that you connected the coaxial to the wrong port. Just double check that one just in case. I beleive that LNBF has a 22 khz switch inside to select either Ku (22 Khz ON) or C band (22 Khz OFF)

cc, snow in analog picture could be lots of things. Improper elevation, east/west alignment off, skew isn't adjusted, focal distance wrong. Start with slightly pulling up on bottom of dish, and watch the picture for improvements.

CC, Remember that on any one of those satellites there's not much to watch. 135W Bloomberg, HSN, 133W Classic Arts, 131W QVC....just a couple on each of them. Lock on to one of the channels and try adjusting your LNB also. Slowly turn it left and then to the right to see if your signal increases. Also moving the Lnb in or out may improve things. I've been able to move the lnb in or out 1/8" and it made a world of difference. Basically a trial and error thing. If your looking for a bunch of channels to play around with try 121w. There's a bunch of them up there. Sportstime Ohio and Jewelry Tv usually come booming in here. A lot of it is just adjusting and tweaking a little at a time. Make sure you mark your settings with sharpie pen or similar marker, that way you can go back to the beginning if you mess up. Most of us have spent hours playing around trying to get that perfect signal. Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts