Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDugan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hi, nice forum.

I'm stupid to all this stuff.
From my condo I can see the sky from about 148 degrees and to the east.

What is there FTA that I might want?
What receiver and dish would I need? Where would I get it?

There are unique and interesting channels. A lot of foreign language stuff that I can't understand. News feeds on some sats.

You would need a minimum of 76 cm KU dish with a Horizon to Horizon dish motor (recommended) and a fta receiver.

The FTA receiver with Diseqc 1.2 or Usals will control the motor through the coax.

FTA does not replace mainstream cable or subscription tv. It is (in addition ) kind of thing.

It is a fun hobby.

Hi, nice forum.
I'm stupid to all this stuff.
From my condo I can see the sky from about 148 degrees and to the east.

Very nice to be a FTA'er on the East coast , if you truly have no line of sight issues you can get alot of neat channels.

What receiver and dish would I need? Where would I get it?

I like the 36 inch dish , best bang for the buck unless you can pickup something bigger for cheaper , several sponsors here have nice receivers at a good price , the Fortec Mercury II is recommended among others.

What is there FTA that I might want?

Well whenever I'm approached by a salesperson who asks "Can I help you" I usually don't say , help me find something I like.

Everyone is so different that what one person may like viewing may not be the other persons cup of tea.

Have you ever listened to Shortwave radio and been fascinated by it , if you liked it you might like FTA.

Do you like syndicated Clasic TV Shows like Get Smart , Mission Impossible , and Gomer Pyle to name a few ? If you do you might like FTA.

Do you like watching 1st run movies ?, ( yes you can find them from time to time , but shhhhhh ) If you do you might like FTA.

Do you think that you might like watching a news anchor doing something out of the ordinary that no regular viewer could see ?
Then you might like FTA.

That's just naming a few of the neat things available FTA.

examples

Here is a very simplified list of satellites, channels, and languages.

Here is a list of programming on just one favorite satellite.

Here are a couple of package deals on the required equipment from some of our sponsors.
(They're as good or better than anyone, very reliable, and we do buy a lot of equipment from them).
California, Ohio.

Hi, and welcome HDugan! If you stay with this great site, you will discover great tips and advices, good friends, and, well, keep on looking!!! I have been a FTA hobbist for nearly two years and I have three systems going, along with Directv and 4DTV. Recently bought a HDTV and looking forward to expanding my viewing experience!!!!

FTA TV compared to Paid Service TV is like:

A car that you own free and clear that you can customize and upgrade as you wish compared to a car that is leased (you can't do anything to it) except drive it and then send it back when the lease is up.

Both have advantages and you might want to have both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts