New to Satellite TV even newer to FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Combat Medic

Original poster
Hello fellow satellite hobbyists.

I am an Army Combat Veteran and College student. A friend from church got me a job about a month back training as a tech for DirecTV while i go to college. I would not call myself a pro by any means, But i have been on quite a few jobs and can go through the motions putting everything together. As such i have a garage full of old used Satellite dishes and LNBs from customers who wanted the old dish taken down.

I was drawn to FTA because i am a dual major, Studying both nursing and Arabic. I can read and comprehend most Arabic but all the Arabic channels on Galaxy 19 would add to my studies and improve my ability to comprehend different dialects.

I bought a Coolsat 5000 off of ebay for like 30 bucks and hooked up an old 18" dish with a dual LNB. All i was able to get was some french radio channel on Anik F2, but certainly not galaxy 19. I tried to clip a dual LNB on a slimline dish but it really was not the correct angle.

Now i am ready to stop messing around, what kind of dish and LNB is recommended for this?

Also the area i live has a rather large Iraqi population being a military town, lots of Arab immigrants have moved here. I know a few friends who would love me to install something like this for them, as DirecTV does not offer something like this. The sub-partner i work for would like me to be the ambassador to these potential customers.

Thank you so much for your time

Jonathan

I am an Army Combat Veteran and College student. A friend from church got me a job about a month back training as a tech for DirecTV while i go to college. I would not call myself a pro by any means, But i have been on quite a few jobs and can go through the motions putting everything together. As such i have a garage full of old used Satellite dishes and LNBs from customers who wanted the old dish taken down.

I was drawn to FTA because i am a dual major, Studying both nursing and Arabic. I can read and comprehend most Arabic but all the Arabic channels on Galaxy 19 would add to my studies and improve my ability to comprehend different dialects.

I bought a Coolsat 5000 off of ebay for like 30 bucks and hooked up an old 18" dish with a dual LNB. All i was able to get was some french radio channel on Anik F2, but certainly not galaxy 19. I tried to clip a dual LNB on a slimline dish but it really was not the correct angle.

Now i am ready to stop messing around, what kind of dish and LNB is recommended for this?

Also the area i live has a rather large Iraqi population being a military town, lots of Arab immigrants have moved here. I know a few friends who would love me to install something like this for them, as DirecTV does not offer something like this. The sub-partner i work for would like me to be the ambassador to these potential customers.

Thank you so much for your time

Jonathan

Short answer is a 36 inch offset dish with a SL1 lnb,both availabe from sat av sales top of the page!

Combat Medic said:
Thanks, I will be purchasing one shortly.

Might i ask why FTA requires a larger dish?

The FSS satellites transmit at a lower power than the DBS satellites (Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell) and a larger surface area is needed to collect enough signal to reflect into the LNBF.

The LNBFs are also different. FSS satellites transmit at a slightly lower frequency in the KU band and use linear polarity signals. DBS typically uses higher KU band frequencies and transmit circular polarized signals.

Since you are installing, you might already have or find a used international Dish Network, DirecTV or an old PrimeStar or satellite Internet dish that could be used without modification.

Last edited:

A friend from church got me a job about a month back training as a tech for DirecTV while i go to college. I would not call myself a pro by any means, But i have been on quite a few jobs and can go through the motions putting everything together.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

What type of meter do you have access to through DirecTV? If you have access to an Applied Instruments Super Buddy you can visit their site for lots of application notes and videos to assist you with not only DirecTV and DISH installations but also FTA, Wild Blue and Hughes Network and more.

Welcome to Applied Instruments

RADAR

409155_10150587413188755_508398754_11146463_460778373_n.jpgAnything can be done with these dishes?

Pics too dark too tell much, but one of those bigger ones , the wide-oval types could fit the bill. All depends on the model/type of lnbf they have on them. Some of them have a linear lnb built-in, I believe.

View attachment 73694Anything can be done with these dishes?

I, and others have had some results using that DirecTv Slimline dish (front center of your pic). Check out the links in posts #3 & 4 of this thread for more info on using that one:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/276668-dish-hunting.html

I'm thinking the bigger dish on the far left of your pic might be the cream of the crop you have there.

Please post a pic or 3 of that one (front and back), and let us know the measurements (top-to-bottom & side-to-side) of the reflector.

Also post the info that is on the LNBF. I'm guessing that the LNBF that is on there is not what you want for FTA, but if it has the mounting style that I think it does I have just what you need to make an FTA dish out of it (or the Slimline), and would be glad to send you one.

The Slimline dish in factory form can't be used for FTA, since it uses circular LNBFs that have special internal switching. However, you can remove the LNBF assembly on a Slimline and use a conduit clamp to hold a standard linear Ku-Band LNBF in its place. The Slimline is somewhat undersized for linear satellites, but will pick up the stronger transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts