new to this

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drcc

Original poster
May 21, 2006
sask, canada
hey everyone. just stopping in and saying hi.
been doing some reading and u guys know ur stuff. i will be recieving a coolsat 5000 by the end of the week. so i may have some questions to ask.
im from canada so it should be fun and exciting. EH!

thanks drcc

hi

i'm from canada too hey...lol...i bought a coolsat 5000 on thursday and it was down by friday.....anyone know of a new program to use on it....they told me it would autoroll but the program i have on it doesnt seem to be doing it...a friend bought his coolsat programmed and i had another friend program mine because it wasnt done when i bought it...any help out there for me...thanks alot

Hahaha. Another hacker gone!

And from what I am hearing within the next 2 weeks the only thing a Free To Air box will be good for is for FREE TO AIR!

Dish Network and ExpressVU have finaly figured out a way to shut down people hacking using Free To Air Receivers. Last week ExpressVu did some tests on this new technology and knocked out a bunch of channels from the hackers and I heard that this test went extremely well.

ExpressVu will continue rolling out this upgrade on a channel by channel basis and it is expected that Dish will start doing the upgrade later this week.

So if you purchased a CoolSat to watch Dish Network or ExpressVu, looks like you will be selling it soon on Ebay which is great for us folks who want to watch REAL FTA. There will be a wave of excellent FTA equipment available at dirt cheap prices. :)

I am looking forward to it.

That is great to hear. Now more people will be able to afford decent recievers to enjoy TRUE FTA.

ZAP, take that hackers :D

About fricken time. Should make for a lot of good equipment laying around at very reasonable prices.

SD

We have all heard it beofre but will be keeping my fingers (And toes) crossed! Would love to see them go UNDER!

Maybe they'll go down, but only for a short time I expect. The key is that this will not destroy the will of people who want to get subscription programming for free. There's hackers out there that are willing to get into anything that is supposed to be a totally secure system. They also know that people are willing to pay them big bucks and they also know that there's a big black market for stuff that can get stuff that isn't free for free. I hope you guys are right, but right now I'm kind of doubtful. Note: This post in no way supports those who hack FTA receivers. This was just a thought that crossed my mind and nothing more.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hahaha. Another hacker gone!
So if you purchased a CoolSat to watch Dish Network or ExpressVu, looks like you will be selling it soon on Ebay which is great for us folks who want to watch REAL FTA. There will be a wave of excellent FTA equipment available at dirt cheap prices. :)
Does that mean that hacked FTA receivers actually can have the hacks reversed, so they don't have the altered channel mappings and other "features" used only to steal programming? The only dish I have right now is for DirecTV (and getting THAT installed involved some dealing with the homeowner's association), so I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else. I confess that a small part of me would like the hacks to be irreversible, so the thieves can't get even a small part of their "investment" back on eBay... but the bigger part wants to see cheap equipment available for hobbyists.

(Forget I said anything if even this question isn't allowed -- I pay for my DirecTV subscription, don't have room for a second dish for legal OR illegal use even if I could get permission, and enjoy just reading about the extent to which people will go to avoid paying for programming. :)

I've never been that tempted to do something like change the software. Of course, it would probably be like changing your operating system with a different one. (Converting your system from WIN XP to LINUX)

As far as I know, you can reset recievers to factory software with no problems. Of course a lot of these thieves will lose money, because you cannot sell a used anything for the price of new. Plus, there will be a glut of recievers on the market, so they might literally get just a few dollars on what they spent. All the better for us :D

Folks this is not a place to discuss hacks or how they work, we just know that that hacked FTA receivers will be going down soon, and from what I am told most FTA boxes will never get the Dish or Bell stuff again due to changes which require more power from the receiver.

Let's keep it like that and watch the FTA prices fall on EBAY together. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts