New to Voom OTA Problems Please Help

onay

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Hayward, CA
I am a new Voom customer and a new member to this forum. :) I have been reading up a lot of very helpful posts from this site. I was hoping that I would be lucky enough to avoid the OTA problems other customers encountered. But no :(

I've had Voom for 2 weeks now, while the Voom side of the programming is excellent. I've been having nightmares with my OTA channels. I enjoy HD a lot and am really pulling for Voom to work. But not getting local channels is a real pain.

I have 3 receivers at home being served by a Winegard (which model I'm not sure of) roof antenna on a two story house. We are less than 20 miles from the Sutro Tower in San Francisco, the main feeder of the digital channels in our area. We have a clean shot of the tower from where were at.

On my first install, the guy who came in was only able to hook up 2 receivers, he said he needed a 'multiswitch' which he did not have with him at the time. At that point I was receiving several local channels on the 2 receivers he brought in. I was getting from what it appears 50% of the OTA channels I should be getting, per antennaweb. I was missing FOX and CBS. Let me say that part of the reason for switching to Voom was to get these 2 channels. I did not get them on HD via Comcast in our area.

The next guy who came out brought the multiswitch and activated the third box but from that point I lost most of the local channels, save for one ABC. :mad: And it was only coming in to one location. He said I have a problem with my antenna and that I need an antenna upgrade. He suggested that I call Voom and request for an antenna upgrade, which I did. Voom did put in a new work order.

On my next appointment, the guy said that an antenna upgrade was not in his work order. He was basically there to correct whatever problems I might be having. He tried adjusting my antenna but it did not help. He ended up calling Voom and telling them that I need an antenna upgrade, which of course I thought he was going to provide me in the first place. Voom asked the tech what kind of antenna I need. He suggested a Radio Shack antenna. And so this is where I'm at right now.

I've read a lot of people have success with the Channel Master 4228. I suggested this one to the installer, but he said that Radio Shack is better. I'm tempted to just go ahead and finish the installation myself, maybe pick up the CM 4228. What should I do? I'm afraid that the Radio Shack antenna might not work properly and I would be back in the same predicament again.

I'm hoping that the next time they come out will be the last one, otherwise I don't think I can afford to miss more time off work. The wife is also starting to get annoyed that she is not able to watch her shows on the local channels.

I appreciate any advise or help you may provide. Thanks!

Onay,

welcome to the forum. It sounds that once the multiswitch was connected you lost OTA channels. This leads me to believe that there is a setup problem with your installation and multiswitch. An upgrade antenna may or may not help receiving the OTA channels until the setup problem is corrected.

Do the following:

1 - get me more infomation how you are setup (take pictures if possible of the multiswitch and the connections). Someone had a similar problem with a multiswitch and posted their experience and some pictures. You may want to read this thread as well: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=31845&page=1&pp=15&highlight=multiswitch

2 - Give us all the details of your setup and pictures.

unlug the multiswitch and connect your antenna directly to the back of the voom receiver (if you have a seperate cable), If you get the stations THEN you can say its the multiswitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)