New user...have some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WilliamD

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Good Morning.

I've been reading as much of the info on these forums as possible, reviews advice etc.. I have just purchased a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra w/DP9 Data Cable and 4X1 Switch. (I understand the DB9 cable, but how often would I need to update the firmware in the receiver, if at all? And what is the use of the 4x1 Switch?) A Winegard DS2076 dish with a .4dB LNBF and a SG2100 DiSEqC 1.2 MOTORIZED H-H Mount. All of this based on the research all of you have provided.

Hvala puno!

The last piece of equipment I need is the RG6 cable. I work some with data cabling CAT5 etc. and have seen a wide difference in cable quality. Any suggestions on a brand of cable? Should I buy cable that has the ends installed or try to terminate them myself? Also, is there any other equipment I need to consider since I am going to do the install myself? You guys are a wealth of information and support.!!! I'm sure I will be back to ask more questions.

install

> what is the use of the 4x1 Switch?

with a single LNB you do not need the switch to my knowledge.

if you added another LNB (say one from DSS) you would need a switch but only use two of the four ports available.

>Also, is there any other equipment I need to consider since I am going to do >the install myself?

maybe a satfinder signal meter like the SF95.
(note only works on a standard KU LNB)
some grounding hardware - ground block.
something to seal outdoor connections from weather.
oh yeah a compass

Welcome to the FTA area of Satelliteguys.US, about all I can add to the above is about the firmware....hopefully it will be quite sometime before you would ever have to use it. Every now and then they upgrade the software to take out bugs and to add a feature or two, but the Fortec Lifetime Ultra is working well right now so you may never have to use it at all, good luck with the install!

The latest firmware for the Fortec Lifetime Ultra is reason enough to upgrade! Now supports beginning and ending frequency blind searches. Cuts blind search time in less than half if you are using an universal LNBF on 11.7 to 12.2 US satellites!!!!

fataf said:
maybe a satfinder signal meter like the SF95.
(note only works on a standard KU LNB)
Hi fataf, I was thinking I used the SF95 on a circular lnb before to catch 119W. My memory could serve me wrong, but I think I did.
SF95 DSS / DBS / DVB Satellite Signal Meter - Finder

The SF95 works with DSS DirecTV, Dish Network, ExpressVu, DirecWay, Starband, FTA MPEG2 / DVB receivers, plus other digital or KU band satellite signals.

thanks

I was thinking I used the SF95 on a circular lnb before to catch 119W. My memory could serve me wrong, but I think I did.

yes I am sure you did.
should have stated clearer as not working with a universal KU LNB versus a standard KU LNB

A SF-95 works great with DTV/Dish network LNBFs. That is what I user to do most of my messing around until I find more time and better weather. 119W Dish network has a lot of music to offer. I am going to try it in my car soon to see how well it might work?

PipeDream said:
Hi fataf, I was thinking I used the SF95 on a circular lnb before to catch 119W. My memory could serve me wrong, but I think I did.

cable

If you are looking for what kind of coax, I would recommend quad-shield RG6 if you can get it. I do cable everyday and that is what I use.. Prewired my whole house with it too. :) Helps keep any interference out of your line. If you are really anal about signal loss, like I am, get your hands on RG11. It can be hard to work with, but that is the best in my opinion. That is what I ran underground out to the post from the ground block, although my dish sits away from the house a bit to clear a tree. Most would say that it is overkill, and it is, but it is the best.

Great !!! Thanks All. I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive and going to hunt down the cable over the weekend. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.