New user - Need some help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alexious

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Hello people,i know 0 about satellites etc..but i know that the knowledge is in forums like these! Anyway,i dont know what exactly the technicians installed today but heres what it says on the receipt.

Item Code Description
LH850 SINUTA ANTENNA 85CM LH
5750 SHARP LNBF 0.4DB LOW NOISE
SUPTE50MM SINUTA G/BASE 3 FEET
FTA9201 ATLANTA DIG RECEIVER FTA

They added a "channel pack" but its useless..Now i cant help the feeling that i got majorly ripped off.And im gonna get alot more ripped off if i ask them to add me some more channels.I live in europe (i know this forum is an american one but it was the biggest i could find),and i can only receive 79channels(atleast these are in the chan menu).Now i know theres some way to add alot of channels for free.Question is how?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ive been searching around the net and got some info..i understand what astra/hotbird and all those where in the menu now(yup i was a total noob..now im like 99% noob).As i know what FTA stands for etc.Question is,how do i watch channels from astra/hotbird..seems like my reveiver/dish is set to arabsat2_3a(not my choice as you can see),anyway to add more channels without erasing those?

welcome to satellite guys. be sure to visit often.

you should post this in the mpeg2 or cband section. you will get a faster answer there. those people have a lot of knowledge.

a moderator should move this if he sees it.

I dont like double posting a thread but might aswell do it.Good thing i read a bit..i discovered they would be ripping me off BIGTIME.

Hello Alexious,
I come from Europe, Glasgow Scotland to be exact. Welcome to the SatelliteGuys FTA forum!

We don't know that much about FTA satellite packages from Europe but if you manage to get things sorted out please keep in touch and let us know what is available from your system.There should be a way for you to re-scan the satellite/s for new channels but I would call the installer and ask them to run through it with you.
When I lived in the UK there were hundreds of channels available FTA on the Astra and Hotbird satellites, but that was both analog and digital at the time.
Where are you in Europe? All the best!

Hi! I live in cyprus..not much of europe but anw.I had a totally different idea about how sats work etc,anyway back to the subject.What i do know is that we payed about $400 and none of the channels are of my interest(arab :p).My mom called them but and asked if they can "add" european channels and they said it would cost $260.Now my bs detector is pretty high tech :p.Bad news are that my mom wont let me experiment with the receiver software etc so i dont "erase" her channels or whatever.What i did find out is that my reveiver has a viaaccess card or something(no idea what to do with it though).Lyngsat gives me this menu though now that i have noticed
Frequencies (cy)
• Hellas Sat 2
• Hot Bird 3
• Sirius 2
• Hot Bird 6
• Express AM 22

Packages (cy)
• Nova
• Digital + (Astra)
• TPS
• Sky Italia

Free TV (cy)
• Greece
• Cyprus
• Russia
• United Kingdom

(again i dont know what to do with it)..Well im lost and confused :p

I would not touch the software as you could end up with no channels, I would read up as much as you can on what satellites channels are FTA and I am sure you will be able to get a lot of the Euro FTA packages, lyngsat is a great place to learn, the below link may help but you may not need it. I have also included a link to a European FTA forum where you may get some more info. Good Luck, and let us know how you get on!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Maybe you misunderstood..i meant messing with the software as "adding channels".I mean ..how am i supposed to add channels?.From what i gather my dish should be 1m (3feet) and im getting arabsat2_3a which is Ku band according to lyngsat(who would known i would be learning all this stuff :p).On lyngsat under Europe/Frequencies i found

28.2°E
Eurobird 1 050130
Astra 2A 050129
Astra 2B 050129
Astra 2D 050131
26.0°E
Arabsat 2C 050124
Arabsat 3A 050131
Arabsat 2D 050128
23.5°E
Astra 1D 050115
Astra 3A 050120
21.6°E Eutelsat W6

This means i could get sats in the 2-3° range(seeing the one that works is in the middle)?

Edit:Ive added Hotbird1_2_3 and went into the configurations,it showed a 53% signal strength.Now question is,will scanning for new channels affect what i have currently stored? I know this varies from receiver to receiver but the manual doesnt seem to cover this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts