New VIP211K with DVR Questions

Biomed

Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Florida's west coast
First of all, I searched, looked through the 100+ pages of DVR stickies, and was completely overwhelmed. I apologize because I know this has been addressed before but I'll be darned if I can find it! So I ask for this forums wisdom on this subject!

Just updated to HD. (owned & self installed)

VIP211k, great HD! WOW

Added DVR to the receiver, 160G WD. Records fine.

Question 1. Hard Drive does not shut off (sleep) when receiver is powered off (lights on all the time and HD spinning), why?

Question 2. After I unplug the power to the HD, the receiver has to reload to recognize the HD. Is this normal?

Question 3. If I can't change the above, is there a better HD for this purpose?

If Someone could point me to a good thread that would be cool too!

Thanks!

1. Dish receivers do not actually power off, they only go into standby, so the hard drive is still buffering video even while the receiver is in standby.

2. The OS for EHD function is all contained on the EHD, so if you power it off the receiver must reboot to switch back to non-DVR mode, then when you reconnect, it must reboot again to load the EHD operating system from the EHD.

Leave both of them on 24/7/365, I have a 250 GB EHD on my 211 that has been running non stop since the EHD functionality was introduced.

Yes, it is hard on the drive, but like internal drives on other Dish DVRs, they run as long as the plug in in the wall.

The 211 OS has a setting to disconnect your EHD. If you want to turn the EHD off, you MUST use this to avoid corrupting your hard drive data. Believe me I learned it the hard way, on the first day I had to reformat the drive 3 times before I (hard headedly) learned that this EHD is NOT plug and play.

1. Dish receivers do not actually power off, they only go into standby, so the hard drive is still buffering video even while the receiver is in standby.

2. The OS for EHD function is all contained on the EHD, so if you power it off the receiver must reboot to switch back to non-DVR mode, then when you reconnect, it must reboot again to load the EHD operating system from the EHD.

Leave both of them on 24/7/365, I have a 250 GB EHD on my 211 that has been running non stop since the EHD functionality was introduced.

Yes, it is hard on the drive, but like internal drives on other Dish DVRs, they run as long as the plug in in the wall.

The 211 OS has a setting to disconnect your EHD. If you want to turn the EHD off, you MUST use this to avoid corrupting your hard drive data. Believe me I learned it the hard way, on the first day I had to reformat the drive 3 times before I (hard headedly) learned that this EHD is NOT plug and play.

Great to know info since I haven't been able to find this info anywhere else! Are the DRV instructions for this option posted anywhere? I surely don't want to ruin a Hard Drive!

Thanks So Much!!

I need to know from someone who has this 211 or 211k with a EHD , can you watch 1 show while recording another? It seems like you can't but I need to know for sure.

You can watch a previously recorded program while recording another, but you can't watch a live program while recording another as it only has one tuner.

The only exception is if you have an external antenna wired to the receiver. (with the "k" series you will need to have purchased the OTA module. The 211 has the module built in)

In that case you can record/watch the antenna feed while you watch/record the OTA feed

The only exception is if you have an external antenna wired to the receiver. (with the "k" series you will need to have purchased the OTA module. The 211 has the module built in)

In that case you can record/watch the antenna feed while you watch/record the OTA feed
Correcting my previous posting. what I meant to say was:

"In that case you can record/watch the sat feed while you watch/record the OTA feed."

Is this a one-time setting? Yikes! Glad I know this if I activate my EHD on the 211, and turn in my 722K.

I have a 211k and it has an OTA tuner on it. I can record OTA and Sat while watching a recorded show. I've also powered it all (tuner and hd) off without corrupting the hd. I just installed another one in the house. I haven't tried it yet, but you're supposed to be able to swap hd's if you want.

I have a 211K. I have recorded two programs (OTA and Dish) while watching a 3rd. The only difference between it and my 722 (other than the second Dish receiver) is it seems a little more sluggish than the 722.

I plan on turning in my 522 and replacing it with a 211 and EHD when my prices increase.

:eek::eek:OH MY GOD :eek::eek:

I am so happy that I saw & read this post today. We have a 211K and I added an EHD several months ago. It worked - AT FIRST - then it quit and I had to constantly reboot to get it to work and then - NOTHING.

I was even on chat w/Dish Tech. They could not get it to work, even w/hits to the receiver.

Today, I went into menu and found that EHD activation button. WOW. The EHD came to life immediately as I paused the current program, etc...

Thanks so much SAT GUYS :up:up:up

I just activated the EHD on my 211K and it says I have a little more than 23 hours of HD recording and 94 hours SD. The EHD is a 250g drive. My 612 says I have about 30 hours HD and about 200 hours SD. I thought I read it was a 250g drive. Why the difference?

I just activated the EHD on my 211K and it says I have a little more than 23 hours of HD recording and 94 hours SD. The EHD is a 250g drive. My 612 says I have about 30 hours HD and about 200 hours SD. I thought I read it was a 250g drive. Why the difference?
612 has a 320 GB HD.

I have a 211k and it has an OTA tuner on it. I can record OTA and Sat while watching a recorded show. I've also powered it all (tuner and hd) off without corrupting the hd. I just installed another one in the house. I haven't tried it yet, but you're supposed to be able to swap hd's if you want.

I have a 211 and a 211k and I have swapped drives back and forth without any problems.

I have a 211 and a 211k and I have swapped drives back and forth without any problems.
I have a question for those swapping hard drives between receivers. If you have any recording scheduled does that stay with the receiver or the hard drive?

In other words, if I replace the EHD on my receiver will I need to reenter all my schedules or are they stored in the receiver so that the new EHD will pick up where the old one left off.

I have a question for those swapping hard drives between receivers. If you have any recording scheduled does that stay with the receiver or the hard drive?

In other words, if I replace the EHD on my receiver will I need to reenter all my schedules or are they stored in the receiver so that the new EHD will pick up where the old one left off.

That's a good question. I seem to remember that the schedule remains with the receiver.