New VOOM Lease Program is not fair to early Subs (1 Viewer)

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
I spent $749 +199 = $948 + Tax in two receivers, dish and antenna.

Now new subs have a $0 down payment and leasing the equipment for $10/mth. Even with the $300 I got back and the free programming since 11/22/03,

948 - 300 = 648 total plus credit given

648 -320 = $328 (320) is 4 months x 80

This means that I still come out losing $328 with this new lease program. Again, I am trying to put the 4 months that I was given as free programming. Yet I haven't seen the entire programming of 39 HD channels. So all in all this new lease program with $0 downpayment is good for new subs but it sucks for early subs.

I rather have the option to revert to lease now and start paying now and my $948 be credited towards future programming. Let me know where I am wrong, I am trying to get into the lease program and get my $948 credited to future programming.
 

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
16,561
338
Western WV
I saw that in the literature a while back before Voom started selling service and have been wondering about it since, knowing that if I would have even considered the service that I would wait until the lease would become available. Sounds like PrimeStar all over again, owned by the cable company, a lease available, expensive hardware.

What are they going to cover under the lease and is there going to be a charge for the installation with the lease program? Is there a contract to keep it for a period of time such as a year with this lease program?
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
Stargazer,

$0 for equipment, no contract,...Equipment includes everything that early adopters got. Receiver, dish, antenna, pre-amplifier, etc. There will be a fee per receiver (like dish or D*) and the total premium per month is now $80.
 

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
903
0
Its going to be $9.90 for each receiver under the lease. Then there is a $5 mirror fee for each receiver. The first receiver on the lease does not carry a mirror fee just like thether DBS companies.
 

Geno

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 28, 2003
117
0
I think the $5 mirror is charged only once for up to 6 receivers.
 

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
903
0
Thats only for early adopters who signed up before 2-19-04. Anyone after has to pay a $5 per box mirror fee.
 

APone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 4, 2003
32
0
Sean Mota said:
Now new subs have a $0 down payment and leasing the equipment for $10/mth. Even with the $300 I got back and the free programming since 11/22/03,

948 - 300 = 648 total plus credit given

648 -320 = $328 (320) is 4 months x 80
What this $300 that you received back? I'm a early subscriber and was wondering if this is available.
 

APone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 4, 2003
32
0
Duh, if I'd check my email once in awhile I would have see it. :rolleyes: Received the email on Friday. Sorry.....
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
The two VOOM opions -- buy or lease.

Since early adopters all bought equipment by default we ended up in the buy option. This is why we got $300 back in future credit programming. This put us in the same level plan as someone who would buy the system tomorrow. I think we come out better because we still get free programming until 3/31/04.

How about the lease plan? Are we in the same level field as new subs or do we come ahead? My answer - neither.

This is what I know and it is subject to change. If we, early adopters, want to change to the lease plan, we have to deinstall, get our money refunded, and then re-install. Here is were it gets funny. Voom will have to make an appointment to come to your house and deinstall. The appointment might take more than two weeks (given that they will receiving more volume of installation). I for one can only deinstall/install on Saturdays. Then two weeks for VOOM to put in their system that your equipment was received and you should be due for a refund (I do not know that it will take them two weeks but it takes E* this amount time to deactivate accounts). Now that your account is deactivated, call again and get the lease program. Again two weeks to get an appointment and get reinstall (if you are lucky). So we are talking about six weeks to do all of this. I know I made a lot of assumptions here but this is the bad scenario that we early adopters have to face if we want to convert to the lease program. This all assumes that everything goes smoothly and you know someone at one point or another will make a mistake and delay this whole process even more.

Why convert to the Lease Program?

First, I believe that if I had this option from the beginning, I would have done it without thinking. It does not pay to buy first generation receivers that will depreciate very soon. First the DVR is a better receiver that will come out in the summer. You can use this money to get the DVR instead. This receiver does not compare, in features, to other HD receivers out there. There are a lot of features that are lacking and it is not worth to buy it in my opinion.

Second, if VOOM (for some reason unknown to me now) goes and sells or goes bankcrupt, you have invested nothing on the hardware so you lose nothing.

Third, what happens to your receiver once the two year guaranteed are over? if something happens to that receiver, you will need to buy another. At least in the lease program, you will be protected and get a replacement whether the two years expire or not.

This is my rant about this lease plan which it is great for new subs but not for early subs. If this is the case, I will stay with VOOM until the free programing ends, cancel, get refunded and re-install. Yes, it might take over a month to get everything back but a least I will have the money in hands and decide what will be the best option of hardware investment.

Of course, it will be just very easy for early subs if VOOM can do the convertion without going through the hassle of deinstallation/re-installation. Nothing against VOOM here. They had to make a decision about the new policy and they did what was the best business plan but there's a loophole which was not covered - an option for early adopters to get out of the buy program and get into the lease program.

Any thoughs?
 

subdude212

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 31, 2003
269
0
MA
When I add it all up I believe that I will also run the clock as far as I can and then request a de-install. I'll switch to the lease program and request a re-install.

Figuring that the logic is sound and that VOOM has people thinking good business thoughts I would expect that they would come out with a conversion option for early subscribers.
 

rudolpht

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
587
0
What is the current date to run it out. My account on the website still shows the 29th date and hasn't been updated with two generations of increasingly good news.
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,040
1,738
New York City
rudolpht said:
What is the current date to run it out. My account on the website still shows the 29th date and hasn't been updated with two generations of increasingly good news.

My account also states the 29th but I am sure the free programming ends 3/31/04 and money back guarantee ends 4/30/04 as it was stated before. In my opinion, 3/31/04 is the date (unless other changes happen) when I will need to do this.
 

dishdtv

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 8, 2004
16
0
Sean,
I think you forgot about the $199 installation and activation fee (which is waived at this time but could be implemented before the end of the MBG).
I could be wrong on this but I think that us early adopters also get a free plus pack ($14.90/mo.) with the basic package ($49.90/mo after 3/31) until the end of 2004. That is worth 9*$14.90=$134.10.
My investment in equipment: $750-$300=$450.
Potential cost of switching to lease program: $199+$134.10=$331.10.
At the end of 2004 I would be $450-$331.10=$118.90 ahead on the lease program but I wouldn't own the equipment.
If I think the equipment would be worth $118.90 at the end of 2004 I guess it would be worth staying where I'm at.
Of course all of this can change depending on the amount of plus packs you want, VOOM policy changes, etc.
I think it is still far too early to make any decision.

In any case none of us early adopters have anything to complain about since we will have been enjoying the service for absolutely nothing (barring bankrupcy which I think is highly unlikely considering the deep pockets) until the end of the MBG. Try that with D* or E* or even 4DTV or DVB.
For anyone that thinks VOOM has been unfair to the early adopters, consider that we still have all of the options of new subscribers, we have had more HDTV available than any other service for free, and we can still get our money back. All that we are really out is perhaps some time for the install.
We are all winners. Even Mel.


Sean Mota said:
The two VOOM opions -- buy or lease.

Since early adopters all bought equipment by default we ended up in the buy option. This is why we got $300 back in future credit programming. This put us in the same level plan as someone who would buy the system tomorrow. I think we come out better because we still get free programming until 3/31/04.

How about the lease plan? Are we in the same level field as new subs or do we come ahead? My answer - neither.

This is what I know and it is subject to change. If we, early adopters, want to change to the lease plan, we have to deinstall, get our money refunded, and then re-install. Here is were it gets funny. Voom will have to make an appointment to come to your house and deinstall. The appointment might take more than two weeks (given that they will receiving more volume of installation). I for one can only deinstall/install on Saturdays. Then two weeks for VOOM to put in their system that your equipment was received and you should be due for a refund (I do not know that it will take them two weeks but it takes E* this amount time to deactivate accounts). Now that your account is deactivated, call again and get the lease program. Again two weeks to get an appointment and get reinstall (if you are lucky). So we are talking about six weeks to do all of this. I know I made a lot of assumptions here but this is the bad scenario that we early adopters have to face if we want to convert to the lease program. This all assumes that everything goes smoothly and you know someone at one point or another will make a mistake and delay this whole process even more.

Why convert to the Lease Program?

First, I believe that if I had this option from the beginning, I would have done it without thinking. It does not pay to buy first generation receivers that will depreciate very soon. First the DVR is a better receiver that will come out in the summer. You can use this money to get the DVR instead. This receiver does not compare, in features, to other HD receivers out there. There are a lot of features that are lacking and it is not worth to buy it in my opinion.

Second, if VOOM (for some reason unknown to me now) goes and sells or goes bankcrupt, you have invested nothing on the hardware so you lose nothing.

Third, what happens to your receiver once the two year guaranteed are over? if something happens to that receiver, you will need to buy another. At least in the lease program, you will be protected and get a replacement whether the two years expire or not.

This is my rant about this lease plan which it is great for new subs but not for early subs. If this is the case, I will stay with VOOM until the free programing ends, cancel, get refunded and re-install. Yes, it might take over a month to get everything back but a least I will have the money in hands and decide what will be the best option of hardware investment.

Of course, it will be just very easy for early subs if VOOM can do the convertion without going through the hassle of deinstallation/re-installation. Nothing against VOOM here. They had to make a decision about the new policy and they did what was the best business plan but there's a loophole which was not covered - an option for early adopters to get out of the buy program and get into the lease program.

Any thoughs?
 

deeann

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2004
299
0
CA
It's the lease plan that's gotten my interest and so now I'm taking a second look. I'm not super-happy about cropping on the Voom exclusive channels, but I'm still thinking about making the switch.

I am glad you guys who went in early are getting credit back, I took that into consideration too as I wouldn't want to sign up with a company that would entirely shaft their early subscribers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top