New VOOM Offer: $199 installation starting 6/1/04

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
This was recently posted at AVSForum:

"I was told this by dealer here in South Florida and confirmed by the Voom Rep that took my order today"

Voom after the May31st promo is over:

"They are licensing Dealers right now, I was able to get my Sat dealer to do my install next week because she already has her agreement with Voom. That is the good news now for the bad.

Starting June 1 you are going to have to sign a 2 year agreement to get the equipment at $9.95 mo. confirmed by Voom rep today. That is how all the new local dealers are going to make there money."

So will current subs. be signing this contract when the new dish comes out? Ibet we do.

cyuhnke said:
So will current subs. be signing this contract when the new dish comes out? Ibet we do.
I don't think so. A lot of subs will be reluctant to simply accept a larger dish. So putting a contract on top of that will almost be suicidal.
I think the new deal will only apply to new subs (after May 31st).

Voom after 5/31

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, but it was said on AVS that in a Voom mailer installation is going to be $199 after May 31st. Can anyone verify this? If I were thinking about Voom I'd get it soon!

Sean commented:
> This is the type of promo that can ultimately bring subs to VOOM. <

I don't understand this statement. It seems to me that it would be more likely to inhibit subs. I.e., if I've never tried Voom, I'm certainly not going to commit to a 2-year, minimum $1200 expenditure, just to get the equipment for $9.95/month. Nor am I going to lay out $499 up front for a receiver. More likely is that I won't bother trying Voom at all.

What am I missing?

- Tim

VideoGrabber said:
Sean commented:
> This is the type of promo that can ultimately bring subs to VOOM. <

I don't understand this statement. It seems to me that it would be more likely to inhibit subs. I.e., if I've never tried Voom, I'm certainly not going to commit to a 2-year, minimum $1200 expenditure, just to get the equipment for $9.95/month. Nor am I going to lay out $499 up front for a receiver. More likely is that I won't bother trying Voom at all.

What am I missing?

- Tim

You are not missing anything, this is a really dumb idea. The only reason I am trying Voom is the No commit. If there had been a commit, NO way in hell I would have tried Voom.

I don't understand this statement. It seems to me that it would be more likely to inhibit subs. I.e., if I've never tried Voom
DirecTV requires a one-year commitment standard. Voom will never survive without a commitment; it's necessary to reduce churn.

I believe a two-year commitment was mentioned in another thread for the $500 rebate on a HDTV television purchase. I will be very surprised if VOOM requires a two-year commitment as standard for all new lease customers, without any significant new incentive. I think a one-year commitment would be more reasonable for a free install with lease, with paid install as an option for those customers that want no commitment.

I agree dumb idea. I would never commit for 2 years. Directv pulled that on me. When I upgraded my equipment to HD (new dish and receiver) I had to renew my 1 year agreement. I was with them 3 years and then cancelled (2 months early). I got a notice saying I owed $50 for early cancellation. What a joke!!!!

Hey maybe if VOOm gives me a new dish with a couple of new HD ch's like INHD or HDNET ...if it makes them better, I would commit for a one year contract. Hell, Im not going anywhere. Im commited to VOOM because of ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD being thrown into the base package. Directv charges for these ch's and VOOM did a great thing by adding them without increasing the base package. Im sure that wont be the end of them adding ch's...they have me for whatever contract they want.

I chose to go with Voom and cancelled my Dish and Directv subscriptions. I plan to stay with Voom. I actually like the remote (other than not returning to the watched channel in the guide but that's a software problem). I find the quality of the hd picture as good as I have ever had with all my other services, and the choice of hd channels is unsurpassed. I have not had any problems (lockups et al) since the earlier days of software upgrades.

I am not afraid of commitment and do not see any downside to it. I have to get my hd programming from somewhere and Voom is as good as or, actually, better than the others for my needs.

There is no longer any need for me to play the satellite service jump game or to keep multiple sat providers (other than my need for BEV for networks) as Voom has all the hd I need and keps adding more.

I am with Voom until I either can't see any more or if they fold in which case a multi year commitment is meaningless.

Shelly

2 year commitment

I love the no commitment thing Voom has but they take a huge risk by offering it. Turnover rates will be much higher with a no commitment offer and I don't think the new stockholders will go for that one. I think Voom should offer either a tiered programming cost where you get the lowest rate with a longer committment, or discounted/free equipment with a longer commitment. This way everybody wins, those who are unsure pay a little more to try it out and are not locked in. Thoise who like the network make a commitment and pay less. I just hope Voom will offer some sort of deal like this on the new DVR! Just my $.02.

I do not know why everyone is saying VOOM has to do the 2 year commit... You remember Dish now gives lease on equipment $5/month DHA with no commit, no money down, etc... With Dish you get 4 TV (2 two tuner boxes) with a 2 TV DVR. Yes I know it is not HDTV, but the point is that others in the business are doing it without a commit.

If they force a commitment they are dead. I have 4 friends in my neighborhood that are very interested, but I'm not going to push them into a 2 year commitment. You have to like their programming to make the extra HD worth it and it is still a bit repetitive for some. If they want to hook people, hook them with quality service and programming (which they are doing a good job at, they're learning). My wife never would have let me try this service if I had to get forced into a contract. I think benevolence will pay off. I would rather have the carrot than the stick approach.

I'd rather Voom succeed, than not.

I don't see anything unreasonable with a 2 year committment for people who are leasing the equipment. If they turn it in early, then they pay an early termination penalty which allows Voom to recoop the installation cost.

As of now, most of the progamming is in place and the equipment is for the most part stable. If you don't like what you see, why should Voom take a chance on you?

If voom required a two-year commitment when I signed up - I wouldn't have signed up. Right now, I can't ever imagine not having voom and their exclusive channels (especially WorlsportHD) - but I woudn't have known that before I signed up.

One year and I would have considered it - but probably still passed. I would have gone with a more established company like Dish or Directv.

I got the promotional letter and it states that after 5/31/04 installation is $199. No mentioning of any commitment.

just got installed today and now i have no signal great

just got installed today and now i have no signal great

so if u UNINSTALL after may do u have to pay for the uninstallation?? cause i dont plan to keep voom. after nba finals voom = out the door.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)