New VOOM Offer: $199 installation starting 6/1/04

The basic package on Voom costs more on Voom than Dish or Direct.
Total Choice from DirecTV is $39.99/mo. They charge an additional $10.99/mo for their HDTV package. If VOOM increases their basic package from $39.90 to $49.90, they will be comparably priced to DirecTV, but with more HD channels and less SD channels.

Just called again to see if I could get a better CSR.
No, still the same answer. They will charge $199+$10/month. I told them the cable was already installed to the room and all we had to do was plug it in. They said too bad, still $200 and an installer for a second unit.

Well GUESS WHAT VOOM? I am not going to do this.

VOOM, YOU SHOULD NOT CONTINUE TO AGGRIVATE YOUR CLIENTS!

Obviously, quite stupid management.

Perhaps that extra $10 is to cover the costs of adding more "basic" HD channels like TNT-HD, HDNet, INHD, etc. Maybe their negotiations ended up with them paying more than they'd originally planned for with the $39.90 price.

Hopefully soon we'll be seeing some new HD channel additions to the service along with some new content on the Voom exclusive channels.

Just a thought...

Regarding the extra $200 installation fee(s), that's why I'm doing it this way:

I currently have 4 Dish receivers... I had wanted to initially install 2 VOOM receivers. Based on the free installation and the inability to simply add additional receivers at the $10/month/receiver price, I'm having VOOM install all 4 receivers up front.

If I don't think things are optimal, I can return the two receivers and cut the 2 x $10 fee from my bill (and the 2 x $5 for the connection/jack charge). If things really don't work out, I deinstall VOOM and retain my Dish connectivity.

Karl said:
Voom is starting to look more like Doomed to me, They charge for the equipment which both Dish and Direct give for free, they want to charge for installs which both Dish and Direct give for free. The basic package on Voom costs more on Voom than Dish or Direct. And the line up is spotty to say the best on the SD side

Try selling that to Joe Sixpack and his Hippo wife.

Even though both Dish and Direct actually do charge for HD equipment, the average consumer will not factor that in and will not go for it. Especially since Voom's only outlet is the useless sales crew at Sears. My local Sears knew nothing about it and didn't even have it working.
Since when can I get a D* HD reciever for free? they want 300 bucks.

vurbano said:
Since when can I get a D* HD reciever for free? they want 300 bucks.

Again , re-read my post.

I didn't say DirecTV Or Dish Give a HD box for Free..!!!!

Look at the last paragraph. Most people don't read details. You and Cyuhnke are examples of this. In my post I pointed out that most people will not distinguish between the free equipment from D and E , as opposed to the monthly fee or purchase price from Voom. Also look at this; Joe Sixpack see's a $5 month mirror fee on D and E against $15 on Voom ( $5 Mirror, $10 Extra Box Rental). E even has a deal where you don't pay the mirror fee if you keep the box's hooked to a phone line.

Remember, most people are not like people here on this board, they weigh price before quality. They judge on perception and not on reality.

My point is not to attack Voom or you guys. My point is that Voom are going in the wrong direction. I made this same point to DirecTV in a Vendor seminar they had years ago when they also charged for equipment. They really took off once they started to give the equipment for free.

And no flames, I am not suggesting they listened to me. This was over six years ago. It was a long time after that that they went to the free concept.

Ken F said:
Total Choice from DirecTV is $39.99/mo. They charge an additional $10.99/mo for their HDTV package. If VOOM increases their basic package from $39.90 to $49.90, they will be comparably priced to DirecTV, but with more HD channels and less SD channels.

Do Voom have HDnet. No, I would trade you all the Voom exclusive for HDnet. On the SD side, Voom just does not come within a mile of D*. And don't even try to say they do by excluding channels you don't like. Right now D* have a deal for $30 bucks for six months, makes it a $1 difference with Voom. Try telling a customer its worth paying more for movies they won't watch.

Voom ads should say 10 hd channels of the worst "b" movies of all time.

Ok that last was sarcastic.

Karl said:
Voom is starting to look more like Doomed to me, They charge for the equipment which both Dish and Direct give for free, they want to charge for installs which both Dish and Direct give for free. The basic package on Voom costs more on Voom than Dish or Direct. And the line up is spotty to say the best on the SD side

Try selling that to Joe Sixpack and his Hippo wife.

Forgive the impertinence of this humble simpleton, but you clearly state that D* and E* give free installs and equipment. This is only true of E*.

Even though both Dish and Direct actually do charge for HD equipment, the average consumer will not factor that in and will not go for it. Especially since Voom's only outlet is the useless sales crew at Sears. My local Sears knew nothing about it and didn't even have it working.

Yes, I see that you here say that D* and E* both charge for their equipment. Again, that is only true of D*.

As to these details that I am supposedly ill-equipped mentally to comprehend, neither are entirely true.

Now, I agree with you that Voom's new strategy is flawed. I just wish you could have humbled the slow-witted so we too could have appreciated your genius.

cyuhnke said:
Forgive the impertinence of this humble simpleton, but you clearly state that D* and E* give free installs and equipment. This is only true of E*.

I

Yes, I see that you here say that D* and E* both charge for their equipment. Again, that is only true of D*.

As to these details that I am supposedly ill-equipped mentally to comprehend, neither are entirely true.

Now, I agree with you that Voom's new strategy is flawed. I just wish you could have humbled the slow-witted so we too could have appreciated your genius.

First; your not a simpleton.

I don't know about where you live, but in the Los Angeles area market Directv is free install and equipment through many sources.

I'm Irish, genius is god given to us, what can I say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm Irish, genius is god given to us, what can I say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ahh, I get it now. I'm German, all God gave me is an appreciation for stout beer, organ meat, and large chested women :)

Karl said:
Damm, sounds like you got the better deal. :D
Actually, it's started me on a path to a bad liver, high blood pressure, and carpal tunnel syndrome. :no

What about the Va Va Voom package. Their web posting says $79.90 with a 5/31 deadline. Does that go up too on June 1?

What a novel idea-
Actually sell a service that caters to what their customers want and assume that if they do that, give the customers what they want for a fair price, that the customers will actually buy it withouit needing to handcuff them to the supplier.

What about the Va Va Voom package. Their web posting says $79.90 with a 5/31 deadline. Does that go up too on June 1?
Based on current information, there are no plans to increase the price of the VaVaVoom package. Keep in mind you still need to order before 5/31 to avoid the installation fee.

teknic,

They've had boxes available for $9.50/mo rental since February, I believe. The alternative is to buy your own equipment ($399? for first receiver, $199 each additional receiver) -- which avoids the lease fee.

Personally, I would not buy the box -- I'd rather put that money toward the HD DVR this fall. The HD DVR may or may not be available for rent.

wow,

so do you get the option of changing the a better one comes out?
and if it becomes defective do they replace for free?

teknic said:
i called today, and they are charging a 9.50 equipment rental
when did this start?
It started when they started the leasing program in february or march

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)