New York Yankees 2008

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Ok. Here is the NY Yankees (former Evil Empire) thread. Season openner is around the corner and the starting pitching staff has not looked good. Pettite has a bad back. Ian Kennedy has not looked good this spring. What are you thoughts? Last year April, May and June were a complete disaster although they put it together in the last half of the year. I do not think they can afford to get behind so much this year. What do you think?

Ok Sean, I felt sorry for you. The Evil Empire gets its own thread and only 1 response in 24 hours and that was from Darren, what the hell does he know?:p

Phis fan perspective. Yanks look damn good to me. Like the Phils, can't possibly start like last year. I would be feeling pretty damn good at the start of this one. Joba is just sick!

It will interesting to see how Petite deals with the media scrutiny about his steroid use this season. I'd wish you well, but I honestly get ill from the idea of the Yankee's winning another championship. :D

Yankee's spent too much money on Alex last year, lets see if he can get them another Word Title, if not, then it was a waste.

I'm planning on making a trip out to Yankee Stadium in August for the 'Ol Timers game. Even a Cleveland fan can appreciate history. ;) Besides, I've never been to the "House that Ruth Built". I figure I'm running out of time, so I snagged up 8 bleacher seats on stub-hub. Looking forward to it.... (Don't worry Jaba, I'll be sure to bring some midges with me when I visit!)

I'm disappointed the only time the Yanks play the Indians in NY this year is for a 3 game series in the middle of the week in May! That's a downright shame. I do have ticks to see them play each other in Cleveland on April 26th though.

Go Tribe!

Ok Sean, I felt sorry for you. The Evil Empire gets its own thread and only 1 response in 24 hours and that was from Darren, what the hell does he know?:p

Phis fan perspective. Yanks look damn good to me. Like the Phils, can't possibly start like last year. I would be feeling pretty damn good at the start of this one. Joba is just sick!

Well, thanks for the help in keeping the thread alive after 24 hrs :D. I think the days of the "Evil Empire" name are over. George is no longer managing the team (which it is good thing and a bad one at the same time). Good because under George young talent was never top priority and bad because George did not care about spending money. The new front office, led by his son, are more careful about giving up on prospects in the minor. I have no problem with this. They are spending heavily in the draft. His son is more careful in spending the money and does not take hasting decisions. First test was when they could not reach a deal with the Twins. I do not regret that they did not get Santana. The twins were asking too much and got very little in return for Santana (IMO).

Any way, I think that on the AL East there are only two teams that can win 90 games this season. Both Boston and NY. I do not see Toronto, Tampa Bay or Baltimore making a run to 90 wins.

It will interesting to see how Petite deals with the media scrutiny about his steroid use this season. I'd wish you well, but I honestly get ill from the idea of the Yankee's winning another championship. :D

I think Pettete will do fine, he can handle it and I really DON'T think the media will continue to bring it up all year, maybe in the first few weeks, but after that I think they will let it blow over.

Jimbo

I think the Yankees will have some severe ups and downs in the beginning but will then level off. If injuries don't prove to be a setback, I expect a good season.

I expect them to finish within 5 - 7 games of the Red Sox if not closer.
I don't see them making the playoffs unless Detroit or Cleveland really drops off the face of the earth, I don't see that happening unless Detroit's bullpen is much worse than the offense can compensate for.

I see the Angels winning the West

Jimbo

Yankees 3 - Blue Jays 2. Great game, Wang pitched a pretty good game, Joba and Mo saved it. Melky made a great catch and hit a home run.

Good start for 2008.

Melky was the man! Two great catches in center field and a home-run. Did you guys see that Halladay was pissed because Melky took a curtain call on the home-run. Pitchers are too sensitive about this stuff. Why get angry? It happens. Girardi gets his first win as Manager and the formula starter - joba- mo worked for at least one game. So here is the formula to win SJM (Starter-Joba-Mo) or my initials (Sean J. Mota) :)

I forgot to mention that M. Kay is still more annoying to listen to as an analyst than ever before. I like Paul O'Neil as an analyst. He brings some sense into Kay's erratic and bizzare analysis of the game. How about David Cone? I thought he was excellent. He provides a more confident broadcaster than Al Leiter. Bring back David Justice. He is very good as well and bring everyone down to earth.

P.S. During the introduction of the players what music were the Yankees playing as background? Guess?

I forgot to mention that M. Kay is still more annoying to listen to as an analyst than ever before. I like Paul O'Neil as an analyst. He brings some sense into Kay's erratic and bizzare analysis of the game. How about David Cone? I thought he was excellent. He provides a more confident broadcaster than Al Leiter. Bring back David Justice. He is very good as well and bring everyone down to earth.

P.S. During the introduction of the players what music were the Yankees playing as background? Guess?

So I guess the broadcast booth is where old Yankees go to die !!!

Do the send EVERYONE there when they leave NY ?

Jimbo

So I guess the broadcast booth is where old Yankees go to die !!!

Do the send EVERYONE there when they leave NY ?

Jimbo

I know if you want to call it that way :D even though the analysis is biased towards the Yankees there are some like David Justice who would cross the line and say it like it is. The Yankees re-live their legends. After they are done playing, some of these guys end up somewhere in the Yankees organization. Bernie Williams is an example of someone who had a bitter ending to his career with the Yankees after given the team one of their best run. I do think Bernie will come back in some capacity some day.

BTW the Yankees lost last night. Burnett had one of those nights that he was not to be dealt with. He had excellent command of his pitches. Arod touched him for a home-run that was it. BTW, Arod just moved to the 15th place in the all time hr list.

I know if you want to call it that way :D even though the analysis is biased towards the Yankees there are some like David Justice who would cross the line and say it like it is. The Yankees re-live their legends. After they are done playing, some of these guys end up somewhere in the Yankees organization. Bernie Williams is an example of someone who had a bitter ending to his career with the Yankees after given the team one of their best run. I do think Bernie will come back in some capacity some day.

BTW the Yankees lost last night. Burnett had one of those nights that he was not to be dealt with. He had excellent command of his pitches. Arod touched him for a home-run that was it. BTW, Arod just moved to the 15th place in the all time hr list.

I have no opinion of the Yankees announcers one way or the other as I have not heard/seen enough of them.
Micheal Kay is the only one I am farmilar with outside of the players ( I have not seen /heard any of them doing broadcasts though.

Jimbo

Today's game 3-2 to the Yanks

Tonight was the rubber game between The Blue Jays and the Yankees. Both started kept pitching like it was a playoff game. Phil Hughes who the Yankees did not want to trade for Johan Santana pitched 6 innings, gave up only two runs and handed it to the bullpen. The bullpen just shutout the Blue Jays all series long. It was great to see Hughes to have such a good game.

One note about the Toronto Blue Jays. They are going to be very tough to beat. They have a good team and they are not easy to beat. Their line up is very good and their pitching, if Halladay and Burnnet can maintain healthy, is very good. Next stop for Toronto is Boston. That should be a fun series to follow. In the meantime, Yanks start a three game weekend series against the Devil Rays. I should say the Rays. They dropped the Devil part. The rays have always played tough agains the Yankees and I expect no less. Their young team run like crazy. Tomorrow Ian Kennedy will start. Last time I saw Ian agains the Ray, he did not do so well.

So far I only see Tigers and Reds threads for some reason. Why are midwesterners having all the fun?

OK let's discuss the Yankees. Playing .500 ball after 20 games is not what they're paying for, but over the last number of years the team has had much worse starts and recovered from them. The difference is the last 12 years we had Joe Torre running the club, and now we have his alter-ego, Joe Girardi. Torre's calmness was villified when the club was losing in early May, and when September came around and they made the playoffs again, his calmness received a lot of the credit.

What will happen with Girardi? So far there is not a big difference on the field, Girardi seems to look and act a lot like Torre. Maybe he's still feeling his way, but then again who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

What about Hank Steinbrenner? Big statements on Sunday, then he pretty much retracts them on Monday. Not sure what to make of that. Is he going to be George Steinbrenner of the 70's? Or does he just have to spout off on occasion, leaving his GM to run the club? Don't know.

The big question of course is what to do with Joba. No matter what they do with him, if they win it'll be the right choice, if they lose it won't. Of course winning and losing involves a lot more than Joba, but the story is just too juicy for the press to pass up.

As always, it'll come down to pitching. Hughes and Kennedy have struggled mightily the first three weeks. Does that mean they should have traded them for Johan Santana? Not sure, there are a number of hall of fame pitchers who had a bad first three weeks, even a bad year or two to start out. There are also a number of failures who started out badly too.

Which side will Hughes and Kennedy fall on? Time will tell. Time will not tell, however, for Mike Mussina. The man needs to start pitching better. What happened to that sharp 12-6 curve that could buckle knees for 7-8 innings? Haven't seen that for a while.

The Yankee lineup is too good to let them fall out of contention, as long as the pitching is at least average. If the pitching moves up to good, of course, playoff chances increase exponentially. Hopefully Hughes and Kennedy (maybe even Mussina) will figure it out before too long.

If not, look for a trade or two for big name pitchers at the deadline.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)