New York Yankees 2008

We do have a Yankees thread. It was just buried a few pages down. :D

merged.

Hey,

Sandra I am glad you chimed in. A few threads back I called for the Yankees fans to keep this thread alive but after a week I did not see much interest and I let it go buried in the sand of the "sports forum". I have followed very few games now and then. I haven't watched an entire game after Hughes second game which was a disaster. He did dissapointed me by following the same path. I am dissappointed in hughes. I really thought that he was going to be the answer and was going to step up like Wang did a few years ago. I never had faith in Kennedy since he is another Mussina (style wise). Kennedy's stuff needs to be right in order for him to be right. He cannot pitch in the middle of the plate because he will get hit. When he misses the corners and cannot mix his pitches, he is in trouble. Kennedy was not ready for the Majors. He needs more time in the minors to perfect his stuff.

I am not ready to give up on Hughes yet. The team, though, needs to get two more starters. According to the minor reports, I read yesterday there are a few pitchers that are having great success in the minors. This include the disaster of K. Igawa. Believe it. I do not believe Joba will be successful in a starting roll. He is better suited as a setup man for Mo. Joba will be the future closer. Mo cannot throw two innings anymore. He needs to pitch just the nine inning. Joba will close after Mo retires.

Baseball is all about pitching and right now starting pitching is thin. They need to get someone from the minors to give them more innings than hughe or kennedy.

Hey,

Sandra I am glad you chimed in. A few threads back I called for the Yankees fans to keep this thread alive but after a week I did not see much interest and I let it go buried in the sand of the "sports forum". I have followed very few games now and then. I haven't watched an entire game after Hughes second game which was a disaster. He did dissapointed me by following the same path. I am dissappointed in hughes. I really thought that he was going to be the answer and was going to step up like Wang did a few years ago. I never had faith in Kennedy since he is another Mussina (style wise). Kennedy's stuff needs to be right in order for him to be right. He cannot pitch in the middle of the plate because he will get hit. When he misses the corners and cannot mix his pitches, he is in trouble. Kennedy was not ready for the Majors. He needs more time in the minors to perfect his stuff.

I am not ready to give up on Hughes yet. The team, though, needs to get two more starters. According to the minor reports, I read yesterday there are a few pitchers that are having great success in the minors. This include the disaster of K. Igawa. Believe it. I do not believe Joba will be successful in a starting roll. He is better suited as a setup man for Mo. Joba will be the future closer. Mo cannot throw two innings anymore. He needs to pitch just the nine inning. Joba will close after Mo retires.

Baseball is all about pitching and right now starting pitching is thin. They need to get someone from the minors to give them more innings than hughe or kennedy.

Unfortunately it looks like Hughes and Kennedy will be learning the hard way, in the majors. There is simply nobody to replace them right now. I think Hughes will be very good, maybe even this year. He's had some bad luck with weather, etc,. but his stuff looks major league ready right now. Not major league dominant ready, at least not this year, but I think he can contribute every fifth day.

Kennedy, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I do see a similarity between him and Mussina, and my goodness wouldn't that be fantastic! Mussina is on the downside now, but he's had an outstanding career for more than a decade. I'll take that from Kennedy!

Sandra

Starting Pitching is ALWAYS at a premium, never enough of it.

Don't worry, the Yanks will go out and get a few overpaid starters at the trade deadline when the team they are with cannot afford them next year.
It happens EVERY year, this year is no different.

Jimbo

Yeah all teams want more starting pitching, some need it more than others.......Reds!!!!

Unfortunately it looks like Hughes and Kennedy will be learning the hard way, in the majors. There is simply nobody to replace them right now. I think Hughes will be very good, maybe even this year. He's had some bad luck with weather, etc,. but his stuff looks major league ready right now. Not major league dominant ready, at least not this year, but I think he can contribute every fifth day.

Kennedy, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. I do see a similarity between him and Mussina, and my goodness wouldn't that be fantastic! Mussina is on the downside now, but he's had an outstanding career for more than a decade. I'll take that from Kennedy!

Sandra
Cashman is going to regret not getting Santana.. :mad: and Hankenstein is the one who will never make him forget it..

Yeah all teams want more starting pitching, some need it more than others.......Reds!!!!

The Reds' starting pitching has been fine so far. Their problem has been production from the 3-4-5 hitters--no big surprise. Before today, the Reds were hitting .124 as a team with 2 outs and RISP.

Let's dump Griffey and Dunn and move on. Neither of those guys has even been worth a penny in the clutch. All they are is a burden on the payroll. Jeesh.

The Reds' starting pitching has been fine so far. Their problem has been production from the 3-4-5 hitters--no big surprise. Before today, the Reds were hitting .124 as a team with 2 outs and RISP.

Let's dump Griffey and Dunn and move on. Neither of those guys has even been worth a penny in the clutch. All they are is a burden on the payroll. Jeesh.

Griffey should stay until he wants to move on.
I don't see them sending him anywhere before he moves past the next homerun milestone. ( of course that could be this week yet)

Jimbo

A few people make this is such midwestern-based forum that even the Yankee thread segues into a midwestern thread...

Drew where are you when I need you!!!

Sandra

A few people make this is such midwestern-based forum that even the Yankee thread segues into a midwestern thread...

Drew where are you when I need you!!!

Sandra

Well, obviously were all reading the thread ....
Where's all the Yankee fans to carry the thread ?

Jimbo

Jimbo
Nice series sweep by the Tigers at Yankee Stadium; nice series sweep by the Wings over Colorado; excellent series win by the Pistons over Philly. Now, if we can only rescue the Lions from 40 years of Ford Family ownership!

Sandrac,

Yanks are in deep s***t to say the least. Hughes is out until July and probably august. Alex is in dl and the pitching has been terrible. Cano is batting less than .200 and there seems to be no relief in sight. It is only May and too early to wave the white flag but it is getting closer to that.

Jimbo

Here's a bigger question...where are the fans of any other team to carry any other thread? Except for a few people posting about Detroit and Ohio it gets very quiet in here.

In the Fall when I'm looking for football talk about my beloved Buckeyes, however, I'll know where to go.

Sandra

Last edited:
Sandrac,

Yanks are in deep s***t to say the least. Hughes is out until July and probably august. Alex is in dl and the pitching has been terrible. Cano is batting less than .200 and there seems to be no relief in sight. It is only May and too early to wave the white flag but it is getting closer to that.

They're in no deeper s***t than they've been most every other year, and they've always found a way back. 14 games out of a playoff spot last year, everyone wrote them off, and they made the playoffs again.

Let's be honest, what are we missing with Hughes being out...a non-quality start every fifth day? We can get that from a lot of guys, maybe even a quality start or two. As far as Cano and A-Rod and everyone else is concerned, the baseball-card effect will come into play eventually.

It's never a good idea to look at standings on May 2 and decide which team is going to finish where.

The big issue is Joba, this may force the Yankees to move him to the rotation whether they wanted to or not. Somebody has to start, but of course that will leave a void in the 8th inning. And if they're only going to let him pitch 150 innings or so this year, he shouldn't start at all.

The good news is the Yankees farm system is loaded, which means a June/July trade for a quality arm or two is not out of the question. Of course it wouldn't be bad if Hughes and/or Kennedy also turned into quality arms by then.

Sandra

Kennedy has been demoted but they have won three in a row to calm down the press. I haven't followed the last three games (except for highlights) to know who they brought up from the minors. Well I hope for the sweep tonight. I will be watching the game.

The Yanks will be okay as long as the owners stay out of the way!
A lot of injuries now, hopefully all will come back healthy for the stretch run!
If Wang, Pettitte and Mussina stay healthy we have a good chance.

Tonight marks the Indian's final and only trip this year to the Bronx for their last series meeting at historic Yankee stadium.

Fausto Carmona vs. Andy Pettitte. Should be a good one!

I hear an offensive "slump-buster" includes a heavy dose of ailing Yankee pitching! Go Tribe!

So are you thinking that one or the other or both won't make the playoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)