NEwb whole home and internet question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigred77

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Texas
I tried searching old posts and found myself more confused.

My set up is a HR24-200 in the living room, a H24-700 in the master bed, and a couple of D12-100's in the other bed rooms.

I know the whole home should only connect to the master bed room, and it did for a while, but then it went away. and I cant seem to get it to connect again.

Also my main reciever wont connect to the internet. I have a ethernet cable plugged directly from my router into the ethernet port on the HR24.

I called my local satellite shop, who I bought the system and install through and they told me to go to the menu and tell the recievers to "Share playlist" under the setup menu. Which I tried turning it to No then back to yes, and nothing changed.
They also told me I probably need a DECA to connect to the internet they have them for sale for $99.
From my searches I find some say the HR24 has DECA built in, yet mine still doesnt work. I tried testing the cable and it works plugged into the computer (turned wireless off on the computer).
I am really confused as to why the reciever even has an ethernet plug in port if it doesnt work.

anybody have any suggestions for me?

bigred77 said:
I tried searching old posts and found myself more confused.

My set up is a HR24-200 in the living room, a H24-700 in the master bed, and a couple of D12-100's in the other bed rooms.

I know the whole home should only connect to the master bed room, and it did for a while, but then it went away. and I cant seem to get it to connect again.

Also my main reciever wont connect to the internet. I have a ethernet cable plugged directly from my router into the ethernet port on the HR24.

I called my local satellite shop, who I bought the system and install through and they told me to go to the menu and tell the recievers to "Share playlist" under the setup menu. Which I tried turning it to No then back to yes, and nothing changed.
They also told me I probably need a DECA to connect to the internet they have them for sale for $99.
From my searches I find some say the HR24 has DECA built in, yet mine still doesnt work. I tried testing the cable and it works plugged into the computer (turned wireless off on the computer).
I am really confused as to why the reciever even has an ethernet plug in port if it doesnt work.

anybody have any suggestions for me?

Disconnect the cat5 cable to the receiver. Plugging it in disables in the internal deca. Once that's disconnected reset (red button reset) both the HDDVR and HD. That will get your whole home back working. You need what's called a broadband deca in order to to get your system online. It's a single coax line from your SWM splitter to your Internet source then it plugs in to the broadband deca and that hooks in to your router. Hope this helps!

Disconnect the cat5 cable to the receiver. Plugging it in disables in the internal deca. Once that's disconnected reset (red button reset) both the HDDVR and HD. That will get your whole home back working. You need what's called a broadband deca in order to to get your system online. It's a single coax line from your SWM splitter to your Internet source then it plugs in to the broadband deca and that hooks in to your router. Hope this helps!

OK, did the disconnect and resets, whole home works again. Thanks!

Where do I get a broadband deca? is that different from any other kind of deca?, so I that I know if I am searching the internet for one that I am getting the right one.

so the deca is only going to hook to the splitter on the coax? not from splitter to deca to reciever?
but the cat5 cable goes from router to deca to reciever? if I am understanding right?

bigred77 said:
OK, did the disconnect and resets, whole home works again. Thanks!

Where do I get a broadband deca? is that different from any other kind of deca?, so I that I know if I am searching the internet for one that I am getting the right one.

so the deca is only going to hook to the splitter on the coax? not from splitter to deca to reciever?
but the cat5 cable goes from router to deca to reciever? if I am understanding right?

Coax in to the broadband deca-cat5 from deca to router. It's a little black box. And yes, the installer should've installed it already

If you absolutely need a bbdeca, you can purchase one from solid signal, and install it yourself, you can also call directv to have a tech come install one, not sure on their charges for this. Your local shop told you 100 bucks, and that seems high to me personally.

Easiest method
Wireless BB Deca
DIRECTV CCK-W Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W) from Solid Signal

Less Easy method
DIRECTV DECA Broadband with power supply (DECABB1R0) from Solid Signal
and you may need a two way splitter for use with this
DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) from Solid Signal

Installer said he just thought the internet at the house was messed up, unfortunately when it was installed I had to leave and left him with my fiance's 20 year old son. so needless to say, the right questions didnt get asked.
I guess the installer doesnt understand why these receivers either.

so, it looks like the broadband Deca is the same cost local as it is online?
wonder if the internet on DirectTV is worth it?
What all is it going to do for me?

bigred77 said:
Installer said he just thought the internet at the house was messed up, unfortunately when it was installed I had to leave and left him with my fiance's 20 year old son. so needless to say, the right questions didnt get asked.
I guess the installer doesnt understand why these receivers either.

so, it looks like the broadband Deca is the same cost local as it is online?
wonder if the internet on DirectTV is worth it?
What all is it going to do for me?

If it was on the work order and the installer had that item deleted it would be a free install to have them come back an install it. At least that's what I've ran in to. I would call and see what Directv can do!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)