Newbe question on HTS receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mojack

Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Missouri
I picked up a 8ft mesh Winegard dish yesterday. The receiver that came with it is a HTS system 50 videopal with a General Instrument RS Module. No card in module.
My question is can this receiver be used or should it go in the trash ? My other question is I have a Coolsat 5000 and a 7100. Can the be used to control the motor and receive C band? Would love to get it setup and working.

Thanks for any help.
mojack

I picked up a 8ft mesh Winegard dish yesterday. The receiver that came with it is a HTS system 50 videopal with a General Instrument RS Module. No card in module.
My question is can this receiver be used or should it go in the trash ? My other question is I have a Coolsat 5000 and a 7100. Can the be used to control the motor and receive C band? Would love to get it setup and working.

Thanks for any help.
mojack

The HTS receiver can be used for motor control, and to switch H/V polarity if you have a servo-controlled feed (like a Chapparal Polarotor or Corotor). You can also receive the remaining analog channels/feeds with it.

Both of the Coolsats will receive C-band but neither will control the actuator (motor) on a BUD.

To use the equipment you have you should probably slave one of the Coolsats to the HTS and go from there. Look at the attached pic... "Existing receiver" = HTS, "MPEG Receiver" = Coolsat. You can ignore the Ku references if you are going C-band only.

mojack, where are you located in MO?

Attachments

• Sat Receiver Slave Pic.jpg
    Sat Receiver Slave Pic.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 207
phlatwound

Thanks for the info and diagram, I seen the name Chaparral on the LNB and it is a C band only. Maybe I might up grade to a C band/KU band LNB if the motor is in working order.
I am located south of Salem. How about you?

mojack

phlatwound

Thanks for the info and diagram, I seen the name Chaparral on the LNB and it is a C band only. Maybe I might up grade to a C band/KU band LNB if the motor is in working order.
I am located south of Salem. How about you?

mojack

You're welcome, glad to help. :)

I am between Springfield & Joplin.

Hi, when I first got my BUD mounted and wanted to see if I could get anything with it I used a pair of needle nose pliers with some masking tape wrapped around the tips to gently move the servo motor probe to a vertical or horizontal position - that is (with the dish pointed due south) then hooked up my DVB receiver and then used a pair of car batteries (hooked up in series for 24 volts) to move the dish motor. You can move it one way then the other simply by flipping the wires. I was able to find my first satellite with this simple hookup and adjust the dish for better signal quality.

Maybe give it a try if you just want to see the thing start to work.

Later, DC

Thanks delta_charlie,
I tested the motor and it seem's to be working ok. I set my pole today and hope to mount the dish tomorrow afternoon or Monday.
Then the fun part.

mojack

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)