Newbie> Activation help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CuteChhokra

Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
Do you need the phone line to be plugged into the receiver in order to activate for the first time? (no DVR, no TiVO, just standard receiver)

I know you don't need it later if you are not ordering special packages or PPV etc. and that is not my intention anyways. I just want to subscribe to standard package, that's it.

No need for a phone line at all without TiVo. But if you want to order movies or PPV sports, you'll have to create an account at DirecTV.com and order that way.

You may be unable to get the local sports package (due to the idiotic blackout rules) if DTV can't verily your location when you install.

alta said:
You may be unable to get the local sports package (due to the idiotic blackout rules) if DTV can't verily your location when you install.

Nope, they verify where you are by the service address you give them. That is why it is so easy for people to "move."

dgordo said:
Nope, they verify where you are by the service address you give them. That is why it is so easy for people to "move."

Are you sure? When I got my DirecTV I didn't bother plugging into the phone line because I was on the verge of dropping my land line and going totally cellular. When I activated they told me that I had to hook it up and then call them to "pulse" (may not be the term they used) me so they could verify my location and then give me a waiver, so I could get the local sports without getting blacked out.

I did run the phone line and called them but from the utter sound of confusion on the CSR's voice I'm thinking that I was played for a fool. I did drop my land line and I'm totally cellular now. This means I can never do the TIVO thing, and I think I'd have to call or order PPV on-line, but I've never bothered. Paying $50.month for a land line I never used, except to get solicitation calls, just didn't make sense.

Very sure, I have had D* for almost 6 years without ever having any receivers connected to a phone line.

alta: I do not intend to order special sports packages other than CricketTicket occassionally.

I am told by many sources that if the CSR asks to plug in the phone line, tell him you don't have the phone jack near the receiver and you will do so later. Point is that they DO NOT NEED the phone to activate at all. At times, you might get a wierd CSR.

You can always get a DTivo and for the initial setup after the installer runs the coax you can take it to a friend's house and hook it up (satellite not required for the phone call) and run the initial setup. You're good to go after that.

I had to do that because the DTivos do not like our Vonage line. I've done all the tricks in the book except for hooking up an external modem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts