Newbie alert!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

murphsurf

Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Hello, I am Murphsurf. Tech Head.

I just bought a Twinhan Starbox Usb and a panasonic Dual Dish. I have no idea what channels i can expect but maybee somone here can help me understand what FTA can do and what kind of programming i can expect.

i am on aol 24x7 murphsurf2000
and also on msn

Nice to join Satelliteguys !

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! :wave

Let me move your thread to the FTA area, so that FTA guys could help you better.

Heck, I am over 50 and

Katrinasucks said:
Neither of you guys have met my 15 year old nephew. :D

I bought an FTA receiver just out of curiosity, after looking over Lyngsat. Figured with my existing BUD, I could have a look at something I had never seen for a minimal investment (relative to my 4dtv that is!). Now I have seen enough, and ordered in a dedicated dish, LNB, and motor drive for my FTA Viewsat Extreme. That way I can surf FTA without driving myself nuts with polarity switching! My house will look like mushroom land, and my GF is not a happy camper....took her months to get used to the 8 footer until I told her...IT WAS HERE BEFORE YOU WERE! I was in deep *** for that one!

It is still a real kick doing a blind scan on FTA , on a bird I have not added, and watching channels pop up...

Question...why do some of the free channels have no sound, but do have a picture? I wonder if it is because I am using the Toslink out on the FTA receiver....? 4DTV works that way (have to use normal audio cables + coax to get AC3 + analog sound) Before I buy cables...anyone?

regards
jeff

I bought the equpiment becuase i am a techie. i like to figure things out. I would like to figure out how satellites work and stuff like that. I love anything tech. Plus my friend got me into FTA. I want to explore and figure things out .

Anyways, panasonic is the maker of the dish and box that used to be connected to it. It had some kind of card, like a smart card. I recently went on the roof and looked at it. It was left behind from a former tenant that lived here and rented from me,

What confueses me is the 30" thing. Are you saying that i cant get a signal with this dish. I wanted to use this card to get signals from EchoStar satellites. Is it possible to get NagraVision programming with this setup?? Can somone explain what i have to do to get NagraVision programming. Is this twinHan box like a PanSat? Can i get pay channels? What setup do i need to get FOX and record eppisodes of 24? Thats what im really after.

Somone please help me. i dont meen to be so retarted on these issues but i dont know a thing about FTA and i want to learn. How do i use my Starbox to get Dish network? and or is there a way to get FOX broadcast with this setup?

I find satellite TV interesting and want to know all about FTA. I appreciate your time and hope that i can get things going with the equpiment that I have. I do have money

what confuses me is this. Noing nothing about FTA i installed a coolsat for a friend of mine. I aimed at 2 EchoStar sats and uploaded the Bin File to the BOX. Then i went out and bought a usb Twinhan StarBox. I dont have it in my hands yet but i want to know what to expect. Can i program it to descramble like the cool sat? This set says it uses DVB. Also I have a media center PC and a Linux box. Wich is better for what im trying to do?

I hope that i can use this device like a pansat or cool sat and get Echo Star feed.

Uh Oh....

murphsurf said:
I bought the equpiment becuase i am a techie. i like to figure things out. I would like to figure out how satellites work and stuff like that. I love anything tech. Plus my friend got me into FTA. I want to explore and figure things out .
Anyways, panasonic is the maker of the dish and box that used to be connected to it. It had some kind of card, like a smart card. I recently went on the roof and looked at it. It was left behind from a former tenant that lived here and rented from me,
What confueses me is the 30" thing. Are you saying that i cant get a signal with this dish. I wanted to use this card to get signals from EchoStar satellites. Is it possible to get NagraVision programming with this setup?? Can somone explain what i have to do to get NagraVision programming. Is this twinHan box like a PanSat? Can i get pay channels? What setup do i need to get FOX and record eppisodes of 24? Thats what im really after.
Somone please help me. i dont meen to be so retarted on these issues but i dont know a thing about FTA and i want to learn. How do i use my Starbox to get Dish network? and or is there a way to get FOX broadcast with this setup?
I find satellite TV interesting and want to know all about FTA. I appreciate your time and hope that i can get things going with the equpiment that I have. I do have money

Good night Irene...This is going to hurt! <Plonk>

Last edited:
quote reply

Iceberg said:
:)
wondered that one too (unless it was free or real dirt cheap)

I bought the equipment because i want to record FOX, the show i want is 24. If i cant get that with the dish i got then what do i need to buy to make this work?

Twinhan Starbox, FX55 AMD, 2 GIG mem, rosewill 256 Vid

murphsurf said:
Is it possible to get NagraVision programming with this setup??

Not legally.

If all you want is a Fox network, there are some out there on FTA, but you will need a different dish setup.

(shaking head) Murphy murphy murphy murphy...

If you are so proud of your techiness, perhaps you have the ability to read?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.