Newbie confused over all the HDTV speculation

griz_fan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
Meridian, Idaho
Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable folks here can help me clear up some confusion I'm having regarding where Dish seems be going with it's HD plans. Now I realize that we should all hopefully learn a lot more on Monday night, but my curiosity is getting the best of me now.
Here's my situation: I've been with Dish for almost 2 years now, with a 522 running two secondary TV's and a 510 on the primary TV. This has actually worked out quite nicely for my family. But, our primary TV is now a new Toshiba 62HMX94, and the 510 ain't cuttin' it. For hi-def, I'm currently using a cheap indoor antenna to pull in all the local HD stuff (I'm in Boise, ID). But, while I dig HD, I miss having a DVR.
I'm on the digital home advantage plan, with a Dish 500. From what I understand, the Dish HD DVRs would let me plug in my antenna so I can use DVR functionality not only on the programming available from Dish, but also on the stuff available over the air, is that a correct assesment? I'm hoping that is the case, because I have a feeling that Boise, ID locals probably won't be available in HD from Dish for quite some time.
The 622 sounds like a promising option (assuming I'm correct about being able to record local OTA content), but I'm confused about what Dish may offer for an upgrade path. Other threads mention an upgrade "for the cost of a service call", but is that only for current HD subcribers? Right now, my only option seems to be to purchase a 942 with installation for almost $800, which is beyond what I want to spend at the moment. I'm hoping that Dish will make the 622 available for less (even if it means committing to their service for a specified time).
So, any thoughts/recomendations? Am I reading the tea leaves correctly, or am I way off base?
thanks in advance for the help!

All I can suggest is "STAY AWAY" from the 942, it's obsolete as of now. The new HD channels will be in MPG4 and only the new receivers will display them. Watch the Charlie Chat on channel 101 tomorrow or join the Charlie Chat Chat Monday night here at Satelliteguys.us. We will find out what they are gonna offer us existing "SUCKERS" to upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)