Newbie got no OTA channels. Please help

yangyang

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Hi Voomers,

Just got mine installed yesterday. I get all the satellite channels but no OTA channels. The Mapping looks correct. I used to get OTA HD channels with my own HD tuner box. That's why I know the signal strength is good. I used the same attenna with the voom box and got nothing. The off-air signal strength on the voom status screen shows 0. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure that the OTA module is installed and that your antenna is connected directly to that module. See pictures in the STB FAQ.

Yangyang,

If your OTA module is installed, you may want to call VOOM and ask them to send a signal hit to your box to see whether it will help.

Lanscoman said:
OTA module (otherwise known as a Diplexer!!) I just figured it out myself the other day.

The OTA Module is NOT the Diplexer. They are two seperate parts.

What is the OTA antenna upgrade that you guys talk about?

A bigger antenna or some kind of a booster?

I think I need just a small boost because I am getting all the channels now, but a couple break up a little.

Also on the regular satellite channels am I supposed to be getting the black blockiness when I first turn to a channel? It seems like it didn't do that the first day.

I would hit it with the biggest signal booster you can buy. I am guessing since the signal is HD, there wouldn't be any ghosting like analog, so the more boost the better. Granted, I am expecting a post to squash my comment, but just throwing this out there. I know RadioShack has a booster that amplifies signal by 36 (db something or other). That has worked for me, although, I still can only get 4 of the 5 channels at a time, depending on antenna pointing. Oh well.

There are reflections in signal like analog, but instead of seeing "ghosts" like analog you will see things like a strong signal and no picture or a strong signal with picture blips, breakups, and pixilation.

The 36dB amplifier from Radio Shack is really good. You can adjust the gain to the level you need and it also has an FM Trap. Some of the time just turing the FM Trap on will cut the interference enough to get a lock on a station. With the FM Trap off I only receive 2 local DTV stations, but with it on 5 of the 7 local stations get a lock.

One thing to remember with amplifiers is that it will only boost signals that are already there. It only has to be a small amount of signal, but there has to at least be some signal present. An amplifier isn't going to pull in a station if you aren't getting a signal for it to amplify. So if you have one of those locals that are transmitting at "temporary" low power and amplifier might not boost the signal enough. That's why I can't get 2 of my locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts