New OTA Channel appeared, but get no signal?

Augurr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
I was flipping thru my channels last night and suddenly(meaning, it was there that morning) I see 44-1 WGMB1. That would be my local Fox channel. I didn't do a scan to get this channel, it just appeared on both STB's. Now I know Voom has mappings for locals based on some national listing they have and previously all I had was my local ABC and CBS channels. Now I suddenly have the Fox channel. Which to me means they updated the local mappings for my area to include this local. I tuned to it and got "blah blah blah, no signal received, blah, call the idiots, blah". So I tried doing a manual scan for the channel and got nothing except for another listing for my local ABC and my CBS channels. Hmmmm .... I called Voom talked to one of those idiots, and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was a local. I tried explaining to her that Voom updated my local mappings, therefore they must think I can receive the channel but I can't. She told me to reboot my STB. Didn't work, of course. Is my thinking wrong? Or should I call my local Fox affiliate and make sure they are actually broadcasting a digital OTA signal? I also think I should be getting my local NBC, but I don't either. If I call the stations and they confirm they are broadcasting digital OTA, then should that qualify me for an OTA upgrade?

Augurr

Just because some people in a viewing area can get an OTA it doesn't mean all can. Voom doesn't know if you live on top of a hill or at the bottom of a valley. People on the other side of the hill or on the other side of town may get stations you can't and vice versa.

Some OTA's are broadcasting with greatly reduced power.

Voom has no control of the locals other than antenna size and location.

It would be interesting to see what signal strength you get when tuned to that channel. Try going into the setup and using the "aim antenna" function. If you don't get the signal strength, you wont get the channel. You can use antennaweb to find out where the transmitter is and tune your antenna that direction, if it doesnt cause you to lose any existing OTAs.

--Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)