Newbie here - question about basic setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mamahen

Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
NC, USA
Hi everyone. I'm new and looking for an FTA setup that will pick up the Galaxy 19 satellite. We only want to watch GLC, and maybe 1 other channel. Right now we watch locals only with an OTA HD antenna and DTVPal DVR combo.

Here's the wishlist:

• it only needs to pickup Galaxy 19
  • PVR ready or the like... we want to record stuff
  • we need to be able to continue to record the local channels we currently receive. If the satellite system could pick up locals, too, that would be awesome... otherwise I guess I'll have to live with 2 contraptions on the roof :)
  • Access to a decent program guide would be fantastic, especially for the local channels. The program guide we have now is abysmal.
We also currently own 2 satellite dishes from previous installations (dish 500 round with no lnb and d-tv 'slimline' elliptical with SL5 lnb). Would it be possible (and simple) to use/modify one of these, or should we just buy a new dish?

Bottom line is that I'm looking for the cheapest, simplest setup to watch and record GLC. If it will do the locals as well, so that hubby can take down the HD antenna, great. If not, we'll just leave that one up (but want to make sure the new PVR will record stuff from that antenna).

Thank you so much for the help!

Mama Hen

Checkout ww.glorystar.tv or click on the eBay link in the signature below. These systems are provided for people interested in receiving the free Christian channels on Galaxy19 and with no previous satellite experience. They are provided with excellent step by step instructions, aiming coordinates and one year unlimited telephone support. If you do not feel comfortable installing the system, browse www.ftainstall.com to locate a local installer.

Your current equipment would not be suitable for receiving Galaxy 19 as it is designed for a different service requiring a smaller dish, frequency and polarity.

Not many satellite receivers have built-in tuners for local channels, but those that do are usually expensive, not well developed and often are missing the electronic program guide or have tuning problems. You are better off having these two systems as separate items. If you do not have a newer TV with a DTV tuner built-in, the DTV converter boxes is the preferred way.

If the PVR must record both satellite and local, your options are:
  • Combined satellite / terrestrial ATSC tuner unit
  • Stand alone PVR unit connected to 2 receivers
  • PC with 2 tuners (satellite / terrestrial ATSC)

You would need to keep the outdoor antenna for most areas to receive reliable reception on local channels.

Last edited:
welcome :wave

I would recommend the Glorystar DVR system. They specialize in the G19 "family friendly" channels
Free Christian Satellite Television - No Monthly Fees from Glorystar Christian Satellite!

The DVR system can record programing. It does not have a OTA antenna option built in so you'd still need the DTVPal DVR.
Access to a decent program guide would be fantastic, especially for the local channels. The program guide we have now is abysmal.
Whats wrong with the guide on the DTVPal DVR? I had one and the guide was pretty good. Could go 7 days and setting up recordings was very easy.

We also currently own 2 satellite dishes from previous installations (dish 500 round with no lnb and d-tv 'slimline' elliptical with SL5 lnb). Would it be possible (and simple) to use/modify one of these, or should we just buy a new dish?
The 500 round is too small. The elliptical one is close enough size wise but would require major modification to get the right LNB (the eyeball) on it. Best to get a new dish.

If you do not have a newer TV with a DTV tuner built-in, many DTV converter boxes are available inexpensively. You would need an additional outdoor antenna for most areas to receive reliable reception on local channels.

They mention they have a DTVPal DVR which is actually a really good product for OTA recording.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Glorystar

Whats wrong with the guide on the DTVPal DVR? I had one and the guide was pretty good. Could go 7 days and setting up recordings was very easy.
Maybe it's just an issue with our local stations. Some of the times are off, and we have quite a few stations with 'no information available.' You're right that setting the recording up is easy... once we get the correct station/time nailed down. Maybe I'm a little spoiled having had d-tv for so long (ditched it a couple of years ago).

Again, thanks so much for the help!!

Mama Hen

Ok, one more question... can I pickup anything on G19 with the Glorystar receiver? I just checked their channel lineup and the #2 channel that we're possibly interested in is not listed. It's on G19, just not on their lineup. :confused:

do you get locals from more than one area? Reason I ask is I know when I had mine I got locals from 2 different markets
Minneapolis (my "main" market)
Mankato (about 60 miles down the road from me and considered a different market even though they only have CBS & Fox)

If I put in my "normal" zip most of the Minneapolis channels would fill 3-4 days of guide info..even up to 7 but Mankato only showed less than 15 hours
If I used Mankato zip then the CBS station would fill 7 days but Fox (subchannel on CBS) would show about 12 hours still. Minneapolis would be a day or so

do you get locals from more than one area?
Yes, actually we do. I'll tell my hubby what you said... maybe he hasn't played around with the zip codes yet. Thanks!

Mama Hen

What I would do is see where the locals come from and put in a zip for the area that has more or "better" stations for you. There may be stations close but if they're something you dont watch does it matter if the guide goes 2 days or 7? ;)

I do know putting in a zip helps. I originally left mine at 00000 and the guide only went less than a day. Put in a zip and got better results

Ok, one more question... can I pickup anything on G19 with the Glorystar receiver? I just checked their channel lineup and the #2 channel that we're possibly interested in is not listed. It's on G19, just not on their lineup. :confused:

The GEOSATpro receiver is both a Free To Air receiver and provides a Glorystar experience with a Glorystar channel list. The receiver can be automatically updated each week with an approved list of channels or you may elect to turn off the automatic updating feature and scan in any channel that is unencrypted from the Galaxy19 satellite.

BTW.... What channel is missing from the Glorystar line-up that you would like to receive?

any channel that is free to air you can pick up. There are scrambled channels on that satellite too.
Which channel are you talking about?

My bad... I looked up the #2 channel I thought I was interested in (Yahweh), and it is NOT what I was thinking it was. So, I have no need for that one.

Yes, GLC = God's Learning Channel. I really like that one. :)

Mama Hen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)