Newbie in need of help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pattycakes42

Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Hello all!

My parents have recently moved to a relatively rural area of Colorado. My dad asked me to help him with a FTA set up. We're pretty handy but we want to be sure we're purchasing the right products for use.

They want to be able to receive FTA channels from NA as well as from China and Taiwan.

He was looking at the combo setups on Saduan's website they have a "motorized" setup for $229. I'd add a link but I'm not allowed since I'm a new member. But here are the specs as listed on the website.

Untitled.jpg

Would this be suitable for our needs? Or should we piece meal a setup on our own? Is motorized required if we want to receive both NA and International channels?

Thanks for the patience, I'm certain these questions have been asked multiple times, I tried doing a search in the FAQ area but I got overloaded by the details.

I would suggest you look at the package SatelliteAV links I his signature.
Yes, he's an advertiser here, but I wouldn't recommend if he didn't have good stuff.
First off, his is a 36" dish. Some day, that'll matter to you. :)
His included LNBF is a new PLL model, with lifetime warranty.
The microHD receiver seems the current leader in capability, price, and support.

Pick one satellite to aim at and get educated in the ways of FTA.
Later on, by all means get a motor; that 380 @ Sadoun is a good choice. ;)

Have you determined the channels you want are available?

I just gave a dish to someone who wanted to set up something for his dad to receive Chinese channels, and he was pretty upset to find out it's basically just CCTV-4 and Mac TV from Taiwan. There are a few religious channels from Taiwan and some CCTV foreign-language channels, but if he wants CCTV1 or the big Taiwanese networks, he's probably going to have to pay for them.

Similarly, there are some North American channels, but almost no local stations on ku-band (I can only think of KTEL Telemundo that's full time) and none of the major pay-cable networks.

Take a look through "The List" on this site or tell us what channels you would like to receive.

I want to give a little more clarification .... You may get Chinese "stations" from Satellites you can see from Colorado. These will be "North American" satellites. You will not get the Chinese satellites - at all.

So check "the list" at the top of most pages for the "North American" 'birds'. Most stations that are viewable will be listed, some I do not understand the names.

As has been said, there are stations that are only available by subscription, and many that are not where we can see. Look over the list. If the station / channel is not on the list, you PROBABLY will not ever see it.

AND WELCOME to Satellite Guys!

I've been looking over the "list" as suggested.

From what I gather a 36" dish is considered medium sized correct? I believe the channels we would be hoping to receive are on 113.0°W SatMex 6 Ku, 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku, 72.0°W AMC 6 Ku and 125.0°W AMC 21 Ku. These are all listed under the medium sized dish on "the list" this means we 'should' be able to pick them up right?

To clarify we are fully aware that we won't be picking up the "big" networks. Currently they have NO tv of any kind so this would be a improvement. ^_^ Their expectations aren't that high.

We just want to know what the basic setup would be to receive most of the NA FTA channels, the bonus is to receive the chinese language broadcast channels from the NA satellites as well.

As far as local channels goes I understand that we will not pick them up unless they happen to broadcast on a satellite channel as well.

Thanks!!

I suspect if you are close enough to the larger communities in Colorado that there might be local channels being broadcast that you can pick up with a TV antenna and digital TV tuner (built into most newer TV sets). This would certainly supplement the FTA channels.

YES! Even if he is in the mountains. if he is in an area where there is a good view of the Clarke Belt, then getting those should be doable on a 36 to 39 inch dish. This time of the year, if he can see the sun from dawn to dark, he probably has the satellite view he needs. Purists may argue, but that is a basic idea behind the "solar outage calculator" and that calculator looks to the minute and degree, the basic track of the sun is close.

You could motorize to get all 4 of those sats. or find or buy 4 dishes, each one aimed a a particular bird. That is the way I would do it, then if one gets moved off by a storm, the others might still be on target. Anole made a thread in the FAQ section stickies about switches, that will show you how to do that. Motors and the stormy mountains of Colorado do not work well together!

You will need MPEG4 receiver and 36" dish...

...to get PBS and other HD channels. The Sadoun combo linked to in the original post is an MPEG2 receiver and 31" dish.

Suggest the MicroHD receiver and 36" dish with PLL LNBF from Satellite AV. That's what I would get if just starting out. Later you can add a motor or more dishes with a DISEqC switch to access more satellites.

And to add to that last post.... If you know that you will want all 4 ... I would call and ask SatAv if you can get a special on 4 dishes with lnbf's (I think I would ask for the dual outputs- just to be sure you can have 2 TVs on the same Sat later) and a receiver for each TV you want to watch separately. Maybe 1 microHD and 4 dishes & 4 lnbfs....
But if you want to find out what you want ... one system ... either his ebay special or the Glorystar one room system.

Brian stands behind the equipment he makes available - even sometimes when he is not the retailer!
Personally, I do not think I will ever buy from a different retailer of Satellite systems again. (Used maybe yes, but not new!)

A 36 '' Ku dish or bigger and an LNBF is recommended.
You may consider a motor for the dish to get several satellites.
A good receiver like the microHD, for the price and quality you can not beat this, this receiver has a good reputation.

I would start with one KU dish and receiver to see if this works out for you.
But for starters you have to see if you have a in-line sight to the satellite you want, no blockage from trees and building etc.
Go to dishpointer.com

To check for channels you may receive go to lyngsat.com.
Ku channels have 5 digits in the transponder column.
C-band channels have 4 digits in the transponder column.

Our family is watching mostly KU signals from 97W and if I remember right they have a couple of chinese channels and thaiwan there. And also our family is watching C-band channels from many satellites. I have a c-band satellite dish that receives c and ku channels from the same c-band satellite dish.
You may be able to get free c-band satellite dishes that you have to dig out and bring home. Look at the graigslist.

We also installed an OTA( over the air) regular TV antenna for local programming.

If you have room you may want to consider a C-band dish 8 foot or bigger.
For a lot of folks here, a c-band dish has more to offer, than a KU dish.
With an C-band dish and a C/KU LNBF you could receive c-band and ku signals from the same c-band dish.

Last edited:
I talked to Brian at SatelliteAV about offering a 36" dish+PLL LNBF+microHD receiver package.
Guess he already had one: M1
http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413

Initially install the dish on a post in the back yard, about chest height.
Very easy to get to it for adjustment & education.
Later, if you add a motor, that easy access will pay off in spades as you learn how to align dish & motor!

Down the road, you'll learn how to connect two or more receivers or dishes.
This site is all about educating people in FTA. ;)
Welcome aboard.

iphone 4

I am aware of the remote areas of Colorado and Wyoming. We stopped for a couple of days at some friends place in Wyoming - no TV in the area at all. I had a post tywraped to my motor home's ladder, so I pointed the MH to the south and went up on the roof set the dish on the post and had 97W in about 5 minutes. Their driveway ran SSE so there was a clear shot to 97W down the driveway. Trees most everywhere else. We had a problem getting the wife away from Daystar and out of the motor home! He had a Primestar 75E in his shed, which I helped him get set up for 97W before I left, and he was going to get a receiver.... I haven't heard if he did. Hey, it has only been 3 years! We have talked,but I forget to ask.

So I have an idea what so are asking - and where.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)