Newbie Joey Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
In preparation for my hopper/joey install tomorrow a question abot the joeys. I'm getting a 2 hopper 2 joey install. I'm going to ask the installer to set it up so both hoppers can see eachother and the joeys can see both hoppers. I'm led to believe that this is a pretty standard set-up.
When setting up timers from a joey, what determines what hopper the the timer is set from? Is it based on hopper availability? Is each joey linked to a particular hopper for that purpose?

In preparation for my hopper/joey install tomorrow a question abot the joeys. I'm getting a 2 hopper 2 joey install. I'm going to ask the installer to set it up so both hoppers can see eachother and the joeys can see both hoppers. I'm led to believe that this is a pretty standard set-up.
When setting up timers from a joey, what determines what hopper the the timer is set from? Is it based on hopper availability? Is each joey linked to a particular hopper for that purpose?

Hey Eagles, check out what I replied to your last post here. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/307994-Newbie-Hopper-Question-HWS/page2

You pick which Hopper does the recording by linking the Joey to it.
Thanks
1) So who does the linking? The installer, or me post install?
2) If a joey is "linked" to a hopper, would that joey still be able to see and play recordings from the non-linked hopper?

I'm going to ask the installer to set it up so both hoppers can see eachother and the joeys can see both hoppers. I'm led to believe that this is a pretty standard set-up.
There is nothing to set up specially. That's how the system works already. If it doesn't work that way, then your installer botched the install.

In the DVR recordings folder, you can select a drop down that flips back and forth between hoppers. You can play previously recorded content from any H/J location.

If you have need of live tuners from both hoppers at one TV location, then you'll have to use a joey. The joey is the only device that can link back and forth to view live tuners on a different hopper.

Last edited:
You cannot necessarily link all the receivers together. You can link a single Joey to both Hoppers (when the download is almost done the second to last screen is linking the Joey to a Hopper, the technician can choose the Hopper it is not already linked to therefore linking to both Hoppers) and the Hoppers from the DVR screen can switch between them to view each Hoppers recordings. But if you are looking to get a total of six tuners from one Hopper...that is not possible. Each Hopper only has three. Now linking both Joeys to both Hoppers basically uses up those three tuners which means you can set a total of six recordings and should be able to view them from any receiver.

You cannot necessarily link all the receivers together. You can link a single Joey to both Hoppers (when the download is almost done the second to last screen is linking the Joey to a Hopper, the technician can choose the Hopper it is not already linked to therefore linking to both Hoppers) and the Hoppers from the DVR screen can switch between them to view each Hoppers recordings. But if you are looking to get a total of six tuners from one Hopper...that is not possible. Each Hopper only has three. Now linking both Joeys to both Hoppers basically uses up those three tuners which means you can set a total of six recordings and should be able to view them from any receiver.

Here's why I'm asking these questions. Maybe this will help you give me the best answer. It's just my wife and I in the house right now. The hoppers will go in the bedroom (Where my wife records all of her favorite shows) and the family room (Where I record sports and shows we watch togather) One joey will go in the guest room, the other in another bedroom. I want to give my wife's hopper the most recording flexibility as far as available tuners. I understand how each hopper can only record x amont of shows and you can't somehow combine both hoppers recording ability. My crystal ball tells me that the spare bedroom may become inhabited by one of our currently moved out children. If that's the case, I don't want timers made on that joey to interfere with my wife's hopper. With that bieng said, should the installer be able to accomodate?

The Joeys will have to ability to link to either Hopper and that's done by the user, not the installer. It's as simple as accessing the Hopper of choice and staying with it. While the one Hopper's tuners can't be accessed by the other Hopper each one can access recordings on either one. The Joeys can access either Hopper and all the recordings on each. This is completely controlled by the user. If the installer simply does a standard install, a duo node, 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, all will be well....

The Joeys will have to ability to link to either Hopper and that's done by the user, not the installer. It's as simple as accessing the Hopper of choice and staying with it. While the one Hopper's tuners can't be accessed by the other Hopper each one can access recordings on either one. The Joeys can access either Hopper and all the recordings on each. This is completely controlled by the user. If the installer simply does a standard install, a duo node, 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, all will be well....

Beautiful, Thanks. I'm pumped for my hopper upgrade.

Well, Hopper 1 can't see the EHD on Hopper 2 - yet. And vice versa. Possible coming attraction.

But worst case you could physically move an EHD between Hoppers.

Well, Hopper 1 can't see the EHD on Hopper 2 - yet. And vice versa. Possible coming attraction.

But worst case you could physically move an EHD between Hoppers.

I only have one EHD. I transferred the contents from all my current receivers to it. I put some stuff on there I don't care about so I can test transferring the recordings on to one of my hoppers to see how it goes. I'm trying to avoid having to move the EHD between hoppers to watch those shows. From what I have been reading here, there have been mixed results but most attempts seem to have been successful. Any thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts