Newbie kindda of lost

One

Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
I took the plunge and bought a HDTV - Mitsubishi 50525 - subscribed to Dish (got a 811 receiver), bought a TIVO (I was told the TIVO does not record in HD, but it was a less expensive solution than buying the HD DVR from Dish) and kept a Panasonic DVD player (progressive).
I got everything working except for the TIVO. I mean, it is on and connceted but it shows no image, no recording. Can anyone please help? How do I connect the 4 pieces? Thanks.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

The Tivo would need to be connected to the 811 either via S-Video or a composite video connection. What is you connection between the Tivo and the 811 now?

Thanks Greyhost. I was away for a couple of days.
Yes, it is connected via a S-Video connection. I also tried the Component connection. Still do not not get anything.
For someone with diminishing neurons like me, it is going to be hard... Sorry. Are the connections below correct?
(a) Dish satellite cable to 811
(b) Component OUT from 811 to Component IN on the TV
(c) S-Video OUT from 811 to S-Video IN on Tivo
(d) S-Video OUT from Tivo to S-Video IN on the TV
(e) Component OUT from DVD player to Component IN on TV
Thanks.

I don't think that the 811 will output HD and SD at the same time (someone correct me if I'm wrong). To record with Tivo, you would have to switch the 811 to SD mode. Are you doing this?

Brad

Maybe to obvious to mention, but make sure your TV is set to dispaly the signal from the S-video input as opposed to the component. OK, someone had to say it.

Bradtothebone said:
I don't think that the 811 will output HD and SD at the same time (someone correct me if I'm wrong). To record with Tivo, you would have to switch the 811 to SD mode. Are you doing this?

Brad

The 811 will output both. I send the component signal to the HDTV and use the s-video to send the signal to two other sets.

G.

gdarwin said:
The 811 will output both. I send the component signal to the HDTV and use the s-video to send the signal to two other sets.

G.

Is the 811 different than the 921. If set for HD output only, only the HD video outputs are enabled. If set for SD output only, only the SD video outputs are enabled. If set for both HD and SD the HD output is reduced to 480P.

Chan

GravelChan said:
Is the 811 different than the 921. If set for HD output only, only the HD video outputs are enabled. If set for SD output only, only the SD video outputs are enabled. If set for both HD and SD the HD output is reduced to 480P.

Chan
Correct. 811 & 921 operate MUCH differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)