Newbie needs advice on buying dire*tv HD receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

37driver

Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
I'm a longtime Dire*tv subscriber and I would like to upgrade to HD. I have a 3 year old, HD ready, Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-36XBR450 television. I have purchased an HD dish on Ebay. I'm not as knowlegeable about digital television as most of the posters here seem to be. I basically plug in and watch. I'm very confused after reading all the information contained here. I would like to buy a good receiver but don't won't to spend a ton of money. Can someone give me some good advice as to which models will work with my setup? Thanks

I say go with the cheapest right now seeing that they will be changing equipment in a few months.

call 1800-600-8977 (this is a D* number) see if they can help you out, many have got $99 non-dvr Hd unit.

Ps: call more than one time

Thanks for the advice

I talked with Robert at Value Electronics and he recommended Dire*tv's H10. I then called Dtv's customer retention department and ended up getting the H10 for no cost. I purchased a DVR from Robert, he was vey helpful. Thanks for the advice. Now if I can just get the dang thing installed.

hello,i am a newbie to hd as well , i am looking to upgrade to a hd receiver and was wondering if i should wait until the dust settles on the mpeg units.
my contract with d* is up in july. any info is appreciated. first time poster.

I am assuming he is stressing the great deals around July & August that combine DirecTV new user offers, along with the NFL & HD packages; and they are normally VERY good deals. Add to that the new satellites and MPEG4 compression scheme and some are speculating some extremely good deals to new users, but DirecTV has always taken care of its current users as well and July is a long time to wait.

I guess I am at a crossroads then. I am looking into the HD TIVO now but am in the 20th (ish) TV market, so am wondering if I should wait for the new stuff or go for it now....

If you can afford the HD TiVo now, and don't mind a little frustration later on, go for it.
It's worth it.

Even if you're not in the first 12 markets, once things are rolled out to them, the upgrade path should be much clearer.

I am thinking that if I go for it now and come up with an easy OTA solution, I will be willing to go through the upgrade providing the cost is minimal.....

Plus its driving me nuts that I don't have it already.

D* is rumored to be making a major announcement around the end of June. Just speculation at this point about what the announcement will be. This would be after Spaceway 2 launches (and I assume successfully).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where will the new satelites be located?

Bet Jazz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)