Where will the new satelites be located?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark Kays

Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I have an HD reciever and TV, but am blocked from recieving the 119 satelite.

I can recieve the 110 and the 101.

Are the new "birds going to be of any help?

I had Voom as well, mainly because of the fact that I have a clear shot to the SE and the sat. they have at 61.5.

I'm blocked for 119 as well, and only get 110 intermittently...I'm hoping the new birds help too

The installer mentioned that the low position of 119 in the sky (29 degrees or something) has created a lot of line of sight problems for D* customers.

DirecTV9 will more than likely be a replacement bird for one of the aging ones. The details for this satellite have yet to be fully released. What is your location? ONly the NE areas would be close to that elevation http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/dtv7s.html and a proper install should have no issues with blockage.

charper1 said:
DirecTV9 will more than likely be a replacement bird for one of the aging ones. The details for this satellite have yet to be fully released. What is your location? ONly the NE areas would be close to that elevation http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/dtv7s.html and a proper install should have no issues with blockage.

Central VA's elevation for the 119 is very low. Trees are a big problem.

Chainsaw time, just kidding! Proper install and trees/building never get along. The last house 2 houses I built, and bought, I made sure to bring my compass to site survey for just such obstructions, but I have been 100% satellite since back in the early 80's with my BUD that I still have & USE!

I am in the Cleveland area.

The more I look at the satellite, the more I wonder why I cant get the 119.

It seems to me that if the installer would have mounted the satelite on a tripod or done something to get a little more elevation off my Porch we could have got it.

Mark Kays said:
I am in the Cleveland area.

The more I look at the satellite, the more I wonder why I cant get the 119.

It seems to me that if the installer would have mounted the satelite on a tripod or done something to get a little more elevation off my Porch we could have got it.
In many cases it takes more work, than a free installer is willing to do. An installer that wants to get you reception can put up to three dishes up, each with a different satellite and combine the signals so you can get reception. This will cost extra and won't be free but it can be done on many lots that otherwise would be treed out. :)

Looking at the house I'm in, it's actually fully surrounded by old old trees - the only reason I can get the 101 is the high elevation and the fact that we were able to shoot through a gap for it. Both 110 and 119 are no gos, even if the dish were mounted on the roof (angle would have been too tight)...most of the trees are at least 70-80 feet tall.

Both neighbors on either side have been having troubles too (both have D*). I've resigned myself to not picking them up - I'm only renting this place for another year before heading back up to No Va, where I own a house...and I know that one gets all three with no obstructions. It'd be sweet though if some of the new birds went higher in the sky to fix the angle a bit out here though

Well being they are ge-synchronous this would be impossible for the satellite to "stay" in the same place unless it is over the equator. Something about the rotation of the earth in relationship to the satellite.....

Now if they had a system like military where you would track the satellite as it moved across the sky:)

Geosynchronous (aka Geostationary)

According to Kepler's Third Law, the orbital period of a satellite in a circular orbit increases with increasing altitude. Space stations and shuttles in Low Earth Orbit (LEO), typically two or four hundred miles above the Earth's surface make between fifteen and sixteen revolutions per day. The Moon, at an altitude of about 240,000 miles (385,000km), takes thirty days to make a complete rotation. Between those extremes lies the "magic" altitude of 22,300 miles (35,786km) at which a satellite's orbital speed exactly matches the rate at which the earth rotates: once every sidereal day (23 hours 56 minutes). In that case, the satellite is said to be geosynchronous.

If a geosynchronous satellite's orbit is not exactly aligned with the equator, known as an inclined orbit, it will appear (when viewed by someone on the ground) to oscillate daily around a fixed point in the sky. As the angle between the orbit and the equator decreases, the magnitude of this oscillation becomes smaller; when the orbit lies entirely over the equator, the satellite remains stationary relative to the Earth's surface – it is said to be geostationary.

Thank you charper1 for explaining that to "move" the satellite to "higher in the sky would imply moving yourself in latitude on the ground.

JimD said:
Looking at the house I'm in, it's actually fully surrounded by old old trees - the only reason I can get the 101 is the high elevation and the fact that we were able to shoot through a gap for it. Both 110 and 119 are no gos, even if the dish were mounted on the roof (angle would have been too tight)...most of the trees are at least 70-80 feet tall.

Both neighbors on either side have been having troubles too (both have D*). I've resigned myself to not picking them up - I'm only renting this place for another year before heading back up to No Va, where I own a house...and I know that one gets all three with no obstructions. It'd be sweet though if some of the new birds went higher in the sky to fix the angle a bit out here though

In Northern, Va is not a big deal since the local come on the 101.
You must be in my area to have a lOS issue with 119.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)