GEOSATpro Newbie needs advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Germ71

Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Blanca, Co
We live in Colorado middle of nowhere so no tv. Looking into FTA Satellite systems. EBay has Geostat system, any advice on other systems or is it better to build a system on our own?

We live in Colorado middle of nowhere so no tv. Looking into FTA Satellite systems. EBay has Geostat system, any advice on other systems or is it better to build a system on our own?
Where is the middle of nowhere in Colo? It would be easier to chat with you by twisted pair. You can send me you tel # to my e-mail and we can take it from there. Stay warm.
K0ELE

Reactions: Germ71
The Geosat Pro 90cm dish is a good dish for starting out with Ku Band. Would recommend going fixed (single satellite) to begin with. That way you fighting with less variables and can get comfortable with aiming the dish. You can add a motor later. As for a receiver, would recommend this one - Store - Michael Electronics  Satellite Dish Accessories. He is VERY active here (moderator) and will treat you right.

I haven't looked lately, but if you watch on flea bay you should be able to get the GeoSat Pro 90cm to the door for something around $100+. It will include a LNBF and mount. Do recommend putting on a pole on the GROUND, as it is much easier to work with on the ground.

Hope that helps a bit. Also be sure that you have a clear view of the southern sky. Any obstructions will kill the signal. Go to dishpointer.com and put in your Latitude and Longitude, it will help you in finding and making sure you can see the satellite.

Another Coloradan!

Here in GJ I have the Geosatpro dish on a motor (I DEFINITELY recommend starting with a fixed dish first, then trying the motor). The channels you get will depend on where you aim your dish. My favorites are 87w (Louisiana PBS), 91w (news), 103W (NBC, NHK) and 125W (PBS east/west, Montana PBS, Create, World, FNX).

To figure out where to put your dish, go to dishpointer.com and type in your address. Drop the pin where you want to put the dish and see if there is anything tall that could block your line of sight.

For channels to watch, check lyngsat.com or sathint.com. You want to check the channels that show no encryption, and 5-digit transponder numbers (ku frequencies, small dish).

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Germ71!!

Any more questions -- Feel free to ask!!

IMHO - I would stick with 103w or 125w. 87w PBS channels can be HARD to reliably get on a 90cm dish. 103w has more diverse channels and music, but if your a pbs buff, then 125w is the way to go.

Ps. Be careful, this is an addictive hobby. 4 years ago, i had one KU dish, now i have 5 KU dishes and 3 Cband dishes... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)