newbie needs help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billp123

Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I have been dissatisfied with DIRECTV's HD picture so I have decieded to cancel my service after I thought my commintment had expired. So I called them and discussed this with their sales rep and they said no problem and I asked if there would a charges and he told me just a disconnect charge would be charged to me of $24.00. So yesterday I received a bill of $287.00 for a early cancellation fee of $287.00. So I called them and they said I had 2 more months left on my 2 year commintment. Well I told them that was never brought up with the sales rep. Their reponse was sorry but you have to pay. I already have comcast now. If I was told this at the time I was talking to the sales rep I would of held out for the last 2 months.
What do I do now?

Wow... You have to fight it.

In a case like this I get upset, but keep it in controll. Do not budge. Tell them that you thought they were a company of integrity, and you appreciated their service, and feel like they cheated you. If that does not work with the CSR, ask for their manager, and get in their face a little. Never cuss or degrade them on any level. You will get nothing from them if you do that.

I have in been a situation like this with my Internet provider. The same thing happened, where I caccelled the day after my contract expired on my "special rate", and I still got a bill for that month for a full month of internet at rate of $29. I called back explained my situation, and even the manger would not budge. I called back the next day, and told a different manager, that I had recorded the phone conversation that the CSR and I had when I cancelled the service, and she clearly stated that I would not get charged for any internet at the regular rate. That got his attention, and he reversed the charges!

I friend of mine has even used the line "My father is a lawyer and would have a field day with this. It won't cost me a dollar because he will not charge his own kids, but it could cost you thousands, and get you in the news"! This has worked for him on more than one occasion. I don't believe I would go this far.

i know you can file a formal complaint but i apologize, i don't remember the specifics. but you're smart to be taping conversations (or at least giving the appearance you are). if i had done that back in january when retention was lying to me, i might still be a customer.

i was lied to so many times, i wish i had a transcript of each and every conversation i had with these people. better business bureau and any reputible newspaper would have had a field day!!

i know you can file a formal complaint but i apologize, i don't remember the specifics. but you're smart to be taping conversations (or at least giving the appearance you are). if i had done that back in january when retention was lying to me, i might still be a customer.

i was lied to so many times, i wish i had a transcript of each and every conversation i had with these people. better business bureau and any reputible newspaper would have had a field day!!

I record all important conversations with the big companies CSR's. They are such big companies that you are literally just a number in the system with a record of what you talked about when you called... according to who types it in anyway. On many occasions, I would have it where the CSR's would not type anything in for the records, or type in something that was never discussed, or my personal favorite, hang up on me!

I usually delete them from my machine after a couple of months, but issues are usually resolved in that time anyway.

Not one time, has any CSR, or manager of the CSR's questioned me after I mention have recorded proof of conversation. I think they must deal with it more than we think if they instantly turn apologetic when this is brought up.

I record all important conversations with the big companies CSR's. They are such big companies that you are literally just a number in the system with a record of what you talked about when you called... according to who types it in anyway. On many occasions, I would have it where the CSR's would not type anything in for the records, or type in something that was never discussed, or my personal favorite, hang up on me!

I usually delete them from my machine after a couple of months, but issues are usually resolved in that time anyway.

Not one time, has any CSR, or manager of the CSR's questioned me after I mention have recorded proof of conversation. I think they must deal with it more than we think if they instantly turn apologetic when this is brought up.

Of course it should be noted, recording of phone conversations have certain legal boundaries, depending on the state, [1].

Fair warning, Michigan [2] is one of 12 states where it is required to get all parties permission before recording a phone conversation, if you are not getting that consent, you are violating state, and/or, federal law.

To boot, there is also a law in Michigan [2] that states revealing that information you recorded carries with it an additional criminal charge.

FWIW, I too live in a state that requires all parties consent to the recording, and I have never ever been able to get any company to agree to be recorded.

I just didn't want to see a bunch of forum readers trying this phone recording thing without knowing what they could be getting into.

[1]: http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

[2]: http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/michigan.html

Last edited:
Well after speaking w/ 2 csr it was finally resolved but I had to stick to my guns on this one and get stern w/ the 2nd csr, but in the the end it was resolved after 20 min of going back and forth. Well I'll have to wait to receive my next statment to see. I also took names and badge numbers which I advise other to do when there are dealing w/ any csr provider. Thanks joedekock.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)