newbie question about recording

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gteague

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
buffalo gap, tx
hi folks. dish newbie here with a hopper. coming from replaytv and then 3 tivo models. i remember cussing at the tivo because it wouldn't do what my replaytv did (including auto commercial skip nearly a decade before hopper!) and i'm repeating the pattern by getting frustrated that i can't yet make the hopper do what my tivo did. i think the worst thing of all is no drag and drop (not even on the dish anywhere site) to re-arrange the priority list--it is tedious beyond all belief to click and click and have the display go somewhere else so you can't even see where your selected program is. the best workaround i've found so far is to go into one of the edit screens where you can just type a priority number but that supposes you know which number to use.

sorry, i digress, i breathe. [g] anyway, for just one frustration, can someone please tell me if there is a way to record by genre? for example, on tivo i would record all travel shows and there was even an option to tell it which shows in that genre not to record.

thanks and hello to all,

/guy

i had to go and look and sure enough there's a 'seek and record' button i missed seeing. i do appreciate the info.

but this isn't really a genre search, is it? you'd pick up every mention of the word 'travel' in the title and description, right? even if it wasn't really a travel show.

and i doubt i could use this method to record (for a hypothetical example, natch!) every adult-only show as i could on the tivo although i did notice that when you hit the left arrow key you get a filter creator where you can select the rating of 'nr/ao' but there doesn't seem to be a way to record all 'nr/ao' shows, you have to go through the list and manually set your recordings unless there's some trick i'm missing there.

thanks again for the fast response. i can use this as a workaround even if it isn't quite the same.

/guy

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)